Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FUCKDOWN, U.S.A.

Started by Abnormal Palm, April 19, 2020, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Adjacent to the dewormer, there are stories about  semen of the unvaxxed being the next bitcoin.

Fambo Number Mive

How would the semen seller prove that they are unvaccinated?

Dex Sawash

MojoJojo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 24, 2021, 10:35:44 AM
Completely agree.

If your starting point is "the government is out to get me, and will harm me if they can, and they single handedly created vaccines" then cousin Merle's facebook bleatings about horse dewormer seem like radical countercultural truthbombs rather than the wailing of the perma-beleaguered.

I think it's worth noting that anti-vaccine ideas have been around for along time, they haven't just appeared out of a distrust of government during covid. I think one of the reasons the UK has been so trusting of the covid vaccines is because we're sort of in a backlash against the backlash post Andrew Wakefield.

Ferris

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 24, 2021, 12:09:17 PM
I think it's worth noting that anti-vaccine ideas have been around for along time, they haven't just appeared out of a distrust of government during covid. I think one of the reasons the UK has been so trusting of the covid vaccines is because we're sort of in a backlash against the backlash post Andrew Wakefield.

I agree, but the paranoia and knee jerk contrarianism has stepped up a notch and found new targets under trump.

Case in point - how many suddenly anti vaccine "freedom to choose" folks were against the shots for literally anything pre-covid? The idea of "anti vaccine as a quasi mainstream political position" is new, but it's an offshoot from a foundation that is pretty longstanding.

Of course now Pfizer is fully approved by the FDA, I'm sure that will assuage their reasonable concerns.

MojoJojo

I've realised my post sort of supports the incorrect idea that the anti-vax movement started with Andrew Wakefield, when it actually goes back hundreds of years.

One thing that is new with the covid vaccines is that the anti-vax side now seems to be dominated by the right, with q-anon bollocks being a large part of it. Before it straddled both the left and right.

ajsmith2

Trump endorses vaccines at rally, suffers rare bit of blowback in his usual safe space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krahdlo8wY

Ferris

Quote from: ajsmith2 on August 24, 2021, 03:27:59 PM
Trump endorses vaccines at rally, suffers rare bit of blowback in his usual safe space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krahdlo8wY

From earlier in the evening: man who won his election in 2020 and needs votes for 2022 tells crowd to forget about 2020 and vote in 2022.

https://www.newsweek.com/mo-brooks-backpedals-after-trump-rally-goers-boo-him-saying-move-past-2020-election-1621848

evilcommiedictator

It's the same thing as Hydroxychloroquine though, a handful of studies say "might be useful", idiots blow it up, then it's 6 months of <insert your favourite conspiracy here>, without looking at any simple Occham's Razor scenarios:
- If your government is blocking it, why is no other government reporting how well it is doing
- If Allied governments are all blocking it, why is China or other countries like Brazil *cough* showing no deaths after using it
- If Big Pharma is blocking it, they don't make any money from HCL do they?
- If Researchers are blocking it, lol, they have no power you fucking idiot

Dog Botherer

local water park had to shut down as all the kids who work there went back to college/high school and immediately had to quarantine due to mass outbreaks lmao

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Perhaps when it comes to back to school the kids from Republican/MAGA families will be treated like infectious urrrggh cooties skiprats, by the other kids.

Drygate

I'm not into the whole Ivermectin thing but does anyone find it a bit disingenuous that the media only refer to it as animal medication when it is widely prescribed to humans (not for covid obviously).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

It's like with ketamine, when it's called a horse tranquillizer but it's also used as an anesthetic on humans.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/302663#therapeutic-uses

MojoJojo

The people advocating it are buying it in a form for horses, as it doesn't need a prescription. So while the active ingredient may be used in human medicines, they are buying medicines designed for horses. Or horse medicine.

mothman

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 31, 2021, 01:29:30 PM
The people advocating it are buying it in a form for horses, as it doesn't need a prescription. So while the active ingredient may be used in human medicines, they are buying medicines designed for horses. Or horse medicine.

I'm not into the whole Antivaxx thing but does anyone find it a bit disingenuous that Drygate is nitpicking about active ingredients to excuse people taking animal medicines that are unsuitable for humans (thanks Mojo for the excellent riposte).

evilcommiedictator

I'm not advocating it but it's funny that whilst doctors can prescribe it for genuine infestations of worms, they refuse to prescribe it for something entirely unrelated without any peer reviewed evidence to support using it

Ferris

South Dakota governor arrives at freedom rally on horseback carrying an American flag. Auctions an oil painting of herself for charity, defends "do absolutely nothing" covid response, is now considered a front runner for the Republican 2024 presidential nomination.

