Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Handy shortcuts and timesavers

Started by Nuclear Optimism, July 01, 2012, 01:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Windows + M minimises all open programs to the taskbar.

Alt + Print Screen prints only the window of the open screen rather than the entire desktop view.

Ctrl + Alt + Arrow Key of your choice changes the direction of the screen display.

I don't really understand why the last one is useful for anyone, but it does make me incredibly popular when people haven't locked their screens at work and I change it so everything is upside down.

mcbpete

The only thing I can think of for the screen flipping/rotating one is for projectors and that (possibly)

rudi

Quote from: weekender on July 03, 2012, 05:05:33 PM
I don't really understand why the last one is useful for anyone,

Tablets, touchscreens etc

Uncle TechTip

If you got your slimline LCD VDU on a stand where you can rotate it on the vertical plane, and you read a lot of documents, your life might be transformed by rotating your screen 90deg and hitting the appropriate arrow key combo.

olliebean

J, K, and L whilst watching a YouTube video = back 10 secs, pause/play, forward 10 secs.

HappyTree

I have a monitor that you can rotate to give a document a nice, big portrait screen. I used it once, thought oh cool I'll use that, then never used it again. But if I had this at work I might use it.

One handy thing I use with my 2 monitors is moving a reduced window with the mouse. If I have something open on the second monitor (TV) but it's switched off so I can't see it then I right-click on it on the task bar, choose Move, press an arrow key once and from then on I can move it with the mouse. It's a quick way of bringing the window back to the 1st monitor so I can see it.

Angst in my Pants

A really handy one for iPhone users - you can store your own shortcuts for long phrases; I find this really useful for storing my email address for quicker logging in (especially given it's long and has a few underscores).

So for example if I type in "myem" it will auto-correct to my email address.

This is under Settings / General / Keyboard / Add New Shortcut; just type a Phrase and the Shortcut you want to associate with it.