Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

get carpark

Started by smoker, April 14, 2004, 02:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker

http://society.guardian.co.uk/urbandesign/story/0,11200,1191131,00.html

they're trying to demolish the car park from get carter! the swines! it's one of britain's most culturally significant carparks

pfff big deal, wonder how many tourists that brings in a year?

what in your onions are the most culturally significant buidlings in the country?

buck house?
the alley where peter cook once had a drunken slash?
the pub that got blown up in long good friday?

need input...

hencole

Universtity College London building in '1984'

Didn't we do this one about six months ago?  They're taking their time knocking it down a bit aren't they.  I think they should demolish it with a huge Alf Roberts-shaped wrecking ball, controlled by a workman in a three-piece suit who swears in a cockney accent as he does it.

@ssmaster

When I moved to Edinburgh I wanted to see the John Menzies store on Princes St which features at the beginning of Trainspotting but it had closed down. BTW there is no way you could run that length of Princes St and still have enough breath to laugh at someone in a car, especially if you are a junkie.

Morrisfan82

Every day on my way to work I'm proud to go past the Fascist Pig Bank from the last episode of The Young Ones.

It's a swimming pool in real life.

MonkeyDrummer

Salford Lads Club. Still there, closed down though. I visited it about a year ago on a bit of a pilgrimage. I expected to find loads of grafiti but there was only one smal flower scribbled in black ink on the red walll and the line.....

"The songs that saved my life"

Quite simply brilliant, couldn't have put it better myself.

mr baguette

that reminds me - Elephantiasis women destroyed central portsmouth in the day today is most likely refuring to the tricon shopping centre.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/urbandesign/story/0,11200,1166407,00.html

it is old news

@ssmaster

Quote from: "mr baguette"that reminds me - Elephantiasis women destroyed central portsmouth in the day today is most likely refuring to the tricon shopping centre.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/urbandesign/story/0,11200,1166407,00.html

it is old news

It must be a conspiracy against the Tricorn's architect Owen Luder as he was the person who designed the Get Carter car park in Gateshead.

Johnny Yesno

There's the shag alley out of Quadraphenia in Brighton. Not cultur-alley important to me but it's a shame all the Mod graffiti's been painted over.

Doctor Stamen

The old Trinity Road stand at Villa Park.  Probably doesn't mean much to people on a national level, but you could argue that it was one of the most significant and recognisable sport stands in the world, well over a century old.  It was knocked down in 2000 so they could fit a few thousand extra seats and some more corporate boxes in.

How the fuck can they justify knocking down this:

and replacing it with this corrugated tin pile of shit:

I'm all for progress, but it was a listed building and they should have at least tried to redevelop the old stand.  The new one has none of the grandeur and elegance of the old one, and is no different to any of the other 'Legoland' stands at all the other bog-standard football grounds around Britain.  Four years on and it still pisses me off.