Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:03:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thanks CaB: comedy you love that this site turned you onto

Started by madhair60, January 18, 2024, 07:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

for me it's essentially everything, though the enthusiasm shown to PFFR's output made me into a lifer. There's also Bellamy's People and Brian Pern, the former of which was something I would otherwise have completely missed. I also owe my knowledge of the show Absolutely to CaB, who enthused so much about the DVD release that I just had to grab it sight unseen.

The big one was Stewart Lee, who I had never even heard of until this site started bogging up Comedy Vehicle.

selectivememory

Yeah, the PFFR stuff, Jon Glaser, Limmy, Nathan Fielder... all thanks to CaB that I originally got into them. More recently, I think it was this place that turned me onto Bill Hader's show Barry.

madhair60

ah yeah Limmy, of course! that was another CaB one, fantastic. Burnistoun's pilot off the back of that, which I love. None of the rest of the series really matched that pilot

Lewman

Lots.

Most surprising one for me was reading a thread one day about a YouTube animated series called 'The Vale'.

Never knew I wanted it in my life. Miss it now its finished. Happy to see the creators being picked up by the BBC moving onto bigger things

@madhair60 Didn't you change your opinion on Auntie Donna after a thread on here?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Loads of stuff. 15 Storeys High is my all time favourite sitcom and though I did find an episode by chance in about 2010 I never would have bothered giving the whole thing any time were it not for people on here evangelising about it.

As for stuff I'd never heard of, the Armando Iannucci shows, the work of PFFR and other weirdo American shit, Adam and Joe, Lee and Herring, Limmy, and all the stuff Chris Morris did other than Brass Eye (which I was already familiar with to an extent and was what brought me to this site)

Quote from: Lewman on January 18, 2024, 07:36:03 PMLots.

Most surprising one for me was reading a thread one day about a YouTube animated series called 'The Vale'.

Never knew I wanted it in my life. Miss it now its finished. Happy to see the creators being picked up by the BBC moving onto bigger things

Oh yeah this as well

Pink Gregory

Has to be Down the Line for me, and I guess Blue Jam, so many in jokes and usernames suddenly made sense.

People enthusing about Colin From Accounts and How to With John Wilson turned me on to some profoundly good shows that I would otherwise never have bothered with, sometimes all it takes is a little push

thenoise

I never would have watched Derek all the way through if it hadn't been for you lot.

Egyptian Feast

I got into Mr Show after seeing a couple of clips Barry Admin posted on the homepage. One was the pre-recorded phone-in and I think the other was the Teardrop Awards. It was enough to make me order the region 1 boxset off eBay, which is probably overdue a dusting off.

Others include Nathan Fielder (still haven't caught The Rehearsal or The Curse though) and, best of all, The Venture Bros. I'm sure there's a ton of others.

Norton Canes

2 Point 4 Children was something I'd thought about catching up on at some point but it was Fambo's thread that provided the catalyst for that, so thanks Fambo!

lankyguy95

Norm Macdonald. I knew of him already but maybe eight or nine years ago someone posted a clip of his standup (the "Janice" bit), and I fell in love.

Lewman

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 18, 2024, 08:32:21 PMNorm Macdonald. I knew of him already but maybe eight or nine years ago someone posted a clip of his standup (the "Janice" bit), and I fell in love.

This.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: thenoise on January 18, 2024, 07:53:56 PMI never would have watched Derek all the way through if it hadn't been for you lot.

How many good recommendations does this cancel out?

jobotic

Yeah Norm McDonald for me too.

I knew of 15 Storeys High too but thanks to this place I bought the DVD from the BBC shop for a fiver. Christ it's good.

Probably wouldn't have watched any James Acaster if it wasn't for here and would have just looked on him as yet another panel show bloke.

And although there wasn't  much about them on CaB there was a thread about podcasts that got me listening to The Beef and Dairy Network and St. Elwick's Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast. Which I love.

Oh and On Cinema.

So quite a lot. Thank you!

Dusty Substance

The Best Show, back when it was still on WFMU.

On Cinema, back when it was just a three minute podcast recorded during the filming of The Comedy. Absolutely insane how On Cinema has evolved since those days.

George Lucas Talk Show

Glebe

DrGreggles

Disc_4

Top three that I've personally consumed thanks to CaB would be:

The Detectorists (finally watched the first 2 seasons this year after reading about it on CaB)
Norm Macdonald
Athletico Mince (though I haven't listened to it in ages)

Thanks CaB.

dissolute ocelot

Similar answers.

Detectorists
15 Storeys High
Taskmaster, which I'd watched some of the first couple of series on Dave, but then never bothered seeking it out for ages till I saw the threads here
And watching a lot of objectively terrible shit like the slither guy
Also not sure it was here I first heard about Big Boys, but no idea where else it would be.

Oosp

Oosp

buttgammon

Limmy, Bargearse and Mr Show. The latter is now my favourite sketch show ever and also the first thing I put on if I'm stoned, so I'm very grateful!

studpuppet

Ray Travez

Nathan4You, Limmy, three bean salad podcast, Freddy Got Fingered(!)

Neomod

Comedy Bang Bang nee Comedy Death Ray and all of those assorted with it.

Recommended back in Feb 2011.

It's brought me countless hours of entertainment so thanks to you Nik Drou.

Pimhole

On Cinema and Always Sunny. The latter in particular I wouldn't have stuck with without the annual threads on here making it seem worth my time.

There would be more, but I just used to notice what people on Twitter were going on about. But I'm off there now so I'll be relying on this place more and more. UP YOUR GAME.

Jerzy Bondov

Documental definitely. Never in a million years would I have got into that without CaB.