Main Menu

Support CaB

Subscribers don't see this.

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2022, 02:46:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Van Buren Stan

Never really worn a watch but I bought this by accident last week. It's nice and weighty, but I don't like the face much. I wonder why it doesn't have numbers 1-4

Famous Mortimer

That's nice!

I occasionally get targeted watch ads on Instagram, and there was a lovely one today. Nearly three grand! Sort your algorithm out, mate! 100 quid is as much as I can afford on a new watch, tops.

Sherman Krank

I've never really bothered with watches but I inherited one a few years back and continued what I suspect was the long standing family tradition of sticking it in a drawer and forgetting about it. The drawer collapsed the other day due to the weight of all the shite I'd stuck in it and I came across the watch as I was emptying the remnants left in it so I could repair the drawer.

It's an Omega Geneve identical to this one.

An inscription on the back dates it to 1971 and from the small amount of research I've done the bezel* is 9ct gold and the dial colour is known as champagne.
In its current state (ie. a bit tatty and not running) it appears to be worth around £150-250 and tarted up and running somewhere around £400-550 (on ebay at least).
Dealer price seems to be £800-1500 but I'm assuming they leave a fair bit of haggle room.

What I'm wondering is how much it would cost to get it fixed up and running again?
The crystal has a bunch of light scratches on it and looks like it may have gone a bit cloudy. The crown moves but feels a bit 'gunky' though when I pop it out and turn it, both it and the hands move freely.
So does anyone know what kind of price I'd be looking at for a service and new crystal?

* I googled 'names for the parts of a watch'.    

Sherman Krank

Never mind, I did a bit more googling and it seems it'll cost more to get it serviced than it would then be worth so fuck that.

Ferris

Quote from: Sherman Krank on May 02, 2022, 07:45:13 PMNever mind, I did a bit more googling and it seems it'll cost more to get it serviced than it would then be worth so fuck that.

They're a bit like guitars in that a) you don't really need one, b) you definitely don't need more than one, c) collectors get into them because they're just so bloody nice even if it's cheaper not to bother fixing/upgrading them and they probably lose money on them overall.

I've spent a lot on mechanical wrist watches that are realistically worth next to nothing, but I can't help myself. There are a lot more cheap-but-fun pieces out there for watches than guitars though so it'd be difficult to bankrupt myself.

That Omega is like a late '80s USA telecaster in wine red - it's not super sought after, but still a lovely bit of kit and worth a few quid to the right collector, and you stand out as someone who knows your onions (or at least has very specific and not necessarily bad taste) if you decide to keep and wear it. It's not MIM or post '00s Squier at any rate.

Ferris

Just because:

Swatch, Omega Automatic (late 1940s), Raketa Big Zero, Raketa Kopernik (both late '80s), Gruen Curvex (1920s)

Vostok Amphibia (late 1991), F-91w, w-218H, Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk (early 1930s?), Swatch

Realized I was wearing a watch while I took those, so my Casio Duro separately:

There's a few missing (mainly cheapo Casio digital watches including one without a strap because...eh), but nothing I have there is worth more than a few hundred quid really (maybe the Omega), and median is about 40 quid per piece.

There's a Pobeda on its way I'm quite excited about because I can't stop myself with cheap Soviet mechanical wrist watches. That's the last one for now, probably though my dad says he got a great deal on a '60s Speedmaster so I might end up with that which would become the nicest thing I own by a very long way.

Sherman Krank

I suspect if I did wear watches I'd likely have a bunch of them plus all the tools to take them to bits and reassemble them and I'd spend way too much time watching youtube videos of people repairing watches while thinking stuff like 'That's a dumb way to do that'.

Ferris

Quote from: Sherman Krank on May 03, 2022, 01:08:54 AMI suspect if I did wear watches I'd likely have a bunch of them plus all the tools to take them to bits and reassemble them and I'd spend way too much time watching youtube videos of people repairing watches while thinking stuff like 'That's a dumb way to do that'.

Sounds like you're halfway there!

Join us! Join us!