Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Scum Also Rises - new Adam Buxton sitcom

Started by purlieu, May 30, 2009, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

I know this has been briefly mentioned elsewhere but I thought, hey, why not? This just arrived in my inbox:

QuoteHello there!

We thought that you might be interested to know that tickets are now available for a brand new comedy series! As with all of our shows, the tickets are FREE!

THE SCUM ALSO RISES
A sitcom about the flaky, shaky, fakey "creatives" who work in the advertising industry. Underworked and overpaid, they're the people who spend all day trying to persuade you to buy things you don't want with money you don't have. They're scum.

There's Billy, who's smart and funny and STILL works in advertising; uncontrollable urge-bag Keaton; neurotic, spoiled Emma; boss Clive, the most Australian man on the planet; and hopeless, witless, feckless Greg – who wants to be as ambitious and amoral as his friends, but can't seem to manage even that.

Come and see the show that reaches the parts other comedies cannot reach.... Because you're worth it.

Starring Adam Buxton (Adam and Joe), Iain Lee (The 11 O'Clock Show) & Daisy Haggard (Man Stroke Woman), The Scum Also Rises will be taping at Teddington Studios on Thursdays during June & July and booking is now open. If you would like to join us, then apply now!
Booking is now open and may apply online via our website at http://www.sroaudiences.com

There was a pilot on BBC3 a while ago, so I'm guessing it'll be on there (or maybe BBC2 if it was popular enough?).
I'm interested, simply because of the phrase "the most Australian man on the planet".

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Do you think that in this Buxton will be permanently talking in the 'bloke from advertising' voice he and Joe sometimes do on their radio shows?

Edit: oh, probably not, seeing as judging from that email he'd be playing the straight man.

Retinend

Quote from: purlieu on May 30, 2009, 12:38:28 PMI'm interested, simply because of the phrase "the most Australian man on the planet".

Really?

I have hope for this, because Buxton co-wrote and acted in The Last Chancers, which is a proper good, underrated sitcom. Didn't like MeeBox or Rush Hour so maybe his strengths lie in Sitcom writing

The Last Chancers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PnAtMzvahQ&feature=channel_page

purlieu

Roy*Mallard

Cheers for the Last Chancers link - it was a very pleasant mornings viewing. Pretty decent show, but i'm guessing a 2nd series wasn't made, even tho the ending of the series left room for a possible 2nd.

Just found this - rather nice.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eggiI9ZsY3o

Good on ya, Mr Buxton!

Jemble Fred

Some good talent there, but isn't Advertising a bit hackneyed in sitcom land? I'm sure this must piss off Hunter & Docherty anyway.

Bean Is A Carrot

Quote from: purlieu on May 30, 2009, 07:48:44 PM
Yeah, I think I just like Australians a lot.

I predict this character will be like the one played by Greg Fleet in Time Gentleman Please.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Jemble Fred on May 31, 2009, 11:53:49 AM
Some good talent there, but isn't Advertising a bit hackneyed in sitcom land? I'm sure this must piss off Hunter & Docherty anyway.

I was just going to say that. Ad men have been done to death. Let's hope they bring something new to the table.

Marvin

Quote from: Retinend on May 30, 2009, 07:27:06 PM
Really?

I have hope for this, because Buxton co-wrote and acted in The Last Chancers, which is a proper good, underrated sitcom. Didn't like MeeBox or Rush Hour so maybe his strengths lie in Sitcom writing

As far as I'm aware this isn't written by Adam Buxon, the pilot certainly wasn't (and was also really poor).

Retinend

Quote from: Marvin on May 31, 2009, 07:41:32 PM
As far as I'm aware this isn't written by Adam Buxon, the pilot certainly wasn't (and was also really poor).

Oh. That was the only thing making me hopeful - Buxton starring is not a seal of quality by a long stretch.

actwithoutwords

I impulse-ordered a bunch of tickets for this week's recording the other day. But having read the email properly I'm having serious second thoughts. And with Marvin's post above, I'm teetering on the brink.

Portaccio

Never heard of it before, but apparently the pilot originally aired in 2007? Here is a little review of it:

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2007/05/tv_review_the_s_5.html

So, I gather Chris Barrie isn't on board anymore. I wonder why the hell it was resurrected and why they didn't, at the very least, change the title.

I can just picture some idiot pitching it to BBC execs: "It's The IT Crowd meets Mad Men!"

ozziechef

Andrew COllins is involved somewhere (writer?)

Psythor

He read stage directions and explained where scenes were set when I saw the script run-through.

"They're in an office" etc.

I've no idea if he wrote it, mind, though I guess he must be employed for something more than that.

Tiny Poster

The writer is the inexperienced Jonathan Thake, a former marketing executive with one other credit (a BBC3 pilot) inder his belt. Andrew Collins is script-editing the series.

Amazing what you can do with google.

An tSaoi

An tSaoi

Jack Shaftoe

QuoteI can just picture some idiot pitching it to BBC execs: "It's The IT Crowd meets Mad Men!"

Sometimes you have to pitch things like that, or at least let them connect the dots themselves. It's the only language they understand.

An tSaoi

It'll be like Monty Python meets The Office ... on acid!

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Portaccio on June 02, 2009, 03:44:31 AM
Never heard of it before, but apparently the pilot originally aired in 2007? Here is a little review of it:

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2007/05/tv_review_the_s_5.html

So, I gather Chris Barrie isn't on board anymore. I wonder why the hell it was resurrected and why they didn't, at the very least, change the title.

I can just picture some idiot pitching it to BBC execs: "It's The IT Crowd meets Mad Men!"

Wow, this one must have been being shopped around for ages then. I went to see a pilot filmed a year ago (June 12th in fact, so almost to the day).

No sign of Chris Barrie, but Iain Lee had a prominent role, and yes, Kevin Bishop was involved too. In fact that guy is absolutely spot-on about the accent - I couldn't tell if it was meant to be Noo Yoik or Dutch half the time.

Buxton, who I love as part of Adam & Joe, was terrible. The story, such as it was, was terrible, and it took so long to film it barely hung together at all anyway.

Did this version of the pilot ever get shown anywhere? If they have any pride at all, I'd hope they would have burnt the tapes.

To sum up: it was rubbish!