Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,358
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CRISPS, tho'

Started by the science eel, April 25, 2016, 08:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

I like buffalo Hunky Dorys too, although I've still got a packet lying unopened in my cupboard from about three months ago, which never happens with me and crisps.

As for Meanies, the packets seem to be a non-standard size, so that might account for their relative stinginess compared to other snacks.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All the flavours

Space flavour
Gymnasium
Pilau Rice
Sweat on the Cob
Pit Quim
General Election
Artifice and Bavarian Smoked Teeth

Mr Eggs

I emailed Burtons and demanded scampi flavour fish n chips.

They fucked it up.

Red sauce is the shit. Not had brown yet.

AllisonSays

They sell those fish'n'chips crisps at a vending machine in my office, I might sample them later. Is it possible to eat too much crisps? I cam home from the pub last night having had my tea before going out - still fairly lucid, only had two pints and two bottles - and ate one of the one pound, too-big-for-one-person-really bags of Monster Munch.

I could easily do that every night I reckon, pub or not. Same with supermarket own-brand tortilla chips, I'd eat a family-sized bag of them in an evening no bother. Can't have the fucking things in the house.

In response to the implicit thread question - Brannigans beef and mustard are the best crisp, followed by Buffalo Hunkie-Dories. Scampi fries are delicious but not a crisp.

colacentral

Not-a-crisps could be their own subgenre of food.

the hum

Every supermarket has its own-brand equivalent (I presume), but anyway that there's the Co-Op's budget Frazzles. Every bit as good as the originals, but cheap and in big bags. Addictive as crack and every packet contains about a month's intake of salt. Think I'll go and buy some right now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

All the flavours

Slag Heap
Tonsilitis
Hard on & Bergamot
Blemished Ceramics
Food 71A
Pulled Gannet
Dog

amnesiac

holyzombiejesus

I've resurrected this thread to announce that these...

...might well be the nicest crisps that I have ever eaten.

MjjW

For those complaining about the amount of Meanies per pack (6 months ago), I recommend upgrading to Mega Meanies.
Which I have bought a bulk load off of ebay to be shipped across the sea to me this very week.

Replies From View

Quote from: MjjW on October 20, 2016, 09:36:34 PM

You've got some on your finger.  Or that person has, if it's not you.

Actually turns my stomach a bit.

Blumf

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 19, 2016, 02:18:36 PM
I've resurrected this thread to announce that these...

...might well be the nicest crisps that I have ever eaten.

You may well be correct. The first mouthful is weird, but then your taste buds adjust and it's surprisingly nice. The best of that range.

The worst is the sausage and brown sauce one, which tastes like stale wine. Can't work out how they fucked that up.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Cheese/Cucumber and Salad Cream is the only one I haven't tried yet - didn't like the look of it but I'm going to try it if you two say it's good. Agree about Sausage and Brown Sauce being nasty, as is Cheese Toastie and Worcester Sauce, although they both sound like they should be gorgeous. Roast Chicken and Mayonnaise and Ham and Mustard are both overpoweringly artificial-tasting, the 'mustard' in the latter is very strong, which might be okay if only it tasted halfway authentic. 

Best by far is Bacon and Tomato Ketchup (at least until I've had CC&SC), which is more or less redolent of a classic crisp flavour.

drambo

there's entire threads dedicated to salt and vinegar crisps on here and it's a prickly area, but these deserve mention for those stuck for replacing all the now watered down healthy sell-outs. these will have you breathing fire again.

i had to give up on store bought crisps as a staple and start making my own out of spelt or kale. laugh away.

imitationleather

Those crisps are indeed good. I rarely eat crisps nowadays because they are just filth, and so I prefer to keep them for a special occasion (or a long train journey). I know, that sounds pathetic, as though my life is so joyless that I have to reserve crisps as a special event that gets put in my diary, but here I am. Anyway, when I do think I deserve a crisp treat I go to town and eat an entire big bag of those fuckers. Makes me feel ill and gives me spots (at 30!) but fuck is it worth it at the time.

