Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,331
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pills

Started by weekender, April 18, 2004, 02:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

Yep and although I know you don't need or want my approval, that sounds fine to me. I remember saying recently that whilst I'm a "proud meat-eater", I respect vegetarians and vegans a lot... the only people I don't respect with regards to their eating habits are those who bung any old shite down their necks and then moan about their physical condition. Those last 7 words in italics being some of the most important.

Out of interest, I think the only problems for a vegan might come with getting adequate protein and fat, would that be right? I assume you can ewat plenty of pasta, nuts, and lentils to compensate for the protein and then include things like olive oil in meals for the fat?

What I look down upon is people seeing a bottle of Centrum in Tesco and thinking "One of those a day will make me happier" and then purchasing/popping them down. Note the use of the word "happier" as opposed to "healthier" there, because that's the line of thinking I'm convinced a lot of people take. Also I think a lot of people these days (but probably nobody here) pops a vitamin pill a day as an excuse to live on crisps and biscuits.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
Out of interest, I think the only problems for a vegan might come with getting adequate protein and fat, would that be right? I assume you can ewat plenty of pasta, nuts, and lentils to compensate for the protein and then include things like olive oil in meals for the fat?
Getting enough complex proteins is the main thing, so I try to make sure that each day I get a good mixture of nuts/seeds, pulses and grains (Two out of those three is meant to do the trick, but I like to get a mix).

Fat isn't much of a problem, what with the nuts/seeds and oils, as you say, but I thought that some of those omega whatsits would be good for the old knees etc!!!

gazzyk1ns

If you don't mind taking supplements then maybe protein powder might be something to consider for the complex proteins? I take it sometimes for recovery with my running. Most of the good ones include lots of branched chain amino acids, when I have money I buy Maximuscle but when I don't I get cheaper stuff, once I bought some from Holland and Barrety and that seemed OK. I suppose you'd (rightly) get more satisfaction out of adapting your cooking to include what you need though, scooping powder into a glass and mixing it with water is hardly appealing.

Gazeuse

Ta Gaz...I'm not wasting away though, so I'll stick with the fud!!!

gazzyk1ns

Yeah I'd do the same, a friend's dad works in farm nutrition and he was saying how certain cattle feed and most protein powder was 99% the same. Still, protein powder can serve a purpose and... I'm not eating cattle feed!

Schlippy

I have a biologist friend who reckons that multi-vitamin supplements are mostly a load of old cack. He claims a lot of them have elements which cancel each other out (think I saw zinc & iron mentioned), and that the body doesn't really like these ersatz chemical concotions.

Something to do with the body not being able to draw the individual elements out without having raw biological material to extract them from, and the fact that the "100% RDA" claims often don't take into account the fact that the body doesn't store the bits and pieces anywhere - if you can't use it straight away, they pass quickly through your body as waste. Whereas getting your vitamins and minerals from food means you have everything being released slowly and naturally into your digestive system.

Not that I give a fish's tit anyways, the only chems I ever take is a bit of vitamin C when I get the sniffles. Eat sensibly, that's all there is to it.

Heh, anybody remember that guy who tried to prove that nutritional science was a load of shit by eating Kapok (a yank type of cotton wool) for a month, claiming that all the body really needed was something filling the stomach?

He died, natch. I think he may have been the inspiration for Milo's chocolate-covered cotton in Catch-22.

Elliot

Thanks Abbie
I'll check them out.

I used to be a vegan for a bit.
Felt bloody fantastic.
Came to Japan and found it hard with the life style I led over here to continue such a strict diet. So I now only eat pigs.
Sorry, its early.    
I now only allow myself fish, no dairy products if I can help it. Havent eaten meat for about 15 yrs.

I dont take supplements as I prefer to get them from source if at all possible.
For me a pill is a dead pill thing.

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"

Taking vitamins in supplement to a healthy diet could in fact, make you ill

During a year long break from taking real drugs, I thought I'd have a go at the old 1 a day capsules, thinking that in addition to eating properly I would finally get my weight over 8 1/4 stone.
About a week in to my new scheme, I took two of the capsules within about 8 hours of each other, because I wasn't sure if I'd had the first one.
I went to a pub for a drink with a friend, had one pint of lager, stood up to go to the toilet and blacked out. Next thing I knew I was being picked up off the floor and had a sore head.
Doctor said that although the alcohol contributed, I had just overdosed on the vitamin pills.
I didn't believe him but because of you now I do.
I was going to use the idea as a 'two vitamin pills and one pint of lager - watch me' party trick but I didn't.

dirkfunk

i drink the tears of the worlds homeless each morning

this helps prevent cardboard and gout

MonkeyDrummer

yeah, I took the logical step to veganism about 3 weeks ago. S'pose I should take vitamins but I can't really be arsed. I usually try and have a bag of nuts a day to get my protein.

Krang

My lifestyle is far from healthy.

The only pill i take if Pro-Plus, if ive had a late night, ill take one in the morning, and i have some in my coat pocket incase i need one for lesson times.

I dont eat breakfast, and sometimes eat lunch. I dont usually drink during the day, but normally consume 2 - 4 litres of Diet Coke in the evening.

The weathers picking up, so lunch is more common, ive started to go for pasta salads, (tuna and sweetcorn / Chicken and bacon being my favourites) I usually have this with a can of Diet coke, some crisps and some chocolate.

In the evening i have whatever is cooked for me (a nice luxury) Its usually fairly healthy though, and i like veg with my meals.

Ive become slightly addicted to cheeseburgers. Default, with no salad. Just a burger in a roll with a cheese slice and ketchup.

Timmay

I started taking multivitamins when I first started Uni - to supplement my expected daily intake of quarter-pounders, chicken burgers, chips, and pasta. I kept on them religiously for the whole of the first year, and then got bored so stopped.

I can safely say I noticed absolutely no positive or adverse changes in my health, during or after I was taking them, so I conclude that either they [multivitamins] are useless, or I am superman and don't need any of these gay vitamin things.

Frinky

Quote from: "Krang"but normally consume 2 - 4 litres of Diet Coke in the evening.

By the time you are 24, you will have no jaw.

fanny splendid

Why?

Does aspartame have the same effect as sugar?

dirkfunk

no it's that jaw removal op he's having on his 23rd birthday

Frinky

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Why?

Does aspartame have the same effect as sugar?

Yes, actually. Worse.

Krang

What does it do?

Frinky

It dissolves your jaw.

Krang

I found this, very useful.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Krang"What does it do?

Fucks with your brain according to some sources.

Though no doubt I'll be quickly shot down by some 'scientist' as being paranoid, and how I shouldn't have ever read 'nexus' magazine...

joFFeman

daily:

60 to 100mg amphetamine
    3 to 6mg xanax
    50mg zoloft
    0-8 advil 'liqui-gels' ibuprofen caplets, 200mg each.
    2 'one-a-day' multivitamins, morning and evening, to pretend i'm eating well

these are of course taken with vodka whenever it is available. drinking age is 21 here, so i have until august to wait to buy my own. fortunately i have a lot of younger friends who look older than i am who can get me my fix, though i try not to drink much anymore because of promises made to myself (in front of people i want to impress).

then of course, there are the 'random handout' pills which i do not take anymore because i had a silly overdose incident, foaming at the mouth, a little convulsing, vomiting on some rich girl's carpet (i didn't know anyone there, i was taken by a friend to a party thrown by a friend of his friend...) and ruining her party. she screamed 40 people out of her house in a matter of 10 minutes after she found out about the strange goings-on in the basement, although everyone else said i was the life of said party until i passed out and started gurgling. that was scary stuff, kinda had to ask a friend of mine to hold my hand on the car drive back to my place because i feared death.

funny story: my friend who rescued me from choking to death on my own bile lying on the floor asked me if there was any music i wanted to hear to alleviate my fear. (i was DJing and had a stack of CDs i'd brought along) naturally, even in my fucked up, stupid self-made-mess state i knew what i needed. "Lai-bagch", i mumbled. "yes, you're gonna be alright big man, just lie back..." replied he. "no, Laibach, see dee, the musicsbox, play Laibach" i insisted. he realized what i was saying, located the CD and put it in the stereo.

i'm not sure there's anything more frightening to late teenage, mostly yuppiedom-bound partygoers than watching their first 'real life' OD victim writhe in agony while Laibach's rendition of the theme from "Jesus Christ Superstar" blares.

so after all that rambling, i guess i should remind everyone to 'just say no' and to wear condoms and use your turn signal in your automobile.

gazzyk1ns

Re: Diet soft drinks

I remember hearing a couple of years ago that as well as well as the sugar-like effect of aspartame, the other sweetener (acesulfame K) was very unhealthy for teeth and bones in general as well... it's basically potassium, isn't it? I can't remember.

phes

As far as i can make out, unless you trust  your gp and he/she has warned you strictly oterwise in your particular case-The use of vitamin pills/supplements is not only pointless, but costly.....hmmm,funny that!  I imagine that many people would live longer and healthier lives if they spent more time living and less time worrying about the balance of various vitamins inside them. As for the people who are currently drinking those yoghurts full of  "good" bacteria they really do have some serious questions to ask themselves!   Silly fuckers, he,he,he!

butnut

I misread this topic title as 'piles'. Of course, I'd have nothing to say on that subject. Oh no.

<wanders off, whsitling>