Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:09:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: the Fallen on January 11, 2022, 07:53:10 AM"In 2008, I spotted Haddaway in a hotel steam room. I strode over, introduced myself and said I wanted him to sing on a jingle I'd written. The sessions went badly and it was only when I visited the same hotel and saw him dredging the pool that I realised he wasn't Haddaway, just a man who worked for Jurys Inn."

I was thinking of this very quote the other day.  It's wonderful.

bomb_dog

Armando interviewed at the Gruan:

Quote from: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/feb/24/armando-iannucci-everything-since-2016-has-been-a-wind-upExactly what was supposed to be in the drawer in Alan Partridge's room at the Linton Travel Tavern?

Well, both Steve and I know, and it's very funny, but I think if I told you ... I did tell someone once at a live event. It's very, very specific, so I'm sure my answer is somewhere out there on the internet.

Anyone know, or is this common knowledge round these parts and I've missed it?

kalowski

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 24, 2022, 03:56:04 PMArmando interviewed at the Gruan:

QuoteAccording to Alan's co-creator Armando Iannucci, speaking at Nottingham's ScreenLit Festival earlier this year, the writers knew specifically: copies of the fictional Dutch special-interest magazine, Dikke Vrouwen op de Toiletten.
(Fat Women on the Toilet)

QDRPHNC

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 24, 2022, 03:56:04 PMArmando interviewed at the Gruan:

On one of the commentaries, I think they said it was a massive dildo, but I might be misremembering.

Magnum Valentino

Tikwid

Just remembered a line from one of the Mid Morning Matters king & car segments - Alan saying "Oliver Cromwell?!? He wasn't in...wasn't even born yet!" and I absolutely love the implication that he was going to say "wasn't invented yet"

FalseRodHull

As I sit in front of the TV, angrily eating crisps,

buttgammon

Quote from: FalseRodHull on April 08, 2022, 09:11:05 AMAs I sit in front of the TV, angrily eating crisps,

Yes! A subtle strand I like in more recent Partridge is that he seems to have partially replaced his Toblerone addiction with the emotional eating of crisps.

QDRPHNC

There's nothing quite like the stink of Quaver dust that's been absorbed by human skin, then sweated back out onto the bedsheets.

Utter Shit

Quote from: the Fallen on January 11, 2022, 07:53:10 AM"In 2008, I spotted Haddaway in a hotel steam room. I strode over, introduced myself and said I wanted him to sing on a jingle I'd written. The sessions went badly and it was only when I visited the same hotel and saw him dredging the pool that I realised he wasn't Haddaway, just a man who worked for Jurys Inn."

There are a few of these non-anecdotes in later Partridge, where his mind runs away with him before getting dragged back to the mundane reality of his life. I really like the bit in Oasthouse where he sees his neighbour putting his bins out, gets suspicious of the size and shape of the bin bags, convinces himself that the neighbour has killed his wife and then sees the wife alive and well on their driveway...all in the space of about fifteen seconds.

robhug

Somehow and very sadly the kids are currently hooked on watching Dragon's Den (despite my protestations about what terrible people these 'dragons' are), which I can only get through by referring back to Partridge, sitting on a bed in a Travelodge eating grapes picking holes in business idea's before offering some fortunate entrepreneur an investment in the 'high 3 figures' 

markburgle

I love his occasional ill-concealed cribbing of information from wikipedia to sound knowledgeable. Best one being "I've always loved flint - that hard, sedimentary, crypto-crystalline form of mineral quartz categorized - certainly by this observer - as a variety of chert".

amateur

Just wonderful.

Reminds me of the superb line in Nomad talking about sins:

"We all know the seven existing ones: pride, envy, wrath, gluttony, lust, sloth, etc."

AngryGazelle

As a tight-knit bunch, stall holders know anyone stupid enough to steal from them will be cornered by fellow traders even before they reach the market's perimeter, and given an absolute pasting.

kalowski

Just fallen about laughing at the "condemnations" part of the Nomad audiobook. So perfect the way he says "Kwik Fit Fitters" followed by "ISIS" as if, in Alan's mind, they are equally worthy of his contempt.

buttgammon

Quote from: kalowski on April 11, 2022, 08:34:06 AMJust fallen about laughing at the "condemnations" part of the Nomad audiobook. So perfect the way he says "Kwik Fit Fitters" followed by "ISIS" as if, in Alan's mind, they are equally worthy of his contempt.

My partner and I often listen to audiobooks at night when we're going to sleep, including the whole Alan Partridge repertoire. The last time we did Nomad, she actually had to turn it off at this point (about two minutes in) because I was laughing too hard.

