Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Has a celebrity ever been rude to you?

Started by TC Raymond, April 05, 2007, 06:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckorange

I've always found Gaiman charm personified, who will do almost anything for anybody, so you probably caught him on a bad day.

To burst another bubble, Lenny Henry is also unspeakably pleasant.

spraticus

here's a few for you:

i once worked in an off licence - Peter Green (the acid-casualty guitarist from Fleetwood Mac) came in & bought a bottle of cider - he was neither nice or nasty just very weird and scary... oh, and he couldn't pick up his change from the counter as all his finger nails were at least 6cms long

my sister worked at Wimbledon one year, washing up at the Debentures enclosure - there was a bit of a commotion in the kitchen so she went over to see what was going on - all the washing up staff were crowding round a bowl of strawberries fingering and breathing on them... the guy holding them then announced "Cliff Richard's strawberries coming through" as he took them out front

I met Martin Clunes at a party and as a joke asked him what he did for a living - he was really nice & low key - the same goes for Rowland Rivron

I  spent 2 days recording Fay Ripley singing a song for a tv show a while ago- she was very "lovey"... a few weeks later I happened to be in the same gym as her on the next running machine... when I offered a friendly "High Fay" she completely blanked me  and treated me like a stalker - even after I'd told her we spent about 16 hours together in my studio

When I worked at the BBC - I was sitting in the canteen with some mates - they were all talking about Valerie Singleton in hushed tones... I said really loudly "You know, Valerie Singleton goes out with Joan Armatrading, don't you?" (knowing full well that this was just an urban myth) they all looked horrified & gestured for me to keep quiet... they then pointed out that I was sitting back to back with Valerie Singleton

Whilst at the BBC, me & a co-worker were waiting for the lift - Simon Bates came up with his p.a. - when the lift arrived, he pushed passed us and said in his overly loud voice "Do you mind if I take this lift alone?"  

Early one morning at the Beeb, Bates (again) walked passed a mate of mine (male) - Bates said, totally unprompted, again in his booming voice "You Look Fabulous" when my mate, who was totally flummoxed started to say "thanks" Bates reposted with "He Lied"

spraticus

one more that springs to mind....

I was wandering through Camden & bumped into Sean O'Hagan (guitarist/singer in Microdisney & High Llamas) he was a really nice bloke I had a long chat with him & then he put me + one on the guest list to see his band that night at Dingwalls

oh - while I'm here.... again I was hanging around Dingwalls the night Curtis Mayfield was playing - I was walking passed a van parked outside with it's side door open - Curtis was inside changing his trousers & I saw his arse

Quote from: TotalMink on April 06, 2007, 01:23:04 PM
Eddie Reader told me to fuck off once - (didnt we do this before)

' "Fairground Attraction!?"  In a freakshow cage, maybe!?' would've been a good response.

biggytitbo

Tim Lovejoys was rude to me in 2003. But now I get to watch him go bald ever Sunday so I've had the last laugh.

Crabwalk

Quote from: MrSpecialPants on June 06, 2015, 02:11:58 AM
Lol you saw his butt!

This post is like the jump cut between the bone and the space station in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Uncle TechTip

Ah, such nostalgia. Whatever happened to The Man With Twenty-Five Hats?

23 Daves

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 13, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

And Al "Year Of The Cat" Stewart was an utter twat when I met him. Rude, dismissive, arrogant, imperious, he really was an unpleasant piece of work. I mean, Jesus! He was only Al "Year Of The Cat" Stewart, someone who hasn't had any significant commercial success in abfout twenty years, and yet he was behaving like he was Robbie fucking Williams!

Going back through this old thread, that comment really depressed me. Al Stewart is - in the UK at least - an horrendously underrated songwriter, and in recent years I've enjoyed ploughing through his back-catalogue (which, incidentally, can normally be found for highly reasonable prices in the Music and Video Exchange bargain basement). He is oddly somebody I've always wanted to meet as well.

It does, however, potentially shed some light on this incident: http://driver67.com/2014/08/12/al-stewart-kokomo-and-the-end-of-the-hippie-dream/ And I did briefly start using the phrase "Well, if you will walk around being all Al Stewart" to airy, pretentious poets shortly after reading that, but of course nobody knew what I was on about.