The mind boggles.

Looks like we're reaching the peak of this wave though? The spike is levelling off from what I can see so the US is giving us a pretty good idea of what "fuck it, let 'er rip!" looks like with ~50% vaccinated population. Pretty bad, basically, but not devastatingly so and the stock market is up so I'm guessing this is the US approach from here on out.

The Dog

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on September 01, 2021, 01:25:08 AM
I'm not advocating it but it's funny that whilst doctors can prescribe it for genuine infestations of worms, they refuse to prescribe it for something entirely unrelated without any peer reviewed evidence to support using it

Shouldn't take anti-worming medicines if you aren't sick because they don't discriminate between the bad worms that cause disease and the good worms that our bodies need. 

Zetetic

I do think the "a horse medicine for the 'ViD?!?!" stuff is fundamentally a bit silly, smacks of magical thinking, and understandably isn't at all convincing for people already led to believe in its efficacy.

Mechanisms for ivermectin action against COVID-19 have been proposed and - to me, a yokel, at least - they're at least as convincing as the proposed mechanism for drugs I take every day, month and year.

(Worth being clear that at least some of those proposed mechanisms fundamentally demand you'd have to be badly poisoning yourself, so this isn't an argument for eating the horse paste.)

Mind you, all the good evidence and reasons that overwhelming point against taking ivermectin don't seem very convincing for the relevant people either, so I probably shouldn't care.

Drygate

So the issue is humans are taking the animal version in the US thinking they're taking the human version that's being used in places like India?

A bit like when people were drinking chlorine/pond cleaner because they thought it was hydroxy chloroquine?

Zetetic

That's not the only issue - the other issue is that ivermectin seems to be utterly ineffective at having any positive impact on someone's COVID-19 infection without being taken in sufficiently massive doses so as to grossly disrupt your own biology.

MojoJojo

I think it's worth bringing attention to the ludicrous situation we're in that people are ending up in hospital after taking a medicine for horses.

It's important context for people who say things like "there's no real evidence yet but there are some studies underway which are promising".

It's not going to convince anyone who believes in it, but then I'm not sure anything will. But it's still important to point out how wrong these ideas are.

MojoJojo

It's worth considering how the brand name/generic medicine situation the pharmaceutical industry has created has trained people to think that the horse medicine might be true. Doctors will tell you that ibuprofen is the same as nurofen despite costing a third as much - you just need the magic of knowing what the active ingredient is.

Rev+

This hasn't come completely out of the blue.  Certain people have been taking antibiotics intended for fish for years, because nipping down the pet shop is cheaper than getting an appointment and prescription from the doctor.  Also there's apricot stones as a treatment for cancer, which does have a certain amount of logic to it, because if you ingest enough cyanide the cancer probably won't kill you.

Drygate

Good point. If you're used to looking for cheaper was to get medication, taking horse pills might not seem such a huge leap. Some people eat dog food as its cheaper...

As I said, I don't care about ivermectin either way but I just searched about it and whether it works or not and found this page:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8088823/

that said:

QuoteMeta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 have found large, statistically significant reductions in mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance. Furthermore, results from numerous controlled prophylaxis trials report significantly reduced risks of contracting COVID-19 with the regular use of ivermectin. Finally, the many examples of ivermectin distribution campaigns leading to rapid population-wide decreases in morbidity and mortality indicate that an oral agent effective in all phases of COVID-19 has been identified.

That site looks legit to my untrained eye and the conclusion sounds pretty good so I can understand why some people might decide to take it.

I don't feel bad posting that link here as no one here is going to be swayed by one link. Obviously I wouldn't share it on social media where it could irresponsibly be seen by someone that would be tempted to take it.

But stuff like that makes it easier for me to understand why someone might think taking it would help. But also I'm not sure banning that site is the way to go as censorship isn't always a great idea.

The Dog

Invermectron is not a HORSE medicine. It is NO USE AT ALL if you are suffering from horses.

Dex Sawash

Get on the ivermectins ASAP you big wally

Dex Sawash

Should be Waldo in the USA thread I reckon

Dog Botherer

Quote from: JamesTC on August 23, 2021, 06:24:43 PM
Disappointed that only a few people have been convinced to drink their own piss by that sort of misinformation. Sure using horse and cow dewormer is funny but it isn't drinking piss funny.

JamesTC

And Jesus said to his disciples, "drinketh thy piss... it'll be a laugh"

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JamesTC on September 01, 2021, 11:18:15 PM
And Jesus said to his disciples, "drinketh thy piss... it'll be a laugh"

"For truly it is my blood"

"Should get that seen to JC"