"The fridge where they keep the Magnums - Magna" is another one that always gets me!

markburgle

Quote from: buttgammon on April 11, 2022, 09:16:48 AMMy partner and I often listen to audiobooks at night when we're going to sleep, including the whole Alan Partridge repertoire. The last time we did Nomad, she actually had to turn it off at this point (about two minutes in) because I was laughing too hard.

"The fridge where they keep the Magnums - Magna" is another one that always gets me!

"I was truly down in the doldrums (brackets, doldra)"

I've always liked this from "I, Partridge", regarding his eulogy for his mother at her funeral:
It all got too much. I became so grief-stricken I barely knew what I was saying. For a while I thought I was broadcasting. Uncle Pete said that at one point I tried to introduce 'Cool for Cats' by Squeeze.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on April 12, 2022, 01:57:43 PMI've always liked this from "I, Partridge", regarding his eulogy for his mother at her funeral:
It all got too much. I became so grief-stricken I barely knew what I was saying. For a while I thought I was broadcasting. Uncle Pete said that at one point I tried to introduce 'Cool for Cats' by Squeeze.

Similarly, this bit: "[...] on one occasion staying at the studio for two days straight until I began to hallucinate during the traffic report of my third show without sleep and jumped into a bank of monitors to avoid a motorbike."

Ronnie the Raincoat

kalowski

Twilkes

The two I'd propose probably aren't oft-forgotten, but when Alan has made a table out of a door and has to keep moving stuff around to make it balance properly; and when the asking price of a house if £325k and he thinks he's chancing his arm by offering £324k and the estate agent bemusedly accepts it.

Looking back at old clips I'm struck by how much of a young-man-playing-an-old man Steve Coogan looks a few decades ago, so in many ways it's no wonder that the character has stood the test of time.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Twilkes on April 14, 2022, 10:42:00 AMThe two I'd propose probably aren't oft-forgotten, but when Alan has made a table out of a door and has to keep moving stuff around to make it balance properly; and when the asking price of a house if £325k and he thinks he's chancing his arm by offering £324k and the estate agent bemusedly accepts it.

I have a different interpretation of that scene, Alan assumes he is flush with cash and wants his massive ego-house NOW so makes a token gesture at negotiating.

Quote from: Twilkes on April 14, 2022, 10:42:00 AMbut when Alan has made a table out of a door and has to keep moving stuff around to make it balance properly;
I love the "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, LYNN!!" bit of that scene.

imitationleather

Surely Alan thinking the South African saying "can't" is in fact "cunt" is one of the lowest points in the entire history of Partridge though.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Twilkes on April 14, 2022, 10:42:00 AMThe two I'd propose probably aren't oft-forgotten, but when Alan has made a table out of a door and has to keep moving stuff around to make it balance properly;

I thought that was daft when I first watched it but it's definitely got comparisons with when Alan attempts to convince the RTE execs that he lives with Ged Maxwell. He's in a completely unbelievable situation yet his attempts to try and authenticate it just make the whole thing sound even more ridiculous by the utterance ("shall we go into the... YES, the lounge" is one of my favourite Partridge lines). Like when Ged hands him the washing detergent dispenser thing used as an emergency mug and he says "I often think I should swallow this whole and let it slosh around my system," he's tried to create it in his mind that it's a regular occurrence in this universe he's had to quickly devise and make it sound legitimate, like he's willing to accept they only have one mug in a house of two people, but it just sounds bonkers. I do wonder why he has a door with a gents sign on though. Maybe he's bought a load on the cheap for the house, or he won't have women using his bathrooms?

Quote from: imitationleather on April 14, 2022, 01:22:45 PMSurely Alan thinking the South African saying "can't" is in fact "cunt" is one of the lowest points in the entire history of Partridge though.

100% agree on that.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on April 14, 2022, 01:22:45 PMSurely Alan thinking the South African saying "can't" is in fact "cunt" is one of the lowest points in the entire history of Partridge though.

"DAN" is the nadir

kalowski

I was just falling about laughing at the Nomad audiobook during the whole section where he's had a boot stolen and crafts the show from a plastic bag and slices of bread and as he walks to Harvey's house to see if his TV show will be commissioned the bread is flattened almost like a communion wafer.
He then has a wash with a bottle of Evian and a sock behind a car and hides the sock in a flowerbed. Coogan makes this dreadful situation sound so believable.
The final beautiful touch is that Harvey isn't even in.

Ferris

I really like the mystical tramp section which adds nothing to Partridge's narrative, except for some choice lines he made up ("Julia Bradbury makes £££") and the fact that he loses a boot.

kalowski

The way it incorporates Alpha Papa into the book is fantastic. "After all, no one got hurt. Apart from Michael who died."