Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Board Game

Started by Mr Brightside, May 02, 2017, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Brightside

What's the best board game? Draughts? Monopoly? Here's your chance to have your say.

Obel

Butchers Blind

ASFTSN

Out of stuff I've played in the last couple of years, Pax Romana or Combat Commander.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 02, 2017, 01:00:12 PM
What's the best board game? Draughts? Monopoly?

So close to a negging.

pancreas

GOOD THREAD.

Puerto Rico. Although if anyone wants a game of Dominion online, you need only say the word.

I also like: Splendour, Carcassonne, Pandemic (still have yet to try Legacy), Settlers is okay (but I only have the base game).

Mr Brightside

Any fans of Nine Men's Morris?

Norton Canes

Quote from: pancreas on May 02, 2017, 01:10:16 PMif anyone wants a game of Dominion online, you need only say the word

Yes

Not today, too busy. But soon. AWAIT THE WORD

Kane Jones

BEST

WORST

She doesn't look that sorry to me. Looks more like she's gloating.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

My current favourites are Isle of Skye and Codenames.

For online play my favourite is Carcassonne.

Hoping never to play Monopoly again in my life.

Glebe

Norton Canes

If we're talking retro games, then ESCAPE from ATLANTIS is great:

Robot DeNiro

You can't go wrong with Carcassonne.  Unless you add too many expansions.  Recently I've also been enjoying Bruges and Oh My Goods.  For short, two player only games, Lost Cities and Patchwork are hard to beat.

Here's our previous Board Games thread, although there's no harm in starting a new one - http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,38418.0.html

Norton Canes

Oh good, I can copy n' paste my 'best game' posts from there.

I still haven't managed to get a copy of Kolejka.

pancreas

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 02, 2017, 03:09:57 PM
I still haven't managed to get a copy of Kolejka.

Jesus, that sounds as bleak as Papers Please.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 02, 2017, 01:17:31 PM
BEST
I've got this. I had it when I was young but it was from a boot sale and the pterodactyl was missing. There's an old home video of me talking about it in my posh little 8 year old voice which became a running joke in our family. 'It's got a piece missing,' I repine. A few years ago my sister bought me the complete game for my birthday, but she took out the pterodactyl for a hilarious prank. Very funny but I've had the last laugh because it's one of the greatest board games ever created[nb]it's not[/nb]

Obel

Oh also Sons of Anarchy is a brilliant boardgame. And dirt cheap at £18, if you already have a board gaming group and you like negotiationy, back stabby games then it's an absolute must buy.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Obel on May 02, 2017, 03:47:25 PM
Oh also Sons of Anarchy is a brilliant boardgame. And dirt cheap at £18, if you already have a board gaming group and you like negotiationy, back stabby games then it's an absolute must buy

Agreed.

GF9's adaptation of TV series Spartacus is fantastically back-stabby too. And they've completed a Doctor Who game, Time of the Daleks, too - though when it's actually going to be released is anyone's guess.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 02, 2017, 03:58:15 PM...And they've completed a Doctor Who game, Time of the Daleks, too - though when it's actually going to be released is anyone's guess.

End of June most likely.

Attila

Mr Attila has a Clangers version of snakes and ladders.

He got it out when he couldn't think of anything to do on our first date after he got me back to the house.[nb]
Spoiler alert
sod it, the bloody thing's stuck again
[close]
[/nb]

Beach

Mr Brightside

Would you say the old school paper-and-pencil version of Battleship classes as a board game? That's actually my preferred way to play it. The guy in the electronic one sounds like a right cunt.

Utter Shit

When I was a kid I used to absolutely love Monopoly, but in retrospect it's absolute horse dung. Aside from any modern moral issues about winning a game by forcing everyone else into destitution, it doesn't really work as a game - the first half an hour or so is decent fun, but you quickly get to a point where only one person has any real chance of winning, but the game won't actually end for another three hours until everyone else has taken their turn at landing on enough of hotels to bankrupt themselves.

I always loved Yahtzee. A great combination of luck and tactics, with about 90% of it tactics.

Incidentally, how did noughts and crosses ever take off? Unless one of you is suffering from early-onset dementia, no game between two people above the age of about four should end in anything other than a draw.

Mr Brightside

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 02, 2017, 06:59:09 PM
Incidentally, how did noughts and crosses ever take off? Unless one of you is suffering from early-onset dementia, no game between two people above the age of about four should end in anything other than a draw.

That's why I only ever play with people with early-onset dementia. I still fucking lose, though.

armful

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 02, 2017, 01:17:31 PM
BEST

WORST

She doesn't look that sorry to me. Looks more like she's gloating.

One Christmas my uncle asked my siblings and i to tell him one thing we wanted for Christmas and  he would get it. I asked for a computer game. The twat actually got us the Board game Sorry . Not one each , one board game to share. At the time I thought Bastard. I know admire this cruel prank.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Mr Brightside on May 02, 2017, 07:01:49 PM
That's why I only ever play with people with early-onset dementia. I still fucking lose, though.

I once lost a game of rock, paper, scissors to a man with no fingers.

pancreas

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 02, 2017, 07:03:01 PM
I once lost a game of rock, paper, scissors to a man with no fingers.

Luxury. I once lost a game of archery to a blind man with no arms.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 02, 2017, 06:59:09 PM

Boring answer: it's  simplified/kiddified version of Three Men's Morris, which is itself a simplification of Nine Men's Morris mentioned by Mr brightside up thread.

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on May 02, 2017, 07:13:57 PM
Luxury. I once lost a game of archery to a blind man with no arms.

Well I once lost a regional shit-off to a man with no anus.

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 02, 2017, 07:16:14 PM
Boring answer: it's  simplified/kiddified version of Three Men's Morris, which is itself a simplification of Nine Men's Morris mentioned by Mr brightside up thread.

I wish somebody would release a simplified version of Bald Man's 'Arris.  I find it far too tricky.