Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6th Annual International Drag Kings Extravanganza

Started by jutl, April 16, 2004, 10:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jutl

Quote from: "The Literary Calls for Papers Mailing List"
CFP: Gender Performance and Drag Kings (7/15/04; 10/15/04-10/16/04)

Please circulate:
International Drag King Extravaganza Call for Papers/Workshop Proposals

The International Drag King Extravaganza (IDKE) is a weekend of gender performances, celebration and critical dialogue.  IDKE 6 will take place in Chicago at Columbia College October 14-17, 2004.

IDKE 6 is seeking proposals for the academic conference to be held October 15-16.  The theme for IDKE 6 is gendeRevolution. Meant to play upon both "revolution" and "evolution," the theme honors the ever evolving definitions of drag in which rigid gender norms are dismantled through radical performance, while at the same time acknowledging drag kingings' roots in solo male impersonation.

We are accepting proposals for papers and workshops that engage with topics relevant to IDKE; issues related to gender, gender performance, queer theory, queer communities, and critical race theory are appropriate. IDKE 6 is interested in proposals sensitive to the complex relationship between gender and other modes of identification.  Proposals that complicate an easy understanding of gender performance and/or drag kinging and consider how race, class, geography, body size and (dis)ability affect and influence gender performance are encouraged.  Practical "how-to" workshops and workshops on developing performance skills and troupe relationships are also welcome.

Please limit proposals to 500 words, or one half page.

Proposals will be accepted through July 15.
Conference presentees will be notified by August 15.

Please note: If many proposals are submitted on a similar topic, we may ask for your paper to be presented as part of a moderated panel.

Visit www.idkechicago.com for conference registration information and more submission guidelines.  Please send proposals to ##############  by 5pm July 15, or send July 15 postmarked materials to:

Bloody Mary Productions, LLC
Attn: IDKE 6 Academic Conference
P.O Box 47710
Chicago, IL 60647-0710

Well - it did ask for people to circulate it, so... In the light of Osama Bin Laden's decision to embrace the left-liberal agenda, I'm inviting submissions for this lively celebration of cross-dressing lesbianism and this business we call show. I don't know if you're familiar with this process, so I'll provide an example below. Put simply though - academics submit short summaries of a talk they want to give. Then other academics assess these summaries and decide which ones they want to see at the conference/workshop/flamenco lesbian choral meeting. Now - and let me make this quite clear - I am not inviting people to mock homosexuality. This isn't an event about homosexuality - it's an event at which a lot of people dance in drag, and a lot of other people talk po-facedly about gender identity. It is this second activity that I find hilarious...

It's Not Normal, IS IT?
Anti-progressive Reactions to Gender-flotation in Late C20th Hull
by Jutlya Kominska and The Great Mazursky

It has long been recognised that gender identity and normative formation in the UK's Humber Estuary region presents many unanswered questions. Dagblatt and Hoose's 1998 paper Hull-o Dolly: Queer Transaction Theory in The Northwest began the process of examining these anomalies, without - it could be argued - some of the rigour that many Queer theoreticians have subsequently brought to bear upon the issue (they failed - for example - to address the aftermath of the Great Northern Geezer-Bird Migrations of 1996). This paper will attempt to build upon Dagblatt and Hoose's work, reviewing their material in the light of more recent discoveries in Queer theory and Invertonomics. Our central question will be - how do questions form part of the anti-progressive reaction of traditionally-aligned genderites, and how can these questions have been subverted in the area of our study to become what we call 'Queeries' - questions returned as an act of gender-defiance and phallus-felling. Take the standard traditional pseudo-question:

'It's not normal, is it?

We will examine how, during the late 1990s in the Hull area, this question was increasingly refracted back at the questioner in a portmanteau-formulation such as:

'What's normal? Is your fat ugly face normal? Why don't you fuck off?'

Is the Dagblatt & Hoose (1998) paper available for us to consider before we discuss this?  I would hate to turn up to such an event unprepared, armed only with a cheeky wink and a fully-working phallus avec quatreskin.

I'll be racking my brains now trying to think of a 500-word proposal.  How about Paederastary - how can it be immoral if it's your own blood running in their veins?