Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)

Started by Malcy, May 15, 2020, 04:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemming

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 09, 2021, 06:30:02 PM
No trailer is perfect, gave me time to finish my Strange New Worlds Bingo Card before the trailer spoiled some of them for me:

Everyone should make their own.

Taking the piss but I'd actually eat most of this shit up. I'd even like to see Burnham mentioned at least once or twice - "I am going through the time hole so you may never speak of me again, and that's why nobody will ever mention me after this point" is such an awful explanation as to why we never knew Spock had a sister before now.

mothman

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 09, 2021, 10:15:43 PM
They'd have to resist having that episode cos he's still a science officer under Kirk's command in "Where no Man Has Gone Before." Kelso is the helmsman and Mitchell is the navigator.

Well actually no, they don't have to resist it, they just not give a shit about that. But he's supposed to be in Astrosciences at the start of Kirk's tenure anyway.

Couldn't remember which pilot he was in! Seriously though, I'm hoping that the stand-alone no-particularly-significant- arc format will be the show's strength and the fan service will be kept to a minimum. Well I can dream anyway...

Someone on Twitter said the Chapel character should be played by Romijn as well, in a blonde wig. I think it'd be a terrific idea. Maybe a running gag that nobody (human) thinks they look similar, apart from aliens who then get called racist for thinking we all look alike.

jamiefairlie

No José Tyler? Fuck it then!

Seriously though, ever since I saw The Menagerie this era has held a fascination for me so I hope they don't mess it up too much. Let's hope they aim to create the very problems that got the original pilot canned, "too cerebral", "too intellectual", and "too slow" with "not enough action". That would do for me.

Oh and get those v-necks tae fuck too, roll-necks it has to be.

Mobbd

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 09:48:51 PM
They could make at least one season of fun adventures

Quote from: mothman on September 09, 2021, 10:57:51 PM
I'm hoping that the stand-alone no-particularly-significant- arc format will be the show's strength and the fan service will be kept to a minimum. Well I can dream anyway...

I would seriously consider giving up a testicle or a kidney for that. Just give us one new season of fun adventures. Please!

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 09:58:39 PM
Because at this point they're trying to target fans of the existing franchise.

You could be right about that. The range of time periods and genres of the five[nb]it's six if you count Section 31 but that looks like a pre-production situation and will hopefully be dumped[/nb] currently-in-production shows clearly demonstrate a cynical/clever attempt to capture multiple markets. Actual Star Trek fans would be a market with a big circle around it on someone's whiteboard. Dare we hope for a bijou little series just for the Trekkies? Maybe! But I advise against hope. Because Akiva Goldsman.

mothman

I'm torn. On the one hand it'll be a television show starring a middle-aged Malaysian woman, and if that doesn't represent perfectly what Trek is about (and therefore piss off all these twats claiming to be fans, whose own idea of Trek appears to be heroic white men killing aliens representing obvious racial stereotypes) then I don't know what does.

But on the other, I hate the idea of a Section 31 show. Maybe I'm being blinkered and unimaginative. There are ways it could possibly work - the idea that this is the price of living in a post-scarcity paradise, there have to be people to get their hands dirty. But I doubt Roddenberry would have approved, and I can see certain drawbacks myself - you're basically saying that for US to be safe, we need to throw THEM under the bus. Though the them in this case are, notionally at least, an active threat to us, seeking to destroy the Federation for their own territorial/strategic/etc. gain.

olliebean

Is the trailer available to watch anywhere (in the UK)? I looked on YouTube but couldn't find any version of it without some twat talking over it all the way through.

mothman

There's no trailer as such, just a cast intro video. And it's on Twitter certainly. Try TrekMovie or TrekCore perhaps? They often dual-post trailers, the branded-to-fuck region-locked Paramount+ one (because heaven forbid subhuman scum not from God's Own Country get to see promotional material for a show they'll end up watching but on a different network) and an international version.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: mothman on September 10, 2021, 10:00:19 AM
I'm torn. On the one hand it'll be a television show starring a middle-aged Malaysian woman, and if that doesn't represent perfectly what Trek is about (and therefore piss off all these twats claiming to be fans, whose own idea of Trek appears to be heroic white men killing aliens representing obvious racial stereotypes) then I don't know what does.

