Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Andre Braugher dies

Started by Icehaven, December 13, 2023, 06:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Brooklyn 99's Captain Holt, only 61 as well. Wuntch reportedly delighted.

dead-ced-dead

Really excellent, too, in Homicide Life on the Street. Which I imagine will be talked about on Picture Box.

Mr Trumpet

Holt has to be one of the best US sitcom characters of recent years. A real shame. Braugher had a memorable turn in the film Glory as well, which we had to watch in secondary school.

Mr Vegetables

I'm properly sad about this. I don't think Brooklyn 99 is very popular here, but I legitimately think Braugher's performance in it is incredible— he's somehow able to play a character that seems grounded and sincere even when delivering these absurdly overblown lines.

He never comes across as being in on the joke, and it makes jokes that really aren't very good on paper incredible. Like there's the episode where his call sign is "Wet blanket," and then at the end he says he's going to change it, and says the word "Velvet..." with such passion and determination you start laughing (because a velvet blanket is a very literal upgrade to a wet one, but you can see how Captain Holt would get there in some absurd way). But then he follows up with "...THUNDER" with even more passion and determination, and it's a subversion which is completely absurd, and it absolutely only works because the character completely believes in it.

So yes. I've never seen anyone be able to apply non-comedic acting to comedy in a way that's as good as this. He made me think a lot more about how delivery worked and when it was good; like he was so good he changed my understanding of what was possible. So it sucks a lot that he is gone at the youngest end of old.

Egyptian Feast

He was ostensibly the straight man in B99, but was the funniest character by far for me. His innate gravitas was a such a gift for the show. You could tell the writers loved inserting ridiculous phrases like 'Kwazy Kupkakes' into his dialogue. Imagine hearing some absolute nonsense you'd written being read out in that incredible voice - what a privilege.

Wezzo

Ugh, such a loss. The obits will focus on Homicide and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is fair enough, but he's also absolutely wonderful in the underrated comedy drama series Men of a Certain Age

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on December 13, 2023, 09:43:01 AMI'm properly sad about this. I don't think Brooklyn 99 is very popular here, but I legitimately think Braugher's performance in it is incredible— he's somehow able to play a character that seems grounded and sincere even when delivering these absurdly overblown lines.

He never comes across as being in on the joke, and it makes jokes that really aren't very good on paper incredible. Like there's the episode where his call sign is "Wet blanket," and then at the end he says he's going to change it, and says the word "Velvet..." with such passion and determination you start laughing (because a velvet blanket is a very literal upgrade to a wet one, but you can see how Captain Holt would get there in some absurd way). But then he follows up with "...THUNDER" with even more passion and determination, and it's a subversion which is completely absurd, and it absolutely only works because the character completely believes in it.

So yes. I've never seen anyone be able to apply non-comedic acting to comedy in a way that's as good as this. He made me think a lot more about how delivery worked and when it was good; like he was so good he changed my understanding of what was possible. So it sucks a lot that he is gone at the youngest end of old.

Agree completely. And to add, I don't think B99's attempts at handling heavier topics like racism, police corruption etc would have worked without Braugher's talent and gravitas.

I dug out this clip for the "VindicatIOOOON" at the end, but it's the first line that's a perfect example of his delivery. "Made? No, I birthed her."

dead-ced-dead

Not comedy, but I've just seen the entirety of Homicide: Life on the Street S01E05, "Three Men and Adena" is on Youtube.

It often ranks as one of the finest TV episodes ever, and that's in no small part due to Braugher's performance.

Memorex MP3

Great actor, kind of assumed he was destined for a best actor Oscar nomination playing an old dude a decade or so from now

Blinder Data

very sad. the best BB9 character. loved when him and Terry got together

what he squeezes out of the dialogue is amazing. you could listen to him read the phone book, genuinely.

also, quite shocked to hear that he's not gay in real life! what an actor

The Mollusk

I binged shitloads of B99 in the first lockdown. For a comedy packed with outspoken and singular characters it rarely puts a foot wrong, and while it's not brilliant it is consistently watchable and enjoyable which is highly commendable considering how much there is of it.

Holt was the adorably stern centre of gravity, with his understated strength and dignity that was a coiled spring just waiting for silliness which rarely came but was so satisfying when it did. His character was instrumental in what made the show so comforting and it genuinely played a big part in keeping my depression and anxiety at bay when I watched it.

Rolf Lundgren

He was phenomenal in Homicide and baffled as to how he didn't have a successful film career off the back of it. A truly underrated actor.

markburgle

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on December 13, 2023, 09:43:01 AMSo yes. I've never seen anyone be able to apply non-comedic acting to comedy in a way that's as good as this.

Ray Romano told a story on WTF about Braugher on Men Of A Certain age. There was a bit where Braugher's character describes how he's going to confront someone, then it goes:

(pause)
ROMANO: You scared?
BRAUGHER: Little bit.

They'd written it with that cliche sitcom rhythm in mind where the retort comes immediately, but when they rehearsed it Braugher left an even longer pause before the retort, which they all thought was much better

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on December 13, 2023, 09:43:01 AMI'm properly sad about this. I don't think Brooklyn 99 is very popular here, but I legitimately think Braugher's performance in it is incredible— he's somehow able to play a character that seems grounded and sincere even when delivering these absurdly overblown lines.

That's a great post and a lovely tribute to the man, and it really sums up just how incredibly talented he was. I feel a bit numb due to the amount of famous deaths that have taken place lately, but I'm certain at some point next year I'll remember he's no longer around and will be really gutted, as that happened to me a lot in 2017.

Snrub

Really really good post and those observations are spot on (although would disagree and I think B99 is very popular over here - maybe one for another time!).

Had never seen him in anything other than B99, time to change that I think

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Snrub on December 13, 2023, 09:26:58 PMReally really good post and those observations are spot on (although would disagree and I think B99 is very popular over here - maybe one for another time!).

Had never seen him in anything other than B99, time to change that I think

Do yourself a favour, watch the Homicide episode above. It's a bottle episode and you can pick up the plot threads quickly enough.

Bad Ambassador

That snap at the end is perfect.

Snrub

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 13, 2023, 09:36:10 PMDo yourself a favour, watch the Homicide episode above. It's a bottle episode and you can pick up the plot threads quickly enough.

I'm sold. Thank you!

Des Wigwam

Quite sad about this. Thought he was great in Homicide LotS.

Was never an avid watcher of Brooklyn 99 but for a period it seemed to be available to watch from various seasons a la Friends of an evening. It's so rapid-fire and disposable in its script but this bit made me laugh a lot:

I think the storyline for this is the Jake and Holt go into witness protection and work as holiday reps.

There's also a bit where Holt and Jake are doing good cop bad cop but Holt loses it  something like phD title vs MD.

Anyhow - for Brooklyn 99 he was far and away the star for me, Clive.

Des Wigwam

Found it!

The bit where he says "anything can mean anything" really gets me.