Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quorn & Battery Eggs

Started by MonkeyDrummer, February 23, 2004, 02:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyDrummer

I've heard before that Quorn contained eggs from caged hens, but today i decided to look it up myself and yes it does!!! I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons and this news really fucks me off. Not only do they charge ridiculous prices for their products, but they have the fucking cheek to cut corners and squeeze even more profit out of it's customers. I've got more respect for McDonalds than i do for Quorn now, at least they're honest.

Purple Tentacle

Blimey, what cunts!

I always buy Free Range, but don't have the willpower to avoid anything egg-based for fear of eating battery eggs (I practically eat mayonaisse out of the jar), but you would expect a vegetarian product to use them.....

Not that I ever eat Quorn by the way, I loathe the texture of the stuff. The late Mrs McCartney does me fine.

butnut

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"The late Mrs McCartney does me fine.

You're just asking for a horrible necrophiliac mong now, aren't you?

MonkeyDrummer

exactly. you would expect it too. That's what they rely on. If anyone has any doubts then read what the Vegetarian Socity writes about Mycoprotein. http://www.vegsoc.org/info/soya.html

What next,  news as Linda McCartney's sausages actually contain bits of her.
[/i]

smoker

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"What next,  news as Linda McCartney's sausages actually contain bits of her.[/i]

that's not as far from the truth as you'd hope, yuck

MonkeyDrummer

link, doesn't work.

But is it a link to the scandal that LM's food contained meat? I can remember some form of scandal, but it was ages ago and in those days i was still out in the field murdering cows.

Dusty Gozongas

Best get used to the surprises :)

Having been a vegitarian once over, it became increasingly obvious that you either go the whole hog (no pun intended - I mean vegan) or you get used to the possibility that you'll unintentionally feel like a hypocrite on occasion.  Or just choose meat and be damned.  You're going to hell anyway for eating Quorn in the first place ;)

Here's one though:  why would a vegetarian wish for a foodstuff "simulating meat product structures by binding the mycoprotein cells together with the other ingredients in the recipe [which mimic] the muscle fibre / connective tissue interaction in muscle tissue."? I never understood that sort of thing when I was vegitarian for my own ethical reasons.  It didn't make sense even if the SpagBol was good enough to eat.

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "arqarqa"Best get used to the surprises :)

Having been a vegitarian once over, it became increasingly obvious that you either go the whole hog (no pun intended - I mean vegan) or you get used to the possibility that you'll unintentionally feel like a hypocrite on occasion.  Or just choose meat and be damned.  You're going to hell anyway for eating Quorn in the first place ;)

Here's one though:  why would a vegetarian wish for a foodstuff "simulating meat product structures by binding the mycoprotein cells together with the other ingredients in the recipe [which mimic] the muscle fibre / connective tissue interaction in muscle tissue."? I never understood that sort of thing when I was vegitarian for my own ethical reasons.  It didn't make sense even if the SpagBol was good enough to eat.

This is a question that I usually refuse to answer, on account of it being the most rediculous question ever levelled at a vegetarian (after, Why don't you eat meat???? Do i ask you why you feel the need to rear animals cruelly just to feed your fat face? No, then fuck off). Since you claim(ed) to be veggie, i'll justify your comment with an answer.
I, and most other vegetarians do not eat meat because we disagree with the slaughter of animals for food not cos we don't like the taste of meat.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"I, and most other vegetarians do not eat meat because we disagree with the slaughter of animals for food not cos we don't like the taste of meat.

Speak for yourself Mister.

I've no problem with killing and eating animals, I just think they should be treated humanely.

No tree-hugger me.

smoker

do you eat fish monkey drummer? i've got a mate who's been vegetarian for a few years, but today he surprised me by saying he eats fish all the time because "they're not raised purely to be killed" and they're cold-blooded."

now obviously some fish are farmed purely to be eaten, but i didn't get the cold-blooded part. fish still feel pain don't they? how cann someone justify not eating meat on ethical grounds but still eat fish?

splattermac

heh, rubbish monkey hasn't posted in this thread.

edit: that won't make any sense when/if he edits his post, oh bollocks, why did I bother to post this let alone edit it.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"
I, and most other vegetarians do not eat meat because we disagree with the slaughter of animals for food not cos we don't like the taste of meat.

I know that.

Been there.

