Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kev Mud's Winning Puns

Started by Pdine, February 15, 2024, 02:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdine

QuoteLeicester Comedy Festival: Newcomer wins pun contest

A comedy newcomer is celebrating being crowned king of the puns at the Leicester Comedy Festival...

Kev Mud beat seven other comics to win the UK Pun Championships 2024 at De Montfort Hall on Monday evening.

The 37-year-old previously worked as a sound technician at one of the festival venues and only picked up the microphone 18 months ago.

He has since been a finalist for British Comedian of the Year and performed at the Glastonbury festival.

"I feel really proud to be UK Pun Champion for 2024," he said.

"I'm not a pun guy really. My jokes aren't generally puns, so I thought I'd do it as a bit of a challenge."

The competition, introduced in 2014, takes place in a real boxing ring with the winner decided by audience noise.

Eight competing comics were given topics to write puns on before facing each other in the ring until only one remained.

Kev Mud's winning puns

"I can't go to the toilet without taking candles. I'm a party pooper."

"I was at a kid's party and they said 'there's an ice cream man outside' - but by the time I got out there he had melted."

"There are many ways to convert your bungalow into a house. Step one..."

"I travel a lot being a comedian. In fact, I've spent the last year living out of a suitcase - which isn't bad but my back hurts and my legs stick out the end."

"Welcome to the programme where people argue about whose dad is best. Top of the Pops."

"I ordered a record the other day. When I put it on, my needle was covered in honey. Turns out I was playing the B-side."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68284422

WTF?

dissolute ocelot

"I travel a lot being a comedian. In fact, I've spent the last year living out of a suitcase - which isn't bad but my back hurts and my legs stick out the end."

Is that even a pun? It's taking a metaphor to be literal.

I'm sure it was much funnier when he was in a boxing ring though.

Mr_Simnock

He's either someone's relative or the rest were really shit

Mr_Simnock

"My carpenter dad likes hip-hop, especially the track 'hammer time'", it's on that level

frajer

idunnosomename

Is it just me or does the bungalow one not work. Yes it's to do with stairs obviously but it's pretty half arsed

Jerzy Bondov

I've seen this guy live. Just wanted to say.

phantom_power

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 15, 2024, 02:39:12 PMIs it just me or does the bungalow one not work. Yes it's to do with stairs obviously but it's pretty half arsed

Yes, a better one would be something like "How do you convert your bungalow into a house? Step by step"

Petey Pate

Presumably it's the way he tells them.

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on February 15, 2024, 02:30:08 PMHe's either someone's relative or the rest were really shit

Les Gray's son alright cheers

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: phantom_power on February 15, 2024, 02:45:15 PMYes, a better one would be something like "How do you convert your bungalow into a house? Step by step"

Still wouldn't be a pun though.

Maurice Yeatman

I'm all for the occasional crap pun but I don't approve of people who make a living from it.

Tim Vine subverts it and throws other stuff into the mix so he's okay.

Mobius

Tim Vine is the best by miles and has come at it from every angle. It's actually pathetic to bother trying now. Do you really think there's a pun Vine hasn't considered already.

phantom_power

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 15, 2024, 05:52:56 PMStill wouldn't be a pun though.

It is because it is mixing the two meanings of the word "step"

poloniusmonk

Also a bungalow is already a house

idunnosomename

Tim Vine's a great performer all round, and his material is a lot better than this.

This is very reminiscent of the annual "best jokes at Edinburgh Fringe" which are also largely complete shit, (in that they are inherently flawed in a number of ways rather than just a bit groan-worthy) almost as if to stoke controversy

dissolute ocelot

"I can't go to the toilet without taking candles. I'm a party pooper."

That's weird too. Do you normally take candles to a party? Maybe if it's a housewarming you'll take a Yankee Candle type thing. But if you take a candle to the toilet it's for one reason only. (Well, either the smell or because your light is broken.)

Surely there are funnier things you could substitute for candles, like balloons, Pictionary, a six-pack of Tennent's, or grapes.

idunnosomename

The B-side one is decent but the setup is clumsy. Why start with ordering the record? Just play it.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 16, 2024, 10:54:25 AMThe B-side one is decent but the setup is clumsy. Why start with ordering the record? Just play it.
I remember that joke from the 1980s </athletico mince>. Only at school it had a way better setup, insofar as it was much more absurd: "a distinguished professor of wasps goes into HMV..."

Segued nicely into "Well, you've got one in the window ", too.

Twilkes

I once had a piece of material about straw berets and cream, but I don't think it was a pun. Maybe just a punnet.

frajer

I was at a kid's party and they said 'there's an ice cream man outside' - but by the time I got out there he'd stopped screaming. Eh! EH!

iScream, me nan doesn't understand things, etc.

Mr_Simnock

Hopefully those bad puns wont stick to Mud

Mwnger

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 15, 2024, 02:39:12 PMIs it just me or does the bungalow one not work. Yes it's to do with stairs obviously but it's pretty half arsed

My own bungalow gag is better than his I reckon:

My mate said her bungalow mysteriously gained a 1st floor overnight. I said "That's a likely storey"

MrMealDeal

This was streamed live on NextUp so I watched it for about 5 minutes. It was a knockout tournament with the comedians going up against each other. They got given a theme and a few minutes to work on material. What I'm saying is that it might not have been their best material. All the puns I heard were shit.

Pseudopath

These are the "highlights". Christ.

Crunk

Quote from: Mwnger on February 16, 2024, 04:45:21 PMMy own bungalow gag is better than his I reckon:

My mate said her bungalow mysteriously gained a 1st floor overnight. I said "That's a likely storey"

It's definitely not, sorry.

Maybe if you'd said unlikely, but even then...

Maurice Yeatman

My mate got sacked from his job as a pilot because he was always late.
He's also moved out of his luxury bungalow and gone back to his old two-storey house. He missed his flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!