Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Springleaf - The Podcast

Started by phantom_power, November 21, 2023, 09:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

First episode out now. Haven't heard it yet but very excited

Twilkes

Say your prayers which are brought to you today in association with Popchips, never fried always real.

Utter Shit

Listened to the first episode of this and it's...terrible? Just me? Acaster's such a reliably brilliant comic that I was honestly shocked by how bad it was. Maybe I need to give it a few episodes, or get used to the style or something. But I didn't get it at all.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 24, 2023, 03:57:44 PMListened to the first episode of this and it's...terrible? Just me? Acaster's such a reliably brilliant comic that I was honestly shocked by how bad it was. Maybe I need to give it a few episodes, or get used to the style or something. But I didn't get it at all.

Same, first episode and I didn't like it :(  I think that's mostly down to it being a crime caper though. I'm not interested in undercover police, heists, double-crossing and all that stuff so the story putting me off straightaway didn't set me up to like anything else, sadly. Amazing cast and surprise cameos, but that wasn't enough.

phantom_power

I really enjoyed it. Not hilarious but enough laughs to keep it going and the story was fun and the cameos surprising

merri

It all felt a bit Comic Relief/panto with various friends being crowbarred in. Happy to let it develop as few podcasts are generally good from the off.

SteveDave

I laughed a lot at Domhall Gleeson's attempted Swiss accent and Acaster's "Going method like Darren Day-Lewis"

Quote from: SteveDave on November 28, 2023, 02:33:34 PMI laughed a lot at Domhall Gleeson's attempted Swiss accent and Acaster's "Going method like Darren Day-Lewis"
Romesh was very relaxed and it came across as conversational, unlike some of last week's participants.

Hat FM

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 24, 2023, 03:57:44 PMListened to the first episode of this and it's...terrible? Just me? Acaster's such a reliably brilliant comic that I was honestly shocked by how bad it was. Maybe I need to give it a few episodes, or get used to the style or something. But I didn't get it at all.

haven't listened to this yet but had to give up on that giving up social media book due to the above factors so now a bit worried...

Twilkes

He's no actor-actor, despite most of his act being an act. Never had longform writing credits either, which might start to show itself over the course of ten episodes, if it hasn't already.

Not as bad as Thing Fish though.

merri

On listening to E2, I think my issue is that the dialogue sounds like a table read rather than acted out. It doesn't feel like a natural cadence.

phantom_power

I think that's sort of deliberate. Everyone is slightly over-acting. I suppose you either like that or not but I am fine with it

Twilkes

Quote from: merri on November 30, 2023, 05:42:50 AMOn listening to E2, I think my issue is that the dialogue sounds like a table read rather than acted out. It doesn't feel like a natural cadence.

I think that's the Radio 4 effect - quite often I've heard comedians I've known and liked appear on a radio sitcom or sketch show and they do this odd spoon-up-the-arsehole thing, like they have to be acceptable to seventy year old headmistresses or something. Not that the Springleaf cast sound like they've got spoons up their arseholes, but Romesh's performance kind of puts the others into perspective, especially when comparing it to something like the Boosh radio series.

I'm out, it's not for me, and hopefully it makes the people who paid for it happy.

Setting aside anyone who has a formal acting background, comedians who are used to reading scripted stuff aloud at short notice (e.g. Romesh) will sound more natural than those that aren't. I don't think they're doing it to seem posh, they just don't have the skills to not make it sound stilted, and why would they?

Quote from: Twilkes on November 29, 2023, 11:35:45 AMHe's no actor-actor, despite most of his act being an act. Never had longform writing credits either, which might start to show itself over the course of ten episodes, if it hasn't already.

Not as bad as Thing Fish though.

He did a pilot 'We the Jury' which I thought was great at the time but it wasn't well received apparently, didn't go to series anyway.

It's on YouTube so I might refresh my memory:

https://youtu.be/Q1deLoy__cI?si=Epnlqa05Udpk2bbf

We The Jury is the reason I'm avoiding this and a lot of the criticism in this thread chimes with my admittedly faint memories of that. I think this sort of thing works when Acaster is doing it in his stand up but is unbearable getting people to actually act it out

Hat FM

listened to the first two eps. nice to hear laugh out london get some shout outs. saw James down there plenty of times. remember once he accused everyone of only being there to see the other act (Kathryn Ryan)

anyway, as others have suggested some of the acting in this is terrible. like sixth form stuff and they are reading it for the first time. some aren't too bad. is that Kemah Bob playing his old crime partner? she is good. it's made me laugh a couple of times. It's nice that he is able to try new things anyway. Hope his last show gets a proper release as i only saw WIP.