Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Bolton's Big, Sexy Valentines Day Special

Started by Mobius, February 12, 2017, 02:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Written by Scott Aukerman, Akiva (The Lonely Island) starring Michael Bolton, Adam Scott, Sarah Silverman, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisen, Michael Sheen, Chris Parnell, Maya Rudolph, Will Forte, Eric Andre, Casey Wilson and little cameos from Brooke Shields, Janeane Garofolo, Kenny G, Bob Saget and others

The premise is that Michael Bolton loves Valentines Day because it means there's only 10 months until Christmas. Then Santa Claus visits him and tells him the Elves have made too many presents and christmas is going to be ruined unless Michael Bolton can make more children for the presents so he throws a big sexy valentines special so people get all horned up and create enough kids in time for christmas.

It's essentially an extended episode of Comedy Bang Bang and it's bloody funny. Bolton is stiff, but sort of works in that awkward way. Nice songs, lots of very CBB skits, the usual cameos from that world.

It's on Netflix. I'd def recommend it, and you don't need to know anything about Bolton obviously. I do love the idea of old ladies and that seeing this on and thinking its serious.

Jack Shaftoe

I wish I found Sarah Silverman a tenth as funny as she seems to find herself. :(

Custard

I always get Michael Bolton mixed up with Fabio

Who remembers when that bird flew into Fabio's face when he was on a rollercoaster that time?

http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/16/13/980x490/landscape-1459283603-fabio-goose-busch-gardens.jpg

New Jack

ajsmith

I loved the punks/'Good Old Fashioned Rock and Roll' sequence. Funniest thing I've seen so far this year.

Moribunderast

For the most part I just found this pleasant without being outrageously funny (like the CBB TV show, really) but there were some huge laughs there, for sure. The aforementioned punks sequence was gloriously dumb and Bolton's delivery of
Spoiler alert
"I'm your son?!" and "What the fuck is going on?" while Santa is dying
[close]
had me in hysterics. The
Spoiler alert
baby reveal: "I couldn't imagine a better way to phrase that!"
[close]
was great too. 

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on February 12, 2017, 08:52:03 AM
I wish I found Sarah Silverman a tenth as funny as she seems to find herself. :(

You're in safe company - I saw one of the shows on her now infamous UK tour from a few years ago where she was (rightly and deservedly) heckled off stage almost every night.

The Roofdog

Lots of great bits in this, the punks bit, and the way the mattress salesman gets past the security guards. Could've done without all the non-Bolton musical guests though.

Hugh Jass

Thought it wasn't off to a great start with the Silverman/Park song. Thankfully I was proven wrong.

Does anybody think the first scene with the mattress salesman was meant to be an homage to Phillip Seymour Hoffman's scenes in Punch Drunk Love? The way it was shot was very similar. Normally I'd write this off as a coincidence, but I could have sworn that I read something about it being an homage a few days ago, though of course now I've forgotten where, and if, I even read it at all. It's driving me insane.

Blinder Data

Watched it till the Kenny G jam session. I smiled a couple of times but didn't laugh much.

Bolton was the funniest part of the bits I saw, strangely enough.

phantom_power

I liked the key change song. Simple but fun, and Rudolph is great with that sort of material

Penfold

My favourite part was also the Punks but the way Andy Richter said
Spoiler alert
We lost one
[close]
was very dark, and funny.

Also anything with Chris Parnell is funny.

falafel

Does anyone have fond memories of this or has it fallen into the abyss? Every six months or so my brain throws the Key Change song into my consciousness and I finally succumbed and rewatched on a whim. Loved it. Remarkable how much the chef skit is like a prototypical I Think You Should Leave sketch. Doesn't look like it got much interest here.

Maybe just an example of how idiomatic comedy can be. I'm not sure it was designed to be remembered but some bits of this are just lodged in my memory.

Mobius

I recently rewatched it and really loved it. Shame it didn't get more attention, I agree. I think it's hilarious.

falafel

It was also how I learned that Maya Rudolph is Minnie Ripperton's daughter.

wrec

Quote from: Custard on February 12, 2017, 01:17:45 PMWho remembers when that bird flew into Fabio's face

Man, we just fell about the place