Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:22:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Characters You Dislike irrationally

Started by Tony Tony Tony, January 27, 2024, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
The very start of Series 2 Episode 1 of Gavin & Stacey when the latter explains to Gavin that she rushed off the plane returning from their honeymoon because "There was this woman next to me in a veil, fiddling with her shoe and I thought, "Oh, my God, terrorist!" is a bit rum, I'll give you that.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on February 06, 2024, 09:41:02 PMI don't like Mackenzie Crook's character in Detectorists. Always being adored by impossibly good-looking, sensible women despite looking like a long-dead CEX manager and being as useful as a brain-damaged dog.

The irrational part comes from the fact that it's a programme with values I largely support, and the script expects me to root for him, which I don't.

I found myself really disliking him a lot in the last special, which I think is testament to the bad writing and performances.

jfjnpxmy

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 07, 2024, 04:02:34 PMI've posted before about how I really can't stand any of the characters in Gavin and Stacey, but Nessa really does stick out for me. I think it's that bullshit quirky namedropping thing. The intention was obviously for her to seem mysterious and aloof - what kind of life has she led? - but instead she comes off like the bullshitter you wish wasn't in your friend group.

I think the writers intended that at first, she was supposed to be an obvious bullshitter like Simon the IT Guy but then they gave in to temptation and had some of her shite turn out to be true and Fucked It.

Same thing happened to Super Hans in Peep Show. He went from being a slightly better poser than Jez to being the KOOOOOOOOOKY ADVENTURES man. Ha ha that wacky Hans, he throws a rave so scary nobody can face it and then vans it Macedonia after running barefoot! Ha ha! Wacky!

Anyway Tim and Dawn are a pair of cunts, and if their courtship consisted of him moping after her while doing Nothing for 5 years and her occasionally toying with him, their relationship is gonna be fucking doomed. Especially since Dawn is unhappy with Lee but won't ever say what's up.

ros vulgaris

The only time I remember being annoyed at the Dectectorists was Lance letting his ex wife back in his life. Scarcely believable dotedness.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ros vulgaris on February 09, 2024, 07:29:11 PMThe only time I remember being annoyed at the Dectectorists was Lance letting his ex wife back in his life. Scarcely believable dotedness.

Is this a special thing (not seen it) or just generally. Because if it's the latter it's probably worth it just for the 'because he's a cunt' line which really seemed to come out of nowhere.

dissolute ocelot

Nessa is my favourite of the main characters in Gavin and Stacey (I mean what's the competition?) as she was actually funny sometimes. But she was certainly ruined as a character as it progressed. She definitely worked better the less we saw of her - the idea that outside of her friendship with Stacey was a whole other mysterious life was funny. And I've known people a bit like that who have all the stories about their wild past but actually spend their days feeding pigeons. But the writers (her and Corden of course) seriously ran out of material. Nobody wanted an on off romance between her and giant singing cat man.

Quote from: ros vulgaris on February 09, 2024, 07:29:11 PMThe only time I remember being annoyed at the Dectectorists was Lance letting his ex wife back in his life. Scarcely believable dotedness.
It was a bit contrived but I don't think it was unbelievable. He was kind of a doormat throughout, but it was manufactured for ruining his chances at happiness at the perfect point in the plot.