Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Characters You Dislike irrationally

Started by Tony Tony Tony, January 27, 2024, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Mention in the George and Mildred/Man About the House thread brought memories of a this horror...

I know his character was written as an obnoxious precocious little shit as a device in order to humiliate George, but as a youngster I hated him with a passion. Even his name, Tristran, pissed me off.

You got any comedy characters that engender fury in your life?

As another example I give you Terry from Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads. Boorish, self centred, lazy and miserable.

Shaxberd

April from Parks and Rec. She has some good moments but I found it irritating how the show wants to you see her as grumpy but lovable (like Rosa in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, another Michael Schur show) but she's frequently just a bully. A less cosy show could do good things with a character who's pointlessly hostile but it sits weirdly in Parks and Rec's nicey-nice world.

Twilkes

I wouldn't have any of Red Dwarf in my house.

DrGreggles

Fambo Number Mive

Cannot stand Joey from Friends. Tedious meathead character. Much preferred Chandler.

The Roofdog

Phoebe is the worst of the Coffee Friends surely, that episode where she steals a child's cat yet we're all supposed to think Ross is the dick for being the only one to stand up to her

Fambo Number Mive

That's a good point.

Really I feel Chandler is the only likable one. A shame they didnt give him the spin off.

Sebastian Cobb

Michael in Lead Balloon, but generally most characters played by Tony Gardner, I'm sure he's fine but he's almost always playing that superficially nice but very pass-agg guy and I really can't stand him.

SavageHedgehog

Possibly an unpopular opinion right now but I really couldn't stand Chandler, he was like a clothing catalogue's idea of a "cynical, acerbic Gen-Xer". Remember The One Where he swore off "Matt Speak" for an episode and at the end he couldn't take it anymore and let forth with gems like "Hornswoggle? You're dating a character from Fragile Rock"?

Gladys

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 27, 2024, 03:22:44 PMMichael in Lead Balloon, but generally most characters played by Tony Gardner, I'm sure he's fine but he's almost always playing that superficially nice but very pass-agg guy and I really can't stand him.

Probably drawing heavily on his medical background as a G.P

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 27, 2024, 10:55:28 AMMention in the George and Mildred/Man About the House thread brought memories of a this horror...

I know his character was written as an obnoxious precocious little shit as a device in order to humiliate George, but as a youngster I hated him with a passion. Even his name, Tristran, pissed me off.

You got any comedy characters that engender fury in your life?

As another example I give you Terry from Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads. Boorish, self centred, lazy and miserable.

God yes, that's a perfectly rational hatred that I shared.

Not a sitcom but in the mid to late 80s there was a precocious youth who won Countdown loads and he was a smug wee shit. He got to the quarter finals of the champions of champions before losing for the first time and he was close to tears. My mum told me off for laughing too much.

I also hated the oleaginous neighbour in Ever Decreasing Circles. Odious would be home breaker.

chip

Loudermilk. I hear it gets good but that first ep was just too much sardonic, mean-spirited arseholery.

dontpaintyourteeth

I wanted to say whatever the fuck Billy Eichner's character was called in Parks and Rec but that one seems perfectly rational to me, he has just one note and it sounds like shit.

Irrationally hate is genuinely difficult to answer.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: chip on January 27, 2024, 05:36:36 PMLoudermilk. I hear it gets good but that first ep was just too much sardonic, mean-spirited arseholery.
Christ, I saw the trailer for that on Netflix and actually sang the word "nooooooo"

Video Game Fan 2000

Grassygnome

I never cared much for Hyacinth Bucket.
Filthy, Rich and Catflap clearly didn't appeal to many people either.
Nor did I think much of all the characters from Frasier except Roz - and that's just because I fancied her.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Lapsedcat on January 27, 2024, 03:27:45 PM

Put me down as an extra vote for this - I think she was called Mimi in the show. Whilst I could never bring myself to imagine Michelle with Renee it was the other way round with him and Mimi.

Her introduction as a sexually desirable character meant Allo Allo lost any sense of. realism for me.

Twilkes

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 27, 2024, 09:48:41 PMWhilst I could never bring myself to imagine Michelle with Renee it was the other way round with him and Mimi.