But on the other, I hate the idea of a Section 31 show. Maybe I'm being blinkered and unimaginative. There are ways it could possibly work - the idea that this is the price of living in a post-scarcity paradise, there have to be people to get their hands dirty. But I doubt Roddenberry would have approved, and I can see certain drawbacks myself - you're basically saying that for US to be safe, we need to throw THEM under the bus. Though the them in this case are, notionally at least, an active threat to us, seeking to destroy the Federation for their own territorial/strategic/etc. gain.

Yeah I agree with all this. For me Section 31 is the worst narrative element ever introduced into Star Trek, and it's one of the reasons I don't rate DS9 as highly as many people do.

As for the new show - it's cool that they cast a blind guy as the new Aenar character.

greenman

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on September 10, 2021, 11:19:19 AM
Yeah I agree with all this. For me Section 31 is the worst narrative element ever introduced into Star Trek, and it's one of the reasons I don't rate DS9 as highly as many people do.

As for the new show - it's cool that they cast a blind guy as the new Aenar character.

The DS9 section 31 was at least shown in a negative light though, ultimately defeating the realpolitik dirty trick genocide of Sloan was how the war was ended.

I'm guessing this new series though is going to show it as heroic and ultimately necessary.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 09, 2021, 06:34:43 PM
I would love to know what you people want, honestly.

HBO levels of nudity and swearing, ideally

Mobbd

Quote from: mothman on September 10, 2021, 10:00:19 AM

Michelle Yeoh is pretty boss and deserves success but (a) she already has it, and (b) she's the one who said "like an AI sausage."

I dunno, guys. Section 31 was just one of those things mentioned in DS9 to flesh out the universe, you know? Just as the Mirror Universe was was just one of those "doubling" techniques like Rugged Island to tell us more, through contrast, about our main guys. Neither needs to have a whole series about it.

In the 1990s, an idea like Section 31 could give us a couple of good episodes and a bit of intrigue because we had a writers' room capable of generating so many other good ideas to get on with: today we seize upon a single old idea for an entire series.

You'll note that these Discovery spin-offs aren't about Kelpians or the Spore Drive or that robot woman who sits on the bridge; only Classic Trek cultural capital will do. This is because we don't have proper writers behind these shows, we have asset strippers.[nb]https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,82492.msg4427565.html#msg4427565[/nb] Temporal Investigations will be next. Or Gary Seven or something.

Incidentally, the idea that a Section 31 series would contrast or the 'face behind the mask' of our utopia would make more sense and work better if PIC and DIS hadn't already retconned (okay, eroded/softened) the idea that our Prime timeline is a utopia. It's already horrible.

And there's this somewhat nitpicky but true point from Ex Astris Scientia:

QuoteIn the 22nd and in the 24th century, Section 31 is a secret organization that almost no one is aware of, except perhaps high-ranking officers. In Discovery, Section 31 is commonly known, operates ships and has agents who are easily recognizable because of their black badges. Unlike the AI "Control", Section 31 itself will not be abolished or even denied, as becomes clear when Tyler is put in charge at the end of DIS: "Such Sweet Sorrow II". So how could the existence of Section 31 become a secret again?

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on September 10, 2021, 11:19:19 AM

I thought so too, tbh. I actually went "ooh!" when I read it.

mothman

https://twitter.com/startrekonpplus/status/1447653230629081097

Season 1 has wrapped. I like Anson Mount, he seems a good egg. He's always quick to credit the fans for receiving his stint on DSC so warmly, and for SNW existing at all. Though if it sucks, I guess we'll only gave ourselves to blame!

Malcy

MojoJojo

Quote from: greenman on September 10, 2021, 11:26:05 AM
The DS9 section 31 was at least shown in a negative light though, ultimately defeating the realpolitik dirty trick genocide of Sloan was how the war was ended.

