Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 12th Man

Started by Peacock Johnson, November 30, 2023, 08:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Been revisiting my 12th Man CDs and still loving them as much as ever.

Yes yes some of the "funny foreign names" stuff might sound bad today but I think it stays just the right side of the line.

Obviously a lot of swearing, which could be wearisome but the odd belter stand out - love "look fuck off and fuck off now" and Bill Lawry's "piss off your out" plus the more low key "hasn't he smacked that out of its arse".  I still use "boring as batshit" a lot too.

The Final Dig is the best, the long form story works and plays to all the strengths of the commentators being sent up.  Boned had its moments but the meta stuff falls a bit flat I reckon.

Yeah liked most of his stuff having been introduced to it during my brief migration to Australia in the noughties.

"Puma pants Richie!"

"Well just change them and carry on Bill"

famethrowa

Yes I still have great affection for his stuff, he hasn't been cancelled too badly about it. The first single hit big at our school, basically a bunch of silly names and swearing and it was a joy to see it blossom into long form with the Wired World of Sports albums. My fave is Bill Lawry This Is Your Life, proper pathos and absurdism there.

evilcommiedictator

Super Effort that! I thought that the more self-referential it got, the worse it got, but then again, things like "Gerry see-you see-you, I see you too Jerry Jerry" is so dumb yet so great, and really sticks in your memory. Like Imran Khan cracking one through the covers, or having lots of women wanting to be down his member's end, and face a couple of balls