Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:30:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Film cliches you want to fuck off

Started by popcorn, September 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 29, 2022, 01:42:06 PMAn unpleasant character choking on food having their life saved through the Heimlich Manoeuvre. Extra points if it's a man performing it on a woman for the sexual connotation. Always in comedies though, never in dramas.

Or someone being saved by someone else they've not liked.

All Surrogate

mrpupkin

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on June 16, 2021, 10:32:38 AMHope this hasn't been mentioned yet - People rifling through medicine cabinets (the ones that no-one has; those thin ones attached to the bathroom wall with a mirror on the front) and clumsily spilling all the pill bottles out.

Quote from: mrpupkin on July 22, 2018, 08:14:00 PMLooking for something important in a cabinet using the trusty method of just flinging shit everywhere.

I guess these aren't identical, but I couldn't resist the bragpost

Sebastian Cobb

S'pose it's a technical/continuity error rather than an actual cliche but period dramas where someone with gegs has lenses with the green anti-glare coating you get on modern lenses.

Better than the fake flat glass glasses you used to see on film/tv.

beanheadmcginty

People swearing some sort of blood oath that involves slicing themselves really badly on the hand with a knife/dagger and dripping the blood on something. Has this ever been done in real life for a proper reason? (not counting teenagers attempting to copy it from seeing it in films)

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 27, 2022, 12:30:54 AMS'pose it's a technical/continuity error rather than an actual cliche but period dramas where someone with gegs has lenses with the green anti-glare coating you get on modern lenses.

Better than the fake flat glass glasses you used to see on film/tv.

The remake Dads Army movie was ruined because Captain Mainwaring is wearing those green reflective glasses.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on October 27, 2022, 01:53:07 AMThe remake Dads Army movie was ruined because Captain Mainwaring is wearing those green reflective glasses.

ffs well done

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 27, 2022, 12:54:04 AMPeople swearing some sort of blood oath that involves slicing themselves really badly on the hand with a knife/dagger and dripping the blood on something. Has this ever been done in real life for a proper reason? (not counting teenagers attempting to copy it from seeing it in films)

Definitely shit in modern dramas, but it was allegedly a thing in medieval Hungary and SE Europe. Historically it seems to have usually been done by collecting arm blood in a golden vessel rather than just slapping bloody hands together (bloodletting was also a medical practice, so presumably they knew how to do it safely). And cutting your arm is less debilitating than slashing your palm which rules out a wide range of activities. Wikipedia also claims "In the 18th century AD, emissaries of British King George III and leaders of the Jamaican Maroons reportedly drank each other's blood when conducting peace treaties" but that definitely sounds like "What I did on my holidays" bullshit.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 27, 2022, 12:54:04 AMPeople swearing some sort of blood oath that involves slicing themselves really badly on the hand with a knife/dagger and dripping the blood on something. Has this ever been done in real life for a proper reason? (not counting teenagers attempting to copy it from seeing it in films)

It's not the slicing specifically that irritates me, it's that they carry on afterwards as if nothing has happened.

"Want me to carry on with the adventure? Fuck off!  I'm going home. I'll be back in a few weeks when this has healed.  You could have just pricked my thumb with a pin, fuckwit!"

Pink Gregory

Also surely you can't really do it more than twice.

You'd just put a cannula in, wouldn't you.

neveragain

kalowski

Enjoyed Enola Holmes 2 with the kids last night but it's a cliché fest. I think that's OK because it felt like it was almost teaching my kids about stuff in this thread.
For example, cold opening into Enola running, being chased by two policemen. She looks back and then almost runs into someone as she turns forward. Gets into a dead end. Fists ready as the policemen slowly walk towards her. Looks at camera, "I suppose you're wondering how I got here. Let's go back to the beginning." Queue film moving backwards quickly and the story begins properly.
Kids loved it.

Brundle-Fly

When a character gets fired in an office environment, they will always be forlornly putting away into a cardboard box: framed pictures of loved ones, a spider plant, an executive toy, a Rolodex and a calendar.  It will be carried at chest height.

Talking of offices, all police chiefs have a bottle of Bourbon and two tumblers hidden in the top drawer of a filing cabinet. And all desks in posh studies have a gun concealed in one of the drawers.

Technically, this has already f'cked off, but The Jacobs Ladder "wobbly head" comes to mind. IPlayer had an old Colin Firth film - Trauma - which I decided to watch, which literally had a sequence that had the audacity to do a wobbly-head in an abandoned hospital of all places. I almost laughed. In terms of other cliches, it was a flood of early 2000's "Fincher-esque" visual aesthetic, and I forgot how ubiquitous that style of filmmaking was back then. Choppy editing, overexposed whiteouts, blurring in and out of focus, saturated colours, edgy Big Beat / Triphop soundtracks. I wonder if anyone will try and revive that nonsense. I hope not.