Her introduction as a sexually desirable character meant Allo Allo lost any sense of. realism for me.

Michelle was in the resistance, the waitresses were Yvette and Maria.

It took someone hitting René with a tree for me to realise that none of the cast were French (aged 9).

Video Game Fan 2000

re: the realism of "Allo Allo"

while mimi is one of the worst sitcom characters ever without a doubt, i think maria broke the suspension of disbelief more because she was actually stunningly attractive whereas the sexiness of the rest of the cast was stereotypical hon he hon he hon voulez vous coucher avec moi "sexy french person". having someone who more Hammer Horror sexy rather than dirty postcard sexy, what a sexy person would be in the world of Noels House Party,  just made the unreality of it worse.

Brundle-Fly

Feste from Twelfth Night (1602). Lurking behind a box-tree, sotto voce, patronising jester cunt.

jobotic

Erm, Derek Trotter. Most people in that programme actually apart from maybe Rodney and Racquel. They seem alright.

Quote from: chip on January 27, 2024, 05:36:36 PMLoudermilk. I hear it gets good but that first ep was just too much sardonic, mean-spirited arseholery.

This. He's a dick.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Shaxberd on January 27, 2024, 11:13:45 AMApril from Parks and Rec. She has some good moments but I found it irritating how the show wants to you see her as grumpy but lovable (like Rosa in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, another Michael Schur show) but she's frequently just a bully. A less cosy show could do good things with a character who's pointlessly hostile but it sits weirdly in Parks and Rec's nicey-nice world.

Totally agree, she's ultimately just a completely unlikable dick. Acerbic gothy teenager is fine as a starting point for a main character but she barely develops over the 6 years of the show and she's also always cloyingly held up by the other characters and the show itself as this amazing person worthy of our love and respect while she's hanging upside down in a coffin going 'god Jerry your such a cunt, btw I just murdered your firstborn haha '.

Art Bear

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 27, 2024, 10:20:53 PMre: the realism of "Allo Allo"

i think maria broke the suspension of disbelief more because she was actually stunningly attractive whereas the sexiness of the rest of the cast was stereotypical hon he hon he hon voulez vous coucher avec moi "sexy french person". having someone who more Hammer Horror sexy rather than dirty postcard sexy, what a sexy person would be in the world of Noels House Party,  just made the unreality of it worse.

The actress who played Maria, Francesca Gonshaw, sounds like a GBOL.

Terry Torpid

The main bloke from How I Met Your Mother. It's a big problem when the main character is the least funny or likeable. It's an irrational dislike because I don't remember him doing anything particularly horrible, he just has this selfish stuck up air about him, and all these unwritten rules about how everything in his life is supposed to play out. If something doesn't unfold in some preordained magical way, it's ruined apparently. Utterly tedious.

I also can't stand the one played by Willow from Buffy. She was extremely irrational and stubborn, but we were supposed to side with her over the put-upon big fella she was with who had to bend to her every whim.

I wasn't too keen on any of the characters really, so much so that I can't remember their names (except Barney). I don't know why I watched it.

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 27, 2024, 09:48:41 PMPut me down as an extra vote for this - I think she was called Mimi in the show. Whilst I could never bring myself to imagine Michelle with Renee it was the other way round with him and Mimi.

Mimi LaBonq.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 28, 2024, 04:08:32 AMTotally agree, she's ultimately just a completely unlikable dick. Acerbic gothy teenager is fine as a starting point for a main character but she barely develops over the 6 years of the show and she's also always cloyingly held up by the other characters and the show itself as this amazing person worthy of our love and respect while she's hanging upside down in a coffin going 'god Jerry your such a cunt, btw I just murdered your firstborn haha '.

While I'm not fully onboard with this I must admit the last time I did a rewatch I found myself getting quite cross with her and Andy being lazy ungrateful complete dickheads to everyone when they first got together

Utter Shit

Gavin and Stacey from Gavin and Stacey. A spoiled, lazy twat and her drippy boyfriend who can't act. Every other character in the show is good fun and it's a consistently entertaining show (as long as you ignore the dreadful Christmas special from a couple of years ago), it's mad that the entire thing centres around two such unlikeable characters that you're supposed to love.