Anyway, I've mentioned this before back in the mists of CaB time, but I was once nudged out of the way and queue-jumped at a bar by none other than Frank Bough and Hugh Scully - two cunts for the price of one. I would have opened my mouth to object to this behaviour at the time, but I was too shell-shocked by the absurdity of the incident. I suspect they were probably depending on that response.

Other than that, I don't really have any major incidents to report. As terrible as it sounds, most famous people are generally OK in my experience. The worst individuals are always the also-rans and never-weres, people who have signed to EMI and have had one hit at number 67, or comedians who are shit and whose only claim to fame is one appearance on a variety show. None of these are worth mentioning, largely because I'd have to waste time explaining who they were, but more importantly because they're the kind of people who probably schedule time to Google themselves every day, and I have no desire to start old arguments afresh.

Mijkediablo

Not exactly celebrities as such, but various members of the cast of Hollyoaks turned up at my birthday party years ago, including Nick Pickard (Tony Hutchinson) and Nico Mirallegro (Newt, currently appearing in My Big Fat Diary). Nick was unfailingly polite and friendly, really liked him. Nico, though... well, it was my fault really. When they turned up I was absolutely off my face and couldn't get my head round the fact that he had a girl's name, and kept on skitting him about it. He had a minder, an attractive woman in her early twenties, who stayed with him most of the night to make sure he didn't drink any of the ale. He was very moody, clearly didn't want to be there. When they left, they (I don't know which one) raided the fridge and took all of the ale with them. Luckily I'd stashed a few crates and bottles of vodka and whatnot away, so we weren't completely dry. Fucking great party, that was, but I've never forgiven them for stealing our ale.

Dave McCabe from the Zutons is another one. He used to drink in a pub I worked in, came to a few house parties at mine, that sort of thing, and he always had the air of one who thinks he's more culturally important than he really is. I'll always remember one party where the Zutons (minus Abi) and the Coral were sitting on couches opposite each other, laughing at a dwarf fella and making him dance for their amusement. To be fair, the vertically challenged one was enjoying himself, but it came across as a bit cruel. At that same party, I got involved in a deep conversation with Dave's brother, who was well into Aphex Twin and electronic music- he was genuinely lovely, although he came across as a bit resentful of his brother's 'success'. A year or so later, a friend met Dave in a bar and, genuinely not knowing who he was, said "And what do you do?" Apparently he looked disgruntled and mumbled that he was on the dole, and then spent the rest of the night avoiding her.

I met Emmy The Great after a gig, tried to tell her I'd enjoyed her set and she told me to fuck off.

Most of the famous/ semi-famous people I've met have been lovely, friendly, genuine people, but then I've never rubbed shoulders with anyone in the stellar, a-list category. Mark Lanegan was lovely but shy, the Wailers were the same.

Serge

Quote from: Mijkediablo on June 06, 2015, 10:58:32 AMI met Emmy The Great after a gig, tried to tell her I'd enjoyed her set and she told me to fuck off.

I've never had any dealings with her myself, but friends who have have never spoken highly of her.

Captain Poodle Basher

Wilko Johnson told myself and mate to fuck off and stop bothering him. He was very nice about it though in a world-weary "Look, I'm in no mood to talk to you okay?" way so we didn't hold it against him.

Met Donovan through a work thing back in the '90's. He was utterly away with the fairies and surrounded by a bunch of people, family and friends, who spoke about him in the third person even though he was right with them the whole time. He whinged and moaned like a petulant toddler and made it clear he didn't know why he was there or why he couldn't just go home. I was given the task of communicating with him so I was stuck by his side the whole evening while he looked at me with a "Must I really have to talk to you?" look on his face.

Serge

I'm glad to hear that, as I've always thought that Donovan was a monumental bell end. A girl I used to work with had family who lived in the same village as him, and apparently he has a reputation for thinking quite highly of himself. He met The Beatles, you know? He rarely talks about it.

Captain Poodle Basher

All I can remember is that he was a vacuous non-entity really as he was very distant and would trail off in mid-sentence as he, err well, you know.........

His entourage did everything for him bar wipe his arse and they might have done that as well but I didn't witness it. One of his daughters was the worst for it and took the lead in treating him like a child while saying stuff like "Well, *I* know what Donovan wants to do so talk to me instead of him" to me in a manner akin to devoted followers of a cult leader. It made my skin crawl.