[the above remarks weren't  really meant as a cue for an argument]

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "smoker"now obviously some fish are farmed purely to be eaten, but i didn't get the cold-blooded part. fish still feel pain don't they? how cann someone justify not eating meat on ethical grounds but still eat fish?

1) Because they're tasty idiots.
2) Because my dietary habits are no business of anybody else's, I make a point never ever ever to preach to anybody about mine
3) Can you think of a humane way to kill a net-full of prawns? Nope, me neither. Might as well eat them then, since the chance of the fishing industry introducing tiny cotton-buds laced with chloroform to ease the haddock to sleep is slight.

MonkeyDrummer

I aint no rubbish monkey, I play an instrument.

No, I don't eat fish. Just cos they don't have enough facial muscles to display pain, doesn't mean they don't feel it. But I can understand veggies who do eat fish, it's all about how much you can sacrifice, and if someone stops eating all meat and just eats fish then i'd be supportive of that. Wouldn't start questioning their morals though, it's up to the individual.

As arqarqa pointed out the world of vegetarianism is a hot-bed of skewed morals and you'll find very few veggies who don't end up contradicting themselves someway. It's almost impossible. Even Linda McCartney was being fed anti-cancer drugs at the end tested on only the fittest monkey's Paul could find.

Can you please re-post that Linda Macca link. I can't wait to see what else i can't eat

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "arqarqa"

I know that.

Been there.

[the above remarks weren't  really meant as a cue for an argument]

ok. sorry

Purple Tentacle

Is it Gazeuse who can't drink beer because of the monkeyjuices used in the pipes?

Like you say, it's up to the individual to decide where to draw the line. 'Nuff respec' to Gaz and all that, but my line is drawn firmly above not drinking beer.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "smoker"how cann someone justify not eating meat on ethical grounds but still eat fish?

What? Did you never listen to Nirvana?

QuoteIt's okay to eat fish
'cause they don't have any feelings

I'm actually a pescetarian. I've only ever eaten meat on a handful of occasions, for a variety of reasons. Ethical considerations do come into it - I don't have a problem with killing animals to eat, but I think that you should have a degree of respect for them. The main thing for me is how much they fuck with meat nowadays - it's full of shit. Feed the cows growth hormones, and feed the people with the cows. No thanks. Fish and vegetables ain't much better, but meat is the filthiest alright ... mmm MRM burgers ...

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Is it Gazeuse who can't drink beer because of the monkeyjuices used in the pipes?

Like you say, it's up to the individual to decide where to draw the line. 'Nuff respec' to Gaz and all that, but my line is drawn firmly above not drinking beer.

Monkey juices? could you elaborate on this please.

Gazeuse

It's me the vegan.

It has been a pain in the arse over the years when people have gone to the trouble of making me a special Quorn dinner only to find out that its basically scrambled eggs and I can't eat it. Who looks a cunt then??? Me not Mr. Quorn.

The best ever meat substitute I ever had was 'seitan' in a restaurant in Madrid. I'd never heard of it before, but after a bit of pidgin Spanish and arm waving I discovered it was vegan and went for it. Blummin' delicious too...In fact, if it hadn't have been a veggie restaurant I'd have suspectedit was really meat. It's actually made out of gluten, so its no good for celiacs.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"I've heard before that Quorn contained eggs from caged hens, but today i decided to look it up myself and yes it does!!! I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons and this news really fucks me off.
This confused me, because although that used to be the case, I didn't think it was anymore.

Originally when Quorn was launched it used non-free-range powdered egg-white to bind it together, and so the Vegetarian Society refused to endorse it.  This caused consternation at the company, which had spent millions developing the stuff.  Apparently the problem was you can't buy powdered egg-white from non-free-range eggs.  So they went ahead anyway, rather cheekily putting a "V" logo on their packaging that looked somewhat like the official Vegetarian Society one.  I bought it reluctantly, deciding that it was better to offer the company some encouragement, rather than boycotting it entirely, which if everyone did would make the company withdraw the product and probably not try again in the veggy market.

However I thought that more recently they'd started sourcing free-range powdered egg-white and that it was sorted.

