Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

I saw Finlay Quaye once someone gave me a ticket. I hated him but I went along anyway expecting him to be absolutely fucking appalling and the worst thing I had ever seen but he defied my expectation and was fucking dreadful and in the top 5 of worst performances I have ever seen. He couldn't even be arsed to sing and kept walking off the stage confusing his backing musicians who had no idea what was going on.

famethrowa

Quote from: badaids on June 09, 2022, 06:27:36 AMI saw Finlay Quaye once

Maybe this was meant for the other thread? Anyway I love that clip of him getting booted off stage for being boring and shite, it should happen more often. But now I kinda feel sorry for him, he's not handled adult life well at all, what with fighting bus drivers and publicans and all.

famethrowa

The Mamas and Papas doing California Dreaming is basically them singing over the top of someone else's recording. Here's the original, it's a proper rug-pull to hear the famous, legendary acoustic intro and then in comes old gravel voice in the subsonic range.

https://youtu.be/5W2se8MMqwo

badaids

Quote from: famethrowa on June 09, 2022, 06:44:33 AMMaybe this was meant for the other thread? Anyway I love that clip of him getting booted off stage for being boring and shite, it should happen more often. But now I kinda feel sorry for him, he's not handled adult life well at all, what with fighting bus drivers and publicans and all.

Ah yes it should have been - apologies.

I've not seen that clip but I will.

When I saw him he came on, the band started playing he just ambled around staring at his feet mumbling. The band stopped so he started singing, so the band started again so he stopped singing, then the bad stopped again.

Then he mumbled « I tink somwan put somting in my drink » and wandered off the stage. The band played on for a bit, then stopped, obviously confused. This went on for about 30 minutes until it just ended. I do t remember any boos or anything, more shock at how shit it was and pity for the band.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: famethrowa on June 09, 2022, 06:47:51 AMThe Mamas and Papas doing California Dreaming is basically them singing over the top of someone else's recording. Here's the original, it's a proper rug-pull to hear the famous, legendary acoustic intro and then in comes old gravel voice in the subsonic range.

Partly true. They wrote the song and played on the original recording sung by their mate Barry McGuire, of Eve of Destruction fame. There was a change of plan and they recorded their own vocals on their backing track.

famethrowa

badaids

Quote from: famethrowa on June 09, 2022, 06:47:51 AMThe Mamas and Papas doing California Dreaming is basically them singing over the top of someone else's recording. Here's the original, it's a proper rug-pull to hear the famous, legendary acoustic intro and then in comes old gravel voice in the subsonic range.

My nutsack is brown
And my glans is grey
I've been for a wank
16 times today

That's what they should have sung.

Head Gardener

Location of Radiohead's OK Computer artwork has been discovered, it's taken from a highway junction in Hartford, Connecticut

popcorn

Sweet Home Alabama is a diss track against Neil Young

Goldentony

if it wasn't for how clean the backing track is this could pass for Killdozer

jamiefairlie

Response to "Southern Man".

Neil's still alive though.

popcorn

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 17, 2022, 07:34:48 PMLocation of Radiohead's OK Computer artwork has been discovered, it's taken from a highway junction in Hartford, Connecticut

I think I posted earlier in the thread but a while ago someone realised that the lyrics to Knives Out are lifted from an old episode of Silent Witness: https://youtu.be/0-DS-7ZHSGU

DJ Bob Hoskins

Can't remember if I saw this on CaB or elsewhere, but speaking of songs from Amnesiac...

Plastic Bertrand didn't actually sing Ça plane pour moi, it was Lou Deprijck, the guy who wrote and produced the song. In fact Plastic Bertrand didn't sing on any of his first 4 albums.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 11, 2022, 05:27:45 PMPlastic Bertrand didn't actually sing Ça plane pour moi, it was Lou Deprijck, the guy who wrote and produced the song. In fact Plastic Bertrand didn't sing on any of his first 4 albums.