Quincey

Quotemy sister worked at Wimbledon one year, washing up at the Debentures enclosure - there was a bit of a commotion in the kitchen so she went over to see what was going on - all the washing up staff were crowding round a bowl of strawberries fingering and breathing on them... the guy holding them then announced "Cliff Richard's strawberries coming through" as he took them out front

Why did they all dislike Cliff Richard so much?

Captain Poodle Basher

A friend of mine has the honour of being on the roll call of the fallen for those who felt the wrath of Lou Reed for which I'm insanely jealous the bastard.

He got chewed out for letting his shadow fall upon Lou or some such nonsensical reason. Laughing Lou even followed him as he walked away calling out "Hey buddy! I'm not finished with you yet."

The same bloke also felt the wrath of Van Morrison but who hasn't? New born babies are given a ticket that tells them when Van will be getting all in their face with his red, sweaty, shouty, fizzog so be prepared.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Captain Poodle Basher on June 06, 2015, 12:47:31 PM

The same bloke also felt the wrath of Van Morrison but who hasn't? New born babies are given a ticket that tells them when Van will be getting all in their face with his red, sweaty, shouty, fizzog so be prepared.
Ugh, yes. My friend was on the same bill as him in the early 1990s. She politely turned down his clumsy advances and was subjected to a horrible, public 'ugly/smelly/frigid/lesbian' tirade from Van the Man.

ersatz99

I used to work for an airline and on a translantic flight I got my seat upgraded. Later a red haired soul/pop singer sat next to me. Must admit I wasn't a big fan but kind of excited that he might strike up a conversation out of sheer boredom and that my business class dullness might even inspire a new song. He almost immediately called over the steward and said that when he booked his ticket he had insisted that nobody was to be sat next to him. Thanks mate.

Artemis

Scott Mills shoved his hose up my drainpipe.

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 06, 2015, 01:12:18 PM
Ugh, yes. My friend was on the same bill as him in the early 1990s. She politely turned down his clumsy advances and was subjected to a horrible, public 'ugly/smelly/frigid/lesbian' tirade from Van the Man.

My mate wasn't quick enough opening a door for Van so got grabbed by the collar and had a fist waved under his nose. Van had to be hauled off him by his band. A FOF did a tour with Van in the late '80's and swore never again would he work with him it was so bad. Van would change the set list at the last minute without telling the band, picking obscure songs from his back catalogue and then admonish the band for being off key while "apologising to the crowd about how awful they were."

RenegadeScrew

I met Primal Scream after a gig as my mate is cousin with one of them (or his dad's cousin maybe).  I'm not a massive fan, but Little Barrie was with them so I was quite delighted.  I told Little Barrie that the 2nd album wasn't as good, and why I thought so!  So I was rude to a 'celebrity', if anyone knows who Little Barrie is!

Bobby Gillespie kind of mumbled hello and sat in another room eating an apple, so he wasn't rude as such but totally unfriendly - he wasn't like the rest of them.  We were there for about an hour with all the band except Gillespie.

I was much happier speaking to Little Barrie anyway.

Jockice

If we're onto obscure musicians, Robert Lloyd was one of my heroes - until I met him.

Gurke and Hare

Clement Freud once grumpily refused me an autograph, when I was about 12.

As nice celebs go, I once went to a Press Gang convention, and the young cast members who were there (Dexter Fletcher, MMloki Christie, Kelda Holmes and Paul Reynolds) were some of the loveliest people I've met.

mobias

I've got various friends who are in the music and film industry so I've heard many an entertaining story about the behaviour of various people in the public eye. Up there with Van Morrison are The Kings of Leon. A truly horrible bunch of people apparently. They've been known to sabotage other bands gear at music festivals as well as other hugely cuntish behaviour. Shit band anyway.

Quote from: ersatz99 on June 06, 2015, 01:43:19 PM
I used to work for an airline and on a translantic flight I got my seat upgraded. Later a red haired soul/pop singer sat next to me. Must admit I wasn't a big fan but kind of excited that he might strike up a conversation out of sheer boredom and that my business class dullness might even inspire a new song. He almost immediately called over the steward and said that when he booked his ticket he had insisted that nobody was to be sat next to him. Thanks mate.

I presume you're talking about Mick Hucknall. I've got an amusing story about him. A friend once told me he had a cousin who lived in London and worked as a professional fashion photographer. The guy shared a flat with a model who for a short while was dating Mick Hucknall. Hucknall was round a lot and is apparently really, really loud in bed. As in he screams and shrieks when he ejaculates. Anyway the neighbours came round and banged on the door one night because they thought some bloke was being attacked in the flat. 

Thomas

No, but I'd like Taylor Swift to scowl at me in a hotel lobby.

Serge

Quote from: mobias on June 06, 2015, 05:54:14 PMI presume you're talking about Mick Hucknall. I've got an amusing story about him. A friend once told me he had a cousin who lived in London and worked as a professional fashion photographer. The guy shared a flat with a model who for a short while was dating Mick Hucknall. Hucknall was round a lot and is apparently really, really loud in bed. As in he screams and shrieks when he ejaculates. Anyway the neighbours came round and banged on the door one night because they thought some bloke was being attacked in the flat.

Ah, that's just reminded me of the rash of 'Screaming Mick Hucknall' tags, which I assume were inspired by that story. Possibly my favourite meme on this site.

Dr Rock

Today a homeless junkie said I looked like Shane McGowan. I look nothing like Shane McGowan. I don't think he was a celebrity, but still.

mobias

Quote from: Serge on June 06, 2015, 06:20:59 PM
Ah, that's just reminded me of the rash of 'Screaming Mick Hucknall' tags, which I assume were inspired by that story. Possibly my favourite meme on this site.

Yes I seem to remember posting it before in a similar thread. Its one of my favourites.

23 Daves

Quote from: Captain Poodle Basher on June 06, 2015, 12:03:14 PM
Wilko Johnson told myself and mate to fuck off and stop bothering him. He was very nice about it though in a world-weary "Look, I'm in no mood to talk to you okay?" way so we didn't hold it against him.

My parents live within sniffing distance of Canvey Island, and I have to say that everyone I know who has ever met Wilko - and that's a lot of people - thinks he's a lovely, inspiring chap. But he does also seem like the sort to be quite honest if he's not in the mood for a chinwag, which is entirely fair enough.

QuoteMet Donovan through a work thing back in the '90's. He was utterly away with the fairies and surrounded by a bunch of people, family and friends, who spoke about him in the third person even though he was right with them the whole time. He whinged and moaned like a petulant toddler and made it clear he didn't know why he was there or why he couldn't just go home. I was given the task of communicating with him so I was stuck by his side the whole evening while he looked at me with a "Must I really have to talk to you?" look on his face.

Never met him, but he seems to fall into the category of people almost everyone universally agrees is either a cunt or a pain in the arse. A friend of mine saw him at a small festival last year, and he took great pride in telling the audience what a huge influence on Nick Drake he was, which was greeted with largely silent incredulity rather than cheers. I mean, there are bits of his catalogue which are enormously Drakeish ("Sunny Goodge Street" being a prime and brilliant example) but the idea that Drake sat in his bedroom studying Donovan is nowhere on record, and it's not the kind of thing a popular musician does - walk on stage bragging about who he might have influenced. It's a sign of desperation.

And how the fuck does Van Morrison get from one day to the next without being punched into next week? There must surely be a number of people out there who have at least given the man's balls a good kick. Is he constantly surrounded by security? It's the only possible answer.

garbed_attic

Michael Stipe told me and as many people of Ipswich that can fit inside a football stadium to "fuck off".

It was a fair cop though 1.) He said that the last time it had rained during a gig (the skies had just then opened) he had slipped over an fallen on his ass and I heckled "DO IT!"[nb]My only interaction with my favourite singer and lyricist of all time and whose work means monumental amounts to me. Why on earth I would choose to heckle - for the first of two times in my entire life, the other of which was entirely justified - a figure who has made my life immeasurably better I literally have no blasted clue.[/nb] Stipe replied, "You want to see me fall on my ass?" And the entire crowd cheered and whooped and shouted yes. Clearly, I spoke for the people (or gauged the desires of my fellow Ipswichers). They spoke through me. 2.) We Ipswich people should fuck off and be told to do so regularly and mercilessly. We are a boil on the ass of British culture. Exception of the Giles Statue, withheld.

---

So, in answer to the question: no.