Cloud

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 19, 2016, 02:18:36 PM...might well be the nicest crisps that I have ever eaten.

Yum yum yum!

I agree wholeheartedly

Rocket Surgery

I'm not reading a five page thread about crisps, but have we done "Herring-flavoured" yet?

If not, there.

MjjW

QuoteYou've got some on your finger.  Or that person has, if it's not you.

Actually turns my stomach a bit.

Not my finger thank goodness. I would not waste such precious morsels. According to the watermark that is the hand of a 2010 Techno Gypsie. Big thumbnails eh.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on October 21, 2016, 03:08:08 AM
I'm not reading a five page thread about crisps, but have we done "Herring-flavoured" yet?

If not, there.

When you bite into a Herring-flavoured crisp does it go "SO ERRRRRR"?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blumf on October 20, 2016, 10:09:47 PM
You may well be correct. The first mouthful is weird, but then your taste buds adjust and it's surprisingly nice. The best of that range.

Spot on. First time I tried them, I initially thought they were foul. Then, 2 or 3 seconds later, I was in crisp heaven.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Tried the Cheese and Cucumber for the first time today to complete the collection, and like others here my first reaction was ugh, then not bad. However, by the end of the bag it was back to ugh. The salad cream flavour came through momentarily, but ultimately it's just another weird chemical taste.  So, a clear win for Bacon and Tomato Ketchup, but I wouldn't be sad to see that go either.  Walkers, I hereby declare you to be bloated and rubbish.

Dex Sawash

Crisps for Cunts

QuoteA Swedish microbrewery has created exclusive crisps that are made from some of the fanciest ingredients around. But, would you be willing to fork out £46 for just five?   

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/the-world-s-most-expensive-crisps-a7371291.html

Puce Moment

I had some cheese and onion McCoys yesterday. Holy fuck, are those some weighty and motherfucking oily fucking crisps. At one point, after stuffing a particularly large handful into my gob, I realised how much oil was swimming around in there.

Delicious.

im barry bethel

Golden Wonder 24 multpackl (+6 free) £3 in Icelands

Ready salted
Salt & vinegar
Cheese & onion
Smokey bacon
Prawn cocktail
Roast chicken

That's all you'll ever need

Replies From View

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 23, 2016, 04:51:08 PM
I had some cheese and onion McCoys yesterday. Holy fuck, are those some weighty and motherfucking oily fucking crisps. At one point, after stuffing a particularly large handful into my gob, I realised how much oil was swimming around in there.

Delicious.

A lot of it might have been your tasty saliva.

Replies From View

mobias

Quote from: Blumf on October 20, 2016, 10:09:47 PM

The worst is the sausage and brown sauce one, which tastes like stale wine. Can't work out how they fucked that up.

You at utterly wrong about that. I tried all the the new 'novelty' flavours of Walkers crisps and found the only ones I really liked were the sausage and brown sauce ones, which I found really quite yummy.

They all seemed too artificially flavoured for my tastes, almost unnervingly accurate. Like you were eating lot of heavily scientifically researched chemicals, which of course you are.

Replies From View

See, that's the thing about crisps.  More and more of the salt and vinegar crisps nowadays taste like actual salt and vinegar, which is absolutely missing the point.  Crisps are not a healthy range of unprocessed, natural ingredients prepared by your gran, and they should stop pretending to be.  They should taste like they did in the 1970s, not uncannily like the thing they are trying to emulate.

Bazooka

Will some good soul go and buy me a pack of bacon Wheat Crunchies from a swimming pool snack machine?! Please I am desperate, I will pay for the inconvenience.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The cucumber sandwich crisps are one of the few packets I've ever not managed to finish, as I thought there was a real risk I was going to be sick. Started badly and got worse. Disgusting.