Obligatory Two Man Sound clip (that's Lou in the sailor cap).

willbo

I saw Moloko supporting Garbage in 1998. Me and my friend were right by the stage next to the male musician member of the two. He literally just stood by his synth smoking weed and stumbling around, looking around weirdly and pushing a button occasionally. And we were just laughing at him. I couldn't believe they got big shortly afterwards. He looked like he wouldn't last the month.

dontpaintyourteeth

Finding out in that other thread about that Fantomas track being in a Lynx advert

DrGreggles

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on July 11, 2022, 05:56:20 PMObligatory Two Man Sound clip (that's Lou in the sailor cap).

Obligatory other Two Man Sound clip

phantom_power

Cecilia Ann by The Pixies is a cover version

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on July 14, 2022, 06:01:28 PMCecilia Ann by The Pixies is a cover version

God, that tune.
A fake surf tune written and performed by Steve "Ears" Hoffman and Charles "Frosty" Horton.
QuoteSo, on a Tuesday night, I got Jeff Traintime's Fender black face Twin (with JBL speakers), Frosty brought over his Fender bass and I pulled out my G&L beater strat-like guitar and we started in, without a clue in the world what to write.

My drums were already in the living room, I put a mic near the snare, the other mic on the Fender amp and Frosty and I sat on the couch and tried to write an old style surf song. Wasn't working. Frosty's wife brought pizza and after our second slice, Frosty had a brainstorm. He thought of a little melody fragment by Gabriel Fauré' that he liked and he played it for me. It was good but we changed the notes around, and progressed. I took a yellow legal page and knocked out the chords (I still have the page) as Frosty played his new melody. We liked it. We called it CECILIA ANN, a joke; a rough translation of Faure's little ditty from French to English.
I mean, always take what Hoffman says with a pinch of salt, but I believe this is genuine. A fake surf tune recorded in the 80s.
QuoteSo, around 9 pm, I turned on the tape recorder, got on the drums, Frosty on the bass and we both stared at the yellow paper and knocked out the basic track (drums/bass guitar) in one take! That was the easy part. The rest of the night we overdubbed Frosty's lead line. At midnight we stopped, he did an OK take, a few flubs (even better, we sounded like teenagers) and left it.
I still dig it, though.

phantom_power

I like it but Pixies really added something with the ethereal backing vocals

George White

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on July 11, 2022, 05:56:20 PMObligatory Two Man Sound clip (that's Lou in the sailor cap).

Pipou cowrote the song with Lou.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: kalowski on July 14, 2022, 06:14:06 PMGod, that tune.
A fake surf tune written and performed by Steve "Ears" Hoffman and Charles "Frosty" Horton.
I mean, always take what Hoffman says with a pinch of salt, but I believe this is genuine. A fake surf tune recorded in the 80s.I still dig it, though.

The story is mostly genuine, but Hoffman actually contributed so little to writing the song, that in 2002 he assumed the original piece had been composed by Érik Satie.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/cecilia-ann.185/#post-1431

For the record, the piece by Fauré was used a few times on Better Call Saul. That's the one Chuck McGill repeatedly tries to play on the piano.

kalowski

Doesn't surprise me that Hoofy exaggerated his part in this, or just how much a rip off it is of the Fauré piece.

Pauline Walnuts

Arn't all Surf songs fake?

:thinking face emoji:

famethrowa

The guitar intro/riff of Boys Don't Cry is extremely similar to the guitar refrain of Boys Are Back In Town, in fact it's the same chords and triplet run down at the end of the line. Never realised that before!

Rolf Lundgren

One of the producers on The Weeknd's most recent album Dawn FM is 80 year old Beach Boy Bruce Johnston. He also gets a co-writing credit on the song "Here We Go...Again" featuring Tyler the Creator.

Bently Sheds

The late Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne) is the cousin of Jon "Marvel's The Punisher" Bernthal.

lazyhour

Quote from: phantom_power on May 23, 2022, 11:38:55 AMNot so much a FMH but "why didn't I notice that before" but I didn't realise until the other day that Jim O'Rourke named three of his albums after Nic Roeg films

Fun bonus: he named The Visitor after Bowie's character in Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth!