Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Characters You Dislike irrationally

Started by Tony Tony Tony, January 27, 2024, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on January 28, 2024, 11:43:35 AMWhile I'm not fully onboard with this I must admit the last time I did a rewatch I found myself getting quite cross with her and Andy being lazy ungrateful complete dickheads to everyone when they first got together

I haven't watched PAR for years but seem to remember Tom being a massive dickhead as well.

neov1974

Flasheart
Appreciate this might get me kicked out of here, but Rik Mayall dialled up to 11 is nails on a chalkboard to me

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 28, 2024, 11:48:15 AMI haven't watched PAR for years but seem to remember Tom being a massive dickhead as well.

Sex pest Tom

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: jobotic on January 28, 2024, 12:12:03 AMErm, Derek Trotter. Most people in that programme actually apart from maybe Rodney and Racquel. They seem alright.

Good call. On a similar note, pretty much everyone in On The Buses except Mum, Olive, and Blakey. (And Arthur's deadpan wit can be amusing on occasion, but he's still vile to poor Olive.)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: jobotic on January 28, 2024, 12:12:03 AMErm, Derek Trotter. Most people in that programme actually apart from maybe Rodney and Racquel. They seem alright.

Grandad's alright. It's not his fault he doesn't like cheese.

Utter Shit

I feel like they gave Del enough back story to soften his edges, A Royal Flush notwithstanding. Even before Racquel returned and he became Cuddly Del, Sullivan did a good job of explaining why he was the way he was, and how much he'd love to be something more given the opportunity.

Terry Torpid

Yeah, Del is alright because for all his mouth and hooky deals, the other two are fucking useless and Del's the only one putting food on the table.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 28, 2024, 11:46:19 AMGavin and Stacey from Gavin and Stacey. A spoiled, lazy twat and her drippy boyfriend who can't act. Every other character in the show is good fun and it's a consistently entertaining show (as long as you ignore the dreadful Christmas special from a couple of years ago), it's mad that the entire thing centres around two such unlikeable characters that you're supposed to love.

My own irrational dislike of Gavin stems from the fact that he always did the top button up on his shirts. Matt Horne obviously wanted to make it his "thing" and hoped that people would emulate it, but it just makes him look like a simple boy whose mum dresses him every morning.

trabuch

Jerry Seinfeld.  And Tim from the office. Smug, self pitying and deep down a really nasty piece of work.

Mr Banlon

Icehaven

Mr. Haven cannot stand Gina from Brooklyn 99, he has to leave the room when she's on.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: trabuch on January 28, 2024, 02:59:20 PMJerry Seinfeld.  And Tim from the office. Smug, self pitying and deep down a really nasty piece of work.

Jerry is supposed to be like that. I find his smug, self-centred attitude very funny, but your mileage may vary.

madhair60

this is only irrational because i think the cartoons want you to root for him, but i hate Jerry the mouse. he's a little cunt

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Icehaven on January 28, 2024, 03:26:35 PMMr. Haven cannot stand Gina from Brooklyn 99, he has to leave the room when she's on.

This is a really good call actually, totally agree. I like *everyone* else in that show, but Gina... what's the joke meant to be?

Not a fan.

Andy147

Quote from: neov1974 on January 28, 2024, 11:57:42 AMFlasheart
Appreciate this might get me kicked out of here, but Rik Mayall dialled up to 11 is nails on a chalkboard to me

I think I posted here before that I thought Flashheart was great as a 'force of nature' character in S2, but hated him in S4.
So I guess I also didn't like Rik Mayall dialled up to 11, but did like him dialled up to 12? (It probably helped that in S2 he's only there for a couple of minutes).

jamiefairlie

Quote from: madhair60 on January 28, 2024, 03:50:48 PMthis is only irrational because i think the cartoons want you to root for him, but i hate Jerry the mouse. he's a little cunt

On the other hand I find this wee guy utterly delightful, "Oh boy!!!"

madhair60

thinking about Jerry the Mouse and I know this is going to come off as a bit extreme, but i'd quite like to fuck him to death.

Icehaven

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on January 28, 2024, 03:57:06 PMThis is a really good call actually, totally agree. I like *everyone* else in that show, but Gina... what's the joke meant to be?

Unearned confidence and extreme selfishness, which I suppose can work if you like or are indifferent to her but if you don't just amplifies her annoyingness.

Video Game Fan 2000

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 28, 2024, 03:46:56 PMJerry is supposed to be like that. I find his smug, self-centred attitude very funny, but your mileage may vary.

I don't think your supposed to like anyone in Seinfeld.
It's entirety rational.

tourism

what doesn't help that Jerry is played by Jerry Seinfeld, another intensely unlikeable character

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 28, 2024, 06:29:30 PMI don't think your supposed to like anyone in Seinfeld.
It's entirety rational.

Similarly, anyone in Friends. They're meant to be flawed characters. It perplexes me when people criticise the Ross character for being an awful person. His behaviour is written to be awful, you tit, that's why it's funny.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 28, 2024, 06:29:30 PMI don't think your supposed to like anyone in Seinfeld.
It's entirety rational.

I don't like the episode in which they all behave like pedantic, selfish arseholes. It's so out of character.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 28, 2024, 06:41:29 PMSimilarly, anyone in Friends. They're meant to be flawed characters. It perplexes me when people criticise the Ross character for being an awful person. His behaviour is written to be awful, you tit, that's why it's funny.

That Rigsby git is doing alright really, what's his problem?

Tony Tony Tony

Utter Shit

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 28, 2024, 06:41:29 PMSimilarly, anyone in Friends. They're meant to be flawed characters. It perplexes me when people criticise the Ross character for being an awful person. His behaviour is written to be awful, you tit, that's why it's funny.
I think the difference is the tone of the show makes you feel you're supposed to like these characters despite their flaws. For all their shit behaviour, they're still essentially supposed to be something to aspire to.  Ross is loveably full-on rather than creepily obsessive, Phoebe is charmingly kooky rather than extremely hard work, Chandler is sympathetically broken rather than...also extremely hard work. These flaws are recognised, but never to the extent that they should be. Post-breakdown Ross is really not that different from Eddie, or Ben Stiller's character whose name I forget, from early in the show, both of whom are supposed to be seen as psychotic weirdos to be avoided at all costs.

Urinal Cake

It's entirety rational.
I was watching some YouTube thing about Jerry Seinfeld was really an arrogant creep instead of a clean, family friendly comedian and I was like, 'You've never really watched Seinfeld.'

I mean real life Seinfeld is still probably worse the fictional Seinfeld.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: jamiefairlie on January 28, 2024, 04:07:15 PMOn the other hand I find this wee guy utterly delightful, "Oh boy!!!"

THIS LITTLE SHIT

wrec

Racquet is likeable and a believable character but never liked Cassandra. Partly the stagey acting but also largely responsible for boring Business Rodney.
Then she lost the baby and Trigger made a face

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 28, 2024, 08:21:00 PMI think the difference is the tone of the show makes you feel you're supposed to like these characters despite their flaws. For all their shit behaviour, they're still essentially supposed to be something to aspire to.  Ross is loveably full-on rather than creepily obsessive, Phoebe is charmingly kooky rather than extremely hard work, Chandler is sympathetically broken rather than...also extremely hard work. These flaws are recognised, but never to the extent that they should be. Post-breakdown Ross is really not that different from Eddie, or Ben Stiller's character whose name I forget, from early in the show, both of whom are supposed to be seen as psychotic weirdos to be avoided at all costs.

Not watched it in a while, but I never saw them as aspirational.