Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Pictures

Started by Captain Crunch, May 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Happy to see that this is on tomorrow at noon. My first brush with it was at The Ministry Of Sound; they projected the party scene where everyone's dancing naked on an endless loop. Spectacular.

Quote from: Blumf on March 09, 2022, 11:32:42 PMThanks for the reminder, I was planning to see this on the weekend but forgot.

Very interesting film. Fits in with the general 70s British police and crimes films, but much sharper. Gritty but not grimy. Very surprised it doesn't appear to have turned up much on TV, considering the star name, as it's really does give Connery something to work with that you don't often see from him.

Watched the start last night. Didn't get to the offence, per se, but will follow up.

There was something so familiar to my childhood about those opening scenes though. New estates being built, already crumbling 60s shopping centres, the endless roundabouts.

Filmed in Bracknell. Obv.

Recorded

"The Best of the Adventures"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313272/

Presented by Peter Noble who seems to believe the films are a natural successor to Chaucer.

Blumf

Some surprising names turn up in the Adventures... films. What's Jon Pertwee doing there, or Robert Lindsay?

It has just dropped that I've got my wires crossed and these aren't at all related to the Confessions of ... movies.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 24, 2022, 08:57:31 AMRecorded

"The Best of the Adventures"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313272/

Presented by Peter Noble who seems to believe the films are a natural successor to Chaucer.

I touched upon that in a recent thread about Anna Karen. To be fair to Noble, he was talking about a tradition of bawdy humour in England when citing Chaucer - and in the same spirit of fairness, the case he was making for the Adventures carrying that torch and about how funny they are in general was wholly unconvincing.

I had totally forgotten that there were only three films in the series until it struck me that they were just showing bits from such a small number of movies. Taxi Driver is the only one that I've seen the entirety of and based on that, would say it's best to watch the entire films - not that watching the clips in context markedly improves them, but in isolation you can't help thinking 'And these are the best bits you say?....'

Ignatius_S

Quote from: A Hat Like That on March 24, 2022, 12:42:16 PMIt has just dropped that I've got my wires crossed and these aren't at all related to the Confessions of ... movies.

No, just trying to cash in on them.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blumf on March 24, 2022, 11:49:44 AMSome surprising names turn up in the Adventures... films. What's Jon Pertwee doing there, or Robert Lindsay?

Not just those films - so many a British sex comedies from that period have a surprising amount of actors one wouldn't associate with them.

The big reason was money - although there was more to 70s British cinema than sitcom spin-offs, horror and sex comedies (and happily, there's greater recognition of this these days) the industry wasn't in a state of good health and people couldn't afford to be too picky. In a biography of Harry H Corbett, Lynda Barron makes some good points and says that as an actor there are times when you ask yourself if you really want to be doing this and the answer is no to be honest, but you've a family to support.

There were issues in the television industry and obviously the UK wasn't in a good state economically.

*edit* meant to say that when Lindsey did Taxi Driver, it was when he was in Get Some In!, a very popular sitcom and although it was an ensemble cast, it was a big breakthrough role. This arguably underlines how insecure the profession was/is, even though Lindsey was one of the leads of a prime time hit sitcom, still did this sex comedy.

Blumf

Always forget Lindsay's sitcom career, even though he's done loads of them (the excellent Nightingales, for one). Think it's because I first noticed him in G.B.H., and just locked him in as a dramatic actor.

More generally, I always assumed a lot of these big name actors had the theatre to fall back on, but I suppose that's not as big a safety net as it could be.

Quote*edit* meant to say that when Lindsey did Taxi Driver, it was when he was in Get Some In!, a very popular sitcom and although it was an ensemble cast, it was a big breakthrough role. This arguably underlines how insecure the profession was/is, even though Lindsey was one of the leads of a prime time hit sitcom, still did this sex comedy.

Get Some In! is quite interesting as they clearly make the first episode or two as a vehicle for Tony Selby and the younger actors increase in prominence from there. IIRC the scottish lad doesn't even feature as more than a cameo in the first episode.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 24, 2022, 12:50:02 PMNo, just trying to cash in on them.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 24, 2022, 12:49:22 PMI touched upon that in a recent thread about Anna Karen. To be fair to Noble, he was talking about a tradition of bawdy humour in England when citing Chaucer - and in the same spirit of fairness, the case he was making for the Adventures carrying that torch and about how funny they are in general was wholly unconvincing.

I had totally forgotten that there were only three films in the series until it struck me that they were just showing bits from such a small number of movies. Taxi Driver is the only one that I've seen the entirety of and based on that, would say it's best to watch the entire films - not that watching the clips in context markedly improves them, but in isolation you can't help thinking 'And these are the best bits you say?....'

I think my three favourite/most noteworthy bits.

*the montage of accidents. "more swannee whistle".
*the bit at the start with footage over-dubbed in various languages.
*the sheer volume of T, A and indeed M.

Recorded over the weekend, Blame it on the Bellboy (1992)

Peak unfunny Dudley Moore? It had enough mild laughs to keep the attention, mostly with Penelope Wilton taking the bad film seriously. It had the vague air of a tax scam - make a film that fails to make just enough money ...

Also
Lindsay Anderson as Mr. Marshall (voice)

unexpected

Bad Ambassador

I did a podcast about the film, and got feedback from the writer/director saying that no one has ever subjected it to that level of scrutiny, possibly including himself.

Blumf

Tried to watch it, gave up almost immediately. Just felt immensely irritating.

At least the director went on to better things.

Last episode of Secret Army Season 2 last night. Or 'Oberleutnant Jelinek has a really shitty morning'.

Made all the better because Oberleutnant Jelinek is played by David 'Roy Cropper' Neilson.

Anyway.

I'd inadvertently spoiled the ending for myself weeks ago. In the end, it was all very neatly underplayed. Clifford Rose excellent. Not entirely sure replacing the Luftwaffe officer with the Demon Headmaster is going to be for the better.

On, in the very wee hours last night, Inseminoid.

daf

Quote from: Blumf on March 24, 2022, 11:49:44 AMSome surprising names turn up in the Adventures... films. What's Jon Pertwee doing there, or Robert Lindsay?

Getting a right eyefull!

Corrrrrr!!!

cosmic-hearse

Documentary about London Ivy League pioneer (and namer of the Harrington jacket) John Simons on right now.
Made by the same people who did the Tubby Hayes film.

kaprisky

That was actually on London Live, not TPTV.

They have also been showing the 1982 Central drama Muck and Brass, starring Mel Smith and featuring Jim Bowen, Paul Shane and Lindsay Duncan amongst others. The second episode had a bit of nudity (topless woman bursts through scale model of a planning development) which somehow escaped uncut on a pre-watershed screening!

kaprisky

The channel have hinted that they have got the Secret Army follow-up series, Kessler, acquired.

London Live have moved onto episode five of Muck and Brass, but in ep four there was a scene where a pub stripper rubbed her breasts up and down the back of one punter's head, and all three screenings, pre and post-watershed, were uncut!

BBC4 have also got something called Rainbow City (1967) coming up on Wed 22nd June. Brum setting, black lawyer with white wife, five of the six episodes survive. Never heard of it.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 10, 2022, 04:55:14 PMpray for Colditz

Ironically just what the pub stripper was trying to avoid.

Norton Canes

Without wanting to burden the forum with a new thread, a quick heads up that That's TV (channel 65 on your dial) are showing back-to-back episodes of The Kenny Everett Video Show this morning - that's the Thames original. Just seen an extraordinary performance by Cliff Richard.

Norton Canes

Expecting a bunch of Movellans to show up in every Hot Gossip routine

kaprisky

As mentioned in the Forces TV thread!

Elvis Costello and The Attractions did Oliver's Army in this morning's first episode and That's TV handled the problematic line by putting a jump cut in, thus: # only takes one itchy trigger/ one more widow, one less white [jump cut]..er/ Oliver's Army is here to stay...#

The episodes are even more cut than the Network DVD so we were denied Bryan Ferry doing a cracking version of What Goes On during yesterday's batch.

They also had Russ Abbot's Madhouse (featuring Chinese stereotypes, Scottish stereotypes, a bizarre classroom sketch, some Teddy Boys, Rod Stewart and Ken Dodd impersonations, plus a Rolf reference, and a musical finale where all the cast sing a verse), the LWT Goodies series, and some Benny Hill innuendo. Brilliant!

Norton Canes

Sorry, don't have Forces TV so wasn't keeping up with the thread

Pranet

yeah it became a sort of what's going on with freeview thread.

Maybe this thread can take over that role. Bit unfair on Talking Pictures but there you go.

I think That's TV is the channel that shows very cheap documentaries about rock and pop groups and personalities seemingly from the original VHS.

Secret Army coming to a close.

Season 1 was excellent, Season 2 built to a good conclusion, found this final season a bit all over the shop. Whole episodes spent chasing V2 sites, an odd compression of time. The episode with the Black Death.

That said, Terence Hardiman and Clifford Rose are always good value.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 03, 2022, 10:26:10 AMWithout wanting to burden the forum with a new thread, a quick heads up that That's TV (channel 65 on your dial) are showing back-to-back episodes of The Kenny Everett Video Show this morning - that's the Thames original. Just seen an extraordinary performance by Cliff Richard.

I have been meaning to start a thread about that on CC, particularly with the amount of Everett fans there. They've been broadcasting his work since before Christmas.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: kaprisky on June 10, 2022, 04:26:22 PMThe channel have hinted that they have got the Secret Army follow-up series, Kessler, acquired...

Starting 17 July.