Not really though, since the cure for the biological weapon section 31 had developed was the main leverage used to get peace. The federation would have been fucked if section 31 hadn't been doing their cunt thing.

I don't like the way DS9 ended.

You could potentially do a section 31 show where they are doing good things behind the scenes. Seems unlikely thats the plan considering Picard.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They're remastering DS9 apparently. New scans from the original negatives and upscaled SFX through the use of AI/machine learning. It will be much less expensive than for TNG and VOY could follow.

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/exclusives/star-trek-deep-space-nine-remaster/?amp

Malcy

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on October 12, 2021, 10:34:23 AM
They're remastering DS9 apparently. New scans from the original negatives and upscaled SFX through the use of AI/machine learning. It will be much less expensive than for TNG and VOY could follow.

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/exclusives/star-trek-deep-space-nine-remaster/?amp

There's a fan made A.I. knocking around as well. Keep meaning to have a look at it. I'm sure I read about it on here.

Alberon

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

With all the CGI and the underperformance of the TNG remaster this is the best we could hope for. Could end up looking really good though.

EDIT: Hold on. This is a single report from March of this year. Has it been reported anywhere else?

Mr Trumpet

Rewatched some of the big battle episodes of DS9 recently and it's quite funny how all the ships in the background just sit there doing nothing while the Defiant is whizzing around zapping the Dominion. I suppose that was a limitation of the old technology they were using to render the scenes.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Alberon on October 12, 2021, 03:22:01 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

With all the CGI and the underperformance of the TNG remaster this is the best we could hope for. Could end up looking really good though.

EDIT: Hold on. This is a single report from March of this year. Has it been reported anywhere else?

This site seems to be the exclusive source for this report, but the companies that are named in it (not just CBS Studios, Secret Hideout and FX3X too) haven't released any denial about it, while they were certainly contacted by fans after this was posted.

I guess that nothing is confirmed at this point. Maybe they're just checking if it's feasible with this new technology for much cheaper than the work on TNG. Maybe they don't want to make an announcement before they can tell about a release date. Maybe there's some issue with the Netflix deal, as CBS Studios may be tempted to make it a Paramount+ exclusive, etc.

JamesTC

Went on the Blu-Ray.com forum and apparently this site is known as a clickbait bullshit merchant.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Wow... Sorry for sharing this, in that case.

mothman

Don't worry about it. It happens every so often. I'd probably have been taken in if I'd been more into DS9, but it's possibly the show I'm least bothered about.

In hindsight of course I can think, well, I Follow several accounts on Twitter who'd have been all over this news, but none of them mentioned it at all...

Mobbd

I am feeling cautiously optimistic about Strange New Worlds. Will I never learn?

What I like the sound of:

- it is said to be episodic;
- it has series character arcs but contained episode stories;
- it's being described as an 'adventure show';
- it will have a moral component, a "sugared pill" like old Twilight Zones;
- Nurse Chapel and Number One are played by different actors and will be able to interact for the first time!
- Dr. M'Benga;
- an alien crewman that is recognizably Star Trek but actually kinda new/untrodden (he's a subspecies of Andorian);
- a general 'ensemble cast' feel.

I like the casting, especially the vibe I'm getting from the adorable actor playing Cadet Urhura. More generally, the casting looks to be diverse (but effortlessly so, without beating you over the head with it and inauthentically saying "old Trek never did this!" when it famously did).

The sets give me hope in that they've found an inventive medium between being plausibly of the TOS-era without looking like cardboard (a bit like they managed with Enterprise but didn't try to achieve on Discovery); this suggests they've tried to do the right thing aesthetically.

Anson Mount described the Captain's quarters as 'sexy' and with 'mid-century look', suggesting a nice '60s style to some of the sets. I approve of this.

I've seen some 'augmented reality' sound stages for alien planets that have TOS/TNG vibes. https://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/dsc-arwall