Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

bbc - andrew marr

Started by Pythov, April 19, 2004, 09:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythov

Anyone else catch Mr Marr on the six o'clock news kicking over a two foot high chess king and saying "but this isn't chess! (kick) it's politics!"
More TDT than the TDT.

Pinball

Andy's a bit theatrical isn't he? hehe

Des Nilsen

I saw him and his camera man in the lobby of Parliament packing up their gear. I nudged my mate and said "ere' that's him off the beeb". Yeah, that's all I've got to say actually.

:rushes back:

Oh, yes and that chess thing sounded strange. It's not often I notice the BBC doing stuff like that (or BBC reporters, more to the point). It's usually ITV with their bizarre idiot's logic on an issue.
I've no example of this in mind but it happens often, sort of '<blah blah about something> - so what does this mean for <such and such>' to which you could say it (whatever it is) has absolutely nothing to do with 'such and such'.
I'm rambling a bit.

-

"Handsome" Andy Marr is great. He seems to have got even more absurd as he's become more famous.

fanny splendid

He should have stayed in The Smiths.

Cerys

I saw it, but just ended up thinking that it was a shitty analogy to use given the stupidity of the General Public.  Surely they should have used football or Big Brother?  It'd have been a damn sight more entertaining to see him kick insipid wannabees around.*

* Yeah, like I really mean any of this....

Ambient Sheep

I couldn't believe the fucking ITV news at six last night!  Blair performs "an E-U-turn", complete with the reporter (Nick whashisface, who should know a damn sight better and be ashamed of himself) driving past a No.10 lookalike building in a limousine first one way, delivering some copy, then driving off, screeching round, and coming back the other way to deliver the rest of it.

I mean, what the FUCK?  What the fucking fuck is our news coverage coming to?  I really couldn't believe it.  As has been said, it out TDT's TDT.  One can only assume that some cunt somewhere assumed that TDT was only making up funny news stories, not taking the piss out of the presentational style too.

</rant>

The sad thing is, as far as I'm aware, Blair hasn't really done a massive U-turn anyway.  I don't think he ever explicitly ruled it out, merely said he couldn't see a need for it and was unlikely to do it.  (Anyway, it's obviously an Iraq distraction tactic, coming on the same day that the Spanish PM has confirmed he's pulling his troops out.)

Purple Tentacle

I know I've mentioned it before, but Newsnight constantly and deliberately lapses into hilarious sillyness. Paxman said, at one point I'm sure, that he was a massive fan of TDT, and I'm sure ANYBODY training in graphic design in news presentation has watched it.

My favourite example in recent memory was a video shot of Downing Street, with the voiceover "Downing Street is coming under scrutiny"..... the cameraman then shakily held a magnifying glass up to the lens, to indicate scrutiny.

Lovely stuff.

chand

God yeah, I saw the scrutiny one, if I'd have been drinking I'd have covered the screen.

ITV News has developed a really annoying habit in their introductions of writing tabloidy little headlines for its news stories, and then, not merely content with putting them up as a caption, actually reading them out inexplicably at the start of the news item.

'Aaaaaaaaand 'POSH OFF' (up pops massive 'POSH OFF' caption), Victoria Beckham returns to England without David'

bill hicks

When ITV does it I cringe and rant at how fucking appaling our news has become, and yet when the BBC does I laugh and nod sagely.

It's strange I know, but I always get the impression that Newsnight/ Paxman/ Marr are doing it for a bit of a laugh, whereas ITV are doing it because they're convinced only cunts watch their broadcasts.