Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Netflix have commissioned another Gervais standup special:

https://m.facebook.com/rickygervais/posts/802570036534018

Looks like it's one for the STEMlord techbro Atheism Plus Elon Musk-worshipping crowd then, but the most important thing is that Netflix are paying him the same undisclosed but apparently record-breaking number of million dollars for it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1022818792005623809

Thanks for clarifying that, Ricky, we were getting worried for you... Ahead of filming the finished product he's doing a few work-in-progress shows in London in August- and in a great show of respect to his fans he has promised that they'll be "a fucking shambles". I wonder how many grieving parents will walk out this time:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2018/04/20/39738/ricky_gervais_announces_his_first_supernature_gigs

Looks like this will be hitting Netflix before too long, and that it will be even more smug and hateful than Humanity. I can't wait.

up_the_hampipe

The most frustrating thing about Gervais as a stand-up is that he shows flashes of ability to write funny material. His stuff about having a baby and accidentally killing it in Humanity was pretty good, but he'd rather dominate the show shaming stoopid offended or religious folks on his twitter.

Blue Jam

Yes, that "forget the Pampers" bit raised a guilty laugh from me, as did the "Hampstead cunt" stuff and "if God hates gays so much then why did He put the male G-spot up the arse?" The sad thing is that a certain crowd which is pretty big right now will lap up all the stuff about religion and superstition and it's just easier for him to be a crowd-pleaser and get those easy laughs.

That's what stuff like this is designed to do- make people feel smug and clever and superior, and that seems to be enough for Ricky these days, so who cares about raising a few laughs? As someone in the Humanity thread pointed out, that show felt more like an extended TED talk.

It's even lazier than going for shock value- he isn't actually that offensive, and he wouldn't dare go as far as Jerry Sadowitz, or even Frankie Boyle.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 29, 2018, 02:21:47 PM
that show felt more like an extended TED talk.

With all the fuss Hannah Gadsby is getting expect more of these types of comedy shows resembling lectures (even though Gervais' and Gadsbys intentions for doing unfunny comedy shows are different, the end result is still the same - shit comedy), Chris Gethard was another set I saw that was going for the 'this is more than comedy' vibe, which is a similar vibe that Gervais is going for, again, for very different reasons.

Dr Rock

It will be 'things I've ever said on Twitter 2'. Fuck that.

jobotic

Celebrates the conclusion that nature is already super enough"

Yeah I remember reading that in The God Delusion and thinking "yes, obviously" (although I have to admit Dawkins came up with some great examples).

Minds will be blown.

BeardFaceMan

Didnt he say something really earnest about how a religious person will never feel the same sense of wonder he feels when he looks at a tree? I really want to believe he was joking but its exactly the kind of twatty thing he'd say when hes thinking hes being insightful.

TheMonk

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 29, 2018, 02:21:47 PM
Yes, that "forget the Pampers" bit raised a guilty laugh from me, as did the "Hampstead cunt" stuff and "if God hates gays so much then why did He put the male G-spot up the arse?"
I haven't seen his original take, but that last one is the very definition of hack.

Chollis

haha religious people are stupid

phes

Quote from: jobotic on July 29, 2018, 09:46:48 PM
Celebrates the conclusion that nature is already super enough"

Yeah I remember reading that in The God Delusion and thinking "yes, obviously" (although I have to admit Dawkins came up with some great examples).

Minds will be blown.

I'm pretty sure Gervais has lifted the premise from Sagan in Cosmos, but i can't find the quote.

The man is utterly creatively barren. I'm sure if he just let someone else come up with some ideas and do some writing for him he could apply being a relatively funny guy and contribute something worthwhile. Unfortunately his ego wont allow it.

QDRPHNC

Christ, wait till he discovers Marilyn Manson.

Dr Rock

Fewer jokes per minute as he wanks on about how brilliant an obscure sea creature is. And gets it wrong.

Cuellar

Quote from: phes on July 30, 2018, 02:04:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Gervais has lifted the premise from Sagan in Cosmos, but i can't find the quote.

The man is utterly creatively barren. I'm sure if he just let someone else come up with some ideas and do some writing for him he could apply being a relatively funny guy and contribute something worthwhile. Unfortunately his ego wont allow it.

There's also a bit in one of Feynman's books ('Surely you're joking...' maybe), about a time he went to an artist friend to learn how to draw, and the artist claimed Feynman's scientific knowledge of the stuff he was drawing detracted from its beauty, whereas Feynman thought that because he knew about cells and photosynthesis and physics and shit the beauty was enhanced, and greater knowledge of the world could only enhance its beauty. Something in that I suppose.

Blue Jam

He's just rehashing the premise of Richard Dawkins Unweaving The Rainbow...

He's also doing more work-in-progress shows, and being very humble about them so far:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1035194602247147521

Maurice Yeatman

Just when I'd started believing in God again, this guy comes back to put a spanner in the works.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Whatever happened to the Derek Flanimals crossover?

Replies From View

At some point Ricky Gervais' stand-up should surely start to improve?  On a number-of-performances basis he's beginning to reach the point where he's actually had a bit of experience.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 30, 2018, 11:55:36 PM
He's just rehashing the premise of Richard Dawkins Unweaving The Rainbow...

He's also doing more work-in-progress shows, and being very humble about them so far:

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1035194602247147521

Why does he accompany every tweet with a monochrome publicity shot of himself?

bgmnts

I get the feeling Ricky Gervais really really wants to do a TedTalk.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Replies From View on September 02, 2018, 11:08:04 AM
At some point Ricky Gervais' stand-up should surely start to improve?  On a number-of-performances basis he's beginning to reach the point where he's actually had a bit of experience.

He doesn't do stand-up consistently and only performs in front of theatre crowds that already adore him. If anything, he's just going to get worse.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: bgmnts on September 03, 2018, 09:36:16 AM

KevTalk

Cold Meat Platter

He's exactly like a guy I know who reads New Scientist every week in order to parrot a mangled version of the articles to his cretinous friends in order to be "the professor". Just superficial, water-cooler level bollocks with no substance.
In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on September 03, 2018, 09:36:16 AM

He's already doing them, but charging punters 50 quid a seat and selling the film to Netflix.

This evening I saw the play Rain Man with Matthew Horne doing the autistic character. As terrible as that sounds (and was) it still wasn't as bad as Derek.

H-O-W-L

Why doesn't the cunt just do an art installation that's a slideshow of his favourite Sick Twitter Burns with free Buck's Fizz and soft piano music playing over it? He'd make a packet and not have to leave bed. Cunt.