Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British Intelligence dropped the ball on pre-9/11 suspect?

Started by Ambient Sheep, April 14, 2004, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Edited down from this article in today's Guardian:
QuoteBritish intelligence about a terrorist suspect arrested in the US in 2001 could have helped disrupt the September 11 plot, but an urgent request for information was treated as a low priority in London, a commission of inquiry found yesterday.

A report by the commission staff published last night said that the FBI tried to find out as much as possible about a French citizen, Zacarias Moussaoui, who was arrested on August 16 as he was learning how to fly a jumbo jet on a flight simulator.

As Mr Moussaoui, now on trial for his involvement in the September 11 plot, had once lived in London, an FBI legal attaché in London "promptly prepared a written request of the British government for information concerning Moussaoui and hand delivered the request on August 21.

"The case, though handled expeditiously at the American end, was not handled by the British as a priority amid a large number of other terrorist-related inquiries," the report said.

It was only on September 13, two days after the attacks in New York and Washington killed nearly 3,000 people, that the British discovered Mr Moussaoui had attended an al-Qaida training camp in Afghanistan, the report said.
Whoops!  True, or US-arse-covering-lies?  Probably the former, sadly.

Pinball

Probably both. A "matter of emphasis", I would say (i.e. maximise the blame vs. the British as a misinformation ploy). This won't assist inter-agency relations in the Crusade Against Brown Offensive Oil-rich Muslims (CABOOM).

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "fanny splendid"BBC news report.
Very good!  More people should see this, so BUMP.  It's not quite what you think.

joFFeman