Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best 'one-and-done' characters

Started by Mwnger, December 28, 2023, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

I've watched Seinfeld a lot over the years and I'm struggling to think of single-scene actors who had a decent bit but were only used once - I guess good storytelling doesn't encourage one-shot characters, and good economics doesn't encourage bringing in an actor just for twenty seconds of footage.

The lady in the homeless shelter was one, not hilarious but held her own against the main characters:

And these guys made the most of being random pool guys:

neveragain

The haunted guide at Stump Hole Caverns. He came back onstage twice but not in the show, so does he count?

If not, either of Gatiss' other monologue characters (necrophiliac mortuary attendant or lonely bingo caller.)

Edit: Also! The terrifying Bruce Forsyth in Toast of London.

beanheadmcginty

Pat Mustard
Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells
Mr Rottweiler

Scrapey Fish

Colm and Mrs Carberry from the racism episode of Father Ted.

Interestingly, Ann Callanan appears to only have three acting credits to her name

Twilkes

Spaced is probably another show that had a few of these - this one's kind of cheating as it's more than one cut-scene but all on the same set and the same part of the story - Derren Litten as Daisy's nefariously obstructive benefits clerk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpW2LRknmbM#t=2m33s

I still use the delivery of 'just over there on the stand' for various phrases to this day.

LordMorgan

Cowboy Bob, the RV salesman is call of the simpsons

Albert brooks totally steals the show (again)

Hilarious dialogue especially when checking homers credit rating

You ever know a siren to be good
No, Mr. Simpson, it's not. It's a bad siren. That's the computer in case I went blind telling me, "Sell the vehicle to this fellah and you're out of business."

Tony Tony Tony

Talfryn Thomas as Gladys suspected peeping Tom brother in Hi De Hi is the perfect perv type.

He also played a press photographer/ journalist in six episodes of Dads Army so doesn't count for that one. As an actor he did seem inherently comic probably due to his features (big teeth small specs) and I'm sure I read somewhere that he only lasted a couple of Dads Army episodes despite Perry and Croft being keen to keep him on because Arthur Lowe demanded his removal after he stole scenes from Lowe.

Des Wigwam

Can you count Kevin Eldon's kitchen salesman in IAP? He does appear twice in the episode but it doesn't hinge around him.

In fact Kevin Eldon can possibly lay claim to a few of these but my brain isn't working right now.

madhair60

Shaxberd

Quote from: Des Wigwam on December 29, 2023, 09:49:12 AMCan you count Kevin Eldon's kitchen salesman in IAP? He does appear twice in the episode but it doesn't hinge around him.

In fact Kevin Eldon can possibly lay claim to a few of these but my brain isn't working right now.

Yes, absolutely marvellous as the cleaner in Black Books. His delivery and mannerisms are just perfect.

Twilkes

Quote from: Des Wigwam on December 29, 2023, 09:49:12 AMCan you count Kevin Eldon's kitchen salesman in IAP? He does appear twice in the episode but it doesn't hinge around him.

Auctioneer in the Detectorists, it's like he was from a totally different universe to the rest of the characters!

Senior Baiano

David Essex in Stella Street, coming to view Dirk Bogarde's house.

"So, this is where the magic happens, eh?"

"Er, quite."

Sebastian Cobb

The guy who Ted threatens for bullying Ralph on a shoot.

Milo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 29, 2023, 01:25:58 PMThe guy who Ted threatens for bullying Ralph on a shoot.

Oh I absolutely loved the end of that. "don't walk alone at night in these woods, sor".

idunnosomename

Upcoming season thirty-whatever will probably have an episode about Guy Incognito

lauraxsynthesis

More Eldon for the list then. His turn in Red Dwarf and particularly his smeg ups, if we can count that - 1.08

Mr Farenheit

From the Sopranos

"Oh Shit!" waddling guy

Everyone in the pizza parlour scene. "Thats a custom job"

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on December 29, 2023, 03:50:37 PMFrom the Sopranos

"Oh Shit!" waddling guy

Everyone in the pizza parlour scene. "Thats a custom job"

Does the standup in the old folks home appear once or twice? I hope it's once so he can be included - the Polish Rashomon joke often floats across my mind.

Mr Farenheit

I looked it up...unfortunately he appears twice!

Tony Tony Tony

Surely Phoenix Nights cornered this market?

Spoiler alert
Blue Suede Shoe gets me every time
[close]

Gulftastic

The luvvy postman in The Young Ones 'Nasty'.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 29, 2023, 05:04:14 PMThe luvvy postman in The Young Ones 'Nasty'.

STOOONE THE CROWS, THE WIFE WILL NEVER BELIEVE THIS 'UN!

turnstyle

Quote from: lankyguy95 on December 28, 2023, 06:00:35 PMObvious answer but Matthew Holness as the IT guy in The Office. Just the couple of scenes in one episode IIRC.

Great choice, but if I was an insufferable pedantic pillock (and thank god that's not the case), I'd argue that he's basically playing the same character from the earlier Bruiser sketch (also featuring Martin Freeman!).

Spudgun

I've got a definite soft spot for Tony in Father Ted, the one who finally snaps and tells Graham Norton to shut up when trapped in the cave. I completely relate to his end-of-tether-ness.

dontpaintyourteeth

lazyhour

Interesting how those Bruiser sketches are crap but the turn in the Office is really good. It would appear that swears don't always equal great comedy, and the actual character works better without them.

dr beat

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 29, 2023, 01:25:58 PMThe guy who Ted threatens for bullying Ralph on a shoot.

Isn't it also Simon Day who turns up as the customer who outdoes the Suits You tailors? That's a good one off.

dr beat