Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Disappear up your own arses and die, you pretentious cunts (rant)

Started by MarmiteCarpenter, April 19, 2004, 08:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

This is obviously some strange usage of the word 'sexy', of which I was previously unaware....

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "european son"ad hominem

Bloody students.

i reckon you should read some stuff by Riesman about the modern man's obsession with being "other directed" and craving plaudits from others to get to the root of your anti-student comments.

it's all based in the part of the soul Plato called called Thymos, and i understand, but you should relax and be just a touch more "self directed", you'll be happier i reckon.
is this where i put i fucking smiley?

Do you have to show off like this in so many of the threads you post to? It really makes you sound like a pretentious wanker.

Unless you are parodying know-it-all students who think dropping a few big words and obscure names makes them sound intelligent?

Oh yeah, Franz Ferdinand are a pretty good band.

Elliot

Quote from: "butnut"Not work safe:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/guesteditors/graphic/0,14481,1194866,00.html

I was thinking about posting about this earlier. Here's the photographer on this photo:

I'm not going to say any more.

QuoteJohn and Paula, Sitting Bottomless, by Wolfgang Tillmans
The only publication to have previously used this picture - a Japanese magazine - placed an orange dot over John's penis.

I must have missed that mag.

european son

Quote from: "Funkentelechy"Unless you are parodying know-it-all students who think dropping a few big words and obscure names makes them sound intelligent?

that's the one. i flicked through the nearest schoolbooks i had to hand for some names and words. i doubt very much what i've written there even makes sense.

it's an (admittedly) childish thing i do. if people expect me to be a stereotype then i not only feel the need to conform, but also exaggerate their prejudices.

oy vey, i think i was sufficiently over-the-top and all.

my genuine point behind the kidding about was that dissing students for being wanky is as easy and lazy as a sticking a Bob Marley image on your wall alongside Che and, heaven forbid, a Take Me To Your Dealer poster.

Quote from: "european son"
Quote from: "Funkentelechy"Unless you are parodying know-it-all students who think dropping a few big words and obscure names makes them sound intelligent?

that's the one. i flicked through the nearest schoolbooks i had to hand for some names and words. i doubt very much what i've written there even makes sense.

it's an (admittedly) childish thing i do. if people expect me to be a stereotype then i not only feel the need to conform, but also exaggerate their prejudices.

oy vey, i think i was sufficiently over-the-top and all.

my genuine point behind the kidding about was that dissing students for being wanky is as easy and lazy as a sticking a Bob Marley image on your wall alongside Che and, heaven forbid, a Take Me To Your Dealer poster.

Fair enough. But you've done it in a lot of other threads as well. Which is a shame because your posts are generally rather good and insightful.

A lot of students are wanky though, and would say the kind of thing you posted in all seriousness without any irony, thinking it makes them sound better than everyone else who don't know the philosophy of Plato inside out. And I say that as a student myself.

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "european son"Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Sounds like the strokes at first until it introduces that Led Zeppelin riff which appears to be the only good bit of the song, drones on a bit, then ends.

I've listened to their album and they're the most overrated indie / rock band since the strokes. Seriously, they're not doing anything 100s of other bands aren't doing at the moment. Hot hot heat are a much more impressive indie / rock band.

european son

Quote from: "Funkentelechy"
Fair enough. But you've done it in a lot of other threads as well. Which is a shame because your posts are generally rather good and insightful.

A lot of students are wanky though, and would say the kind of thing you posted in all seriousness without any irony, thinking it makes them sound better than everyone else who don't know the philosophy of Plato inside out. And I say that as a student myself.

i'll apologise for doing it in other threads. i have done it intentionally a few times when i've either been accused of being an idiot (a claim i'll fully accept from my mates/teachers/folk i respect, but  no offence, not from a couple of particular 'whores here frankly),

or, more often, when i express an opinion strongly people often ignore what i've written and just shout "you're being a student"...

or to quote 'whore who disagreed with me (but didn't actually engage in discussing what i wrote) an "angry one eyed politics/philosophy student", which is bollocks.

i'm actually a four-eyed philosophy and politics student.

i'll admit that i also engage in a bit of student-bashing (especially if there's a bunch of them being "deep" in the pub when i'm trying to get pissed in comfort), but to roll out the young ones sudent cliches all the time is lazy, invertedly-snobbish and irksome.