Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio 4 play about Beyond the Fringe

Started by lauraxsynthesis, January 28, 2024, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

Here's a radio play about the beginning of Beyond the Fringe that was broadcast back in August.
Turning Point: Behind Beyond the Fringe

It's currently on BBC Sounds, and I missed it the first time around so glad the writer Jeremy Front posted on X that it was up again. In writing the play, Front spoke with Johnny Bassett who brought together the performers and put the show on in Edinburgh and it's told from Bassett's point of view. The hour-long play is an absolute delight. As one would expect, various bits are put in that point to future work of Pete and Dud in particular, but it's done really smoothly. The actor playing Jonathan Miller is pitch-perfect - an awesome performance, Dudley Moore is terrific, but the Peter Cook performance sounds nothing like him - that's the only thing I didn't think worked.

I'd be curious to hear Bennett's review of it. He's portrayed as a disapproving, chippy virgin, but maybe he was.   

Apart from that, lots of interplay, sparring, sparking and creative process between the four and musical jokes from Dudley underneath it all. Loads of fun to listen to and geek out on. I reckon multiple listens are going to turn up jokes I missed the first time around.

Lapsedcat

Interesting, thanks.

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 28, 2024, 01:25:38 PMvarious bits are put in that point to future work of Pete and Dud
Assuming there's no nods to Derek and Clive though

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Lapsedcat on January 28, 2024, 05:32:12 PMInteresting, thanks.
Assuming there's no nods to Derek and Clive though

Little bit if you squint.

lauraxsynthesis

Bumping this because it just won The Voice of the Listener and Viewer (VLV) Award for Best Audio Drama
https://x.com/vlvuk/status/1783117441159090519

Give it a listen fr

Brundle-Fly

I must've missed this thread in January. Thanks for bumping.