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"exactly. you would expect it too. That's what they rely on. If anyone has any doubts then read what the Vegetarian Socity writes about Mycoprotein. http://www.vegsoc.org/info/soya.html
OK, I've read it.  It seems that the truth lies somewhere in-between (emphasis mine):
QuoteA wide range of Quorn ready meals are available including curries, pies, and casseroles, and it may also be purchased as chilled Quorn chunks.  Mycoprotein is potentially a very useful food item for vegetarians.  Since early 2000 the Quorn deli and ingredients ranges have been approved by the Vegetarian Society since the albumin used as a binder in its manufacture has been changed in those ranges from a non free range to a free range egg source. However at present the ranges of ready meals, burgers, sausages etc still use eggs from a non free range source.
So they're halfway there.  Let's hope they change the latter over time.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Is it Gazeuse who can't drink beer because of the monkeyjuices used in the pipes?

It's sturgeons fannybatter actually.

Swimbladder.

It's not kosher either.

MonkeyDrummer

yeah, this splits me and my girlfriend. She claims that it's ok, as they are "promoting vegetarianism. Although the word I'd use would be exploiting.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Gazeuse"
It's sturgeons fannybatter actually.
Swimbladder.
Used as "finings" to make the grot in the brew settle out to the bottom, just to clarify.

Dusty Gozongas

ok. sorry

No need!  :-)

I know that one of the first things that happens when you say "I'm a vegitarian" is that some people are spoiling for an argument.  Whether it's the "beef flavour/flavoured crisps" argument or the "your jaws were made for meat" argument or the wide range of discouraging shite inbetween.

Just do it.  Or be a conversational martyr to your lifestyle.

:-)

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Used as "finings" to make the grot in the brew settle out to the bottom, just to clarify.

Yes...Some beer is OK though because they use other stuff. I only discovered this last year and had my first pint of real ale in 20 years.

mmmmmmm

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"yeah, this splits me and my girlfriend. She claims that it's ok, as they are "promoting vegetarianism. Although the word I'd use would be exploiting.
The trouble is with me is that I can see both sides of the argument.  On one side it's evil mega-corp Rank Hovis McDougall (hiding behind the name "Marlow Foods") just out to screw the consumer as best they can using lies and deviousness; on the other hand if you don't try to give them at least *some* encouragement when they try to break into the veggy market you can't complain when you can't buy ready-made veggy meals in the supermarket.

It's a toughie.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Gazeuse"Yes...Some beer is OK though because they use other stuff. I only discovered this last year and had my first pint of real ale in 20 years.
Oh yes, did you not know??!  Gee, that's an awful long time to go without decent beer just on a point of principle...

Still, at least you haven't been having to drink Hartsman.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Gazeuse"Yes...Some beer is OK though because they use other stuff. I only discovered this last year and had my first pint of real ale in 20 years.
Oh yes, did you not know??!  Gee, that's an awful long time to go without decent beer just on a point of principle...

Still, at least you haven't been having to drink Hartsman.

hehe!!!

Yes, someone told me that real ale was no good when I was at university and I went from a real ale drinker to a (Certain types of) lager and cider drinker overnight. For some reason last year I thought of googling about to see if any vegan real ales were available. My first decent pint in 20 years was a London Pride. Lovely!!!

I only wish that Abbot and Burton were kosher...I'd love to try those again!!!

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"yeah, this splits me and my girlfriend. She claims that it's ok, as they are "promoting vegetarianism. Although the word I'd use would be exploiting.
The trouble is with me is that I can see both sides of the argument.  On one side it's evil mega-corp Rank Hovis McDougall (hiding behind the name "Marlow Foods") just out to screw the consumer as best they can using lies and deviousness; on the other hand if you don't try to give them at least *some* encouragement when they try to break into the veggy market you can't complain when you can't buy ready-made veggy meals in the supermarket.

It's a toughie.

Aye.  it's a fucker.

Let's face it, we're just consumers and we'll have whatever the supermarkets offer our plates.  The foodstuffs we purchase if we choose a vegetarian diet are offered to us by the folk we would like to provide.  Nothing short of goung out and killing yer own vegetables will put this sorry mess to right ;o)

gazzyk1ns

With regards to eggs, does nowhere near you sell them "privately"? I live in Suffolk so it really is farmersville around here, but I would have thought unless you live in a big town/city, you could get them from somewhere "natural" (i.e. a nice little country house who keep chickens)? Everywhere round here is selling duck eggs at the moment too.

WIth beer for vegans, Carlsberg is the safe option, isn't it? I have a vegan freind-of-a-friend and she's always hogging the stuff, most other canned lager has some kind of fish-related product in doesn't it?