Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:46:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This house believes ...

Started by Nearly Annually, April 14, 2004, 02:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Evil Knevil's thread have been locked?

Yes
9 (30%)
No
21 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: April 14, 2004, 02:03:43 PM

Nearly Annually

Neil

Look it's a fucking horrible stupid offensive thread, and I personally locked it.  I find it insensitive and upsetting, and see no reason for it to be left open.  It just caters to the very worst sort of mentality, what possible reason is there for leaving it open?!  And it had moved on from "haha I'd like to die of the aids please bob!" shite to someones actual death from a terminal disease, so clearly the thread wasn't going away in a hurry, and worse, it would have probably ended up being bumped when someone else died of one of a terminal diseases.  Make a fucking effort.

hencole

EDITED TO REMOVE MY REALLY FUNNY BUT OFFENSIVE JOKE>

smoker

i honestly didn't find it offensive. it's not as if he's saying "aaah he's got cancer, what a loser!" i thought it was going off into some quite amusing / informative tangents as well. still it's your board, lock away.

smoker

Quote from: "hencole"Why did the chicken not cross the road?

Because it was dead of the Aids

hahaha caught you hencole!

Evil Knevil

Yeah, what Smoker said.
Didn't realise it'd be offensive considering all the other stuff on the board. Your board though, do what you like.

It is cos I've got a low post count? (insert smilie)

I'm in the peculiar position of voting "no", but being glad it has been locked, because it was rubbish.  Still, if threads were locked because they were rubbish, which is a subjective thang, there'd prolly be a call to lock  the lot.  Or at least all the ones started by me.

mook

Was it that offensive though?

I've lost friends and family to cancer and other nasties, and personally the thread didn't bother me. Perhaps I'm just one of those people who can seperate what's written on an internet mesage board and what is actually important.

I'm not knocking whoever decided to lock the thread, but I've read similar stuff to that thread here that hasn't been censored. Anyway I doubt if anything worth reading was going to be added to it so it's no great loss.

Uncle_Z

*sigh*  The "It's your board" card played with much swiftness.  You know they do a real injustice to the way this place is modded so why bother?

hencole

No it wasn't offensive at all, though it could be seen as a silly pointless though free thread. . BES which I know you didn't find that funny, but I can't see you calling for it to be banned for the sake of those who have been abused. Not a personal criticism by the way I just think it would be better to let these things sink.

hoverdonkey

As I said in the thread, it wasn't a thread I 'warmed to', but I didn't want to be a hypocrite and demand action bearing in mind my argument to people who get offended by stuiff I like on TV is simply 'turn it over then'.

Neil

Quote from: "hencole"No it wasn't offensive at all, though it could be seen as a silly pointless though free thread. . BES which I know you didn't find that funny, but I can't see you calling for it to be banned for the sake of those who have been abused.

Well, as expected, it didn't take us long to get to the "but Chris Morris does it!" line of thought.  Some of you need to learn that you're NOT as funny or skillful as people like Chris Morris, Peter Cook, Jerry Sadowitcz etc, so when you joke about subjects like cancer you just end up looking like fucking morons.  

I was in a great mood until this thread, this just makes me wonder why I even bother coming out of Comedy Chat.  Is this that fucking important that it needs a thread started about it?!   If you can't see why a thread asking "WHICH TERMINAL DISEASE WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTRACT" is humourless, offensive, mean-spirited rubbish then you clearly don't have much life experience.

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Uncle_Z"*sigh*  The "It's your board" card played with much swiftness.  You know they do a real injustice to the way this place is modded so why bother?
I don't understand this. Not in a facetious, argumentative "I don't understand this" way - I just don't understand what you've wrote, matey.

This was an honest litmus test, not a go at you, Neil. The "Oi, my gran's dying" responses and the locking surprised me a little, that's all. Especially as, for example, Sam's taken the first couple of mild jokes about his recent stuff so well and all that. And I'm further surprised that there's been so many Yesses so far. You know me, I like to see a crap thread rescued, fought back at or sunk naturally, but I know it's far from my call.

hencole

Then I really don't understand why Dexion is allowed to continually post his potentially deeply offensive ramblings unchecked.

smoker

Quote from: "hencole"Then I really don't understand why Dexion is allowed to continually post his potentially deeply offensive ramblings unchecked.

because there's a danger someone might read evil knevil's thread

Neil

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"The "Oi, my gran's dying" responses and the locking surprised me a little, that's all

Hopefully you can see how one lead to the other!

Quote from: "hencole"Then I really don't understand why Dexion is allowed to continually post his potentially deeply offensive ramblings unchecked.

Oh, any excuse eh?  I don't read them, and I doubt many others do.  Occasionaly I will skim over one, realise it's a load of stoned self-indulgent rubbish, and click on to something else.  Noone has ever asked for his threads to be locked due to them being offensive, and to my knowledge noone has ever found one of his threads upsetting...this is largely because the only people who read them are a small group who like to be seen moaning about him.

Neil

What threads are you hilarious satirists going to come up with next?  

"poll: Best racial slur"

"Is rape intrinsically funny?"

"Hitler had the right idea, he was just an under-achiever"

"Best way to bum and strangle a child"

Oh, and don't bother doing the obvious.

de selby

I think you've made your point Neil.

MonkeyDrummer

I just feel that by locking a thread you attract more attention to it than by letting it slide. It seems to defeat the object.

TJ

Boring say-nothing thread locked. Worthwhile discussion goes on elsewhere. What's the point?

hoverdonkey

I say we lock this thread

Put the whole sorry episode behind us.

Rats

"Hitler had the right idea, he was just an under-achiever"

I think that's really funny, does that make me a twat? That thread was pish but I wouldn't have locked it, I suppose that's what almost is saying, would you have done the same.

Nearly Annually

Yeah, that's all.

hoverdonkey
- Heh, yeah, go on. Let's go locking nuts, ahem.

smoker

blue jammer

I'm amazed having been away posting on other music forums just what you do get away with on here.

The moderation is very light here, and you all seem to love having digs at each other, wether in a 'jokey' way or with venom, either way it still goes on.

Stuff like name calling and extreme topics on another forum and they don't lock the thread, it's deleted instantly, no chance to start moaning about it being locked!

Any personal abuse between users results in a temporay ban, and if continued, a permanent ban, which in the 6 months I've been on, has only happened once.

I'm not saying you should feel lucky that doesn't happen here, but just thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, as you were..

Rats

It can't really be like nazi germany all over the internet, I don't look at other forums but I'm sure there's small ones like this which are just as hip and groovey.

european son

Quote from: "Rats""Hitler had the right idea, he was just an under-achiever"

i'm now amused cos that's a Hicks quote, and i thought that you hated Hicks, especially when he was doing his "angry" shtick?

Neil

I think that's really funny, does that make me a twat?

It is funny, it's a Hicks quote.  The rest were made up by me.  See?

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"hoverdonkey - Heh, yeah, go on. Let's go locking nuts, ahem.

Yes, I knew you'd respond to that.  I'm capable of making up my own mind and don't respond to people trying to sway me one way or the other, thanks.  It's just one stupid thread, big deal.

Rats

Quote from: "Neil"

I think that's really funny, does that make me a twat?

It is funny, it's a Hicks quote.  The rest were made up by me.  See?

I think I see, is your point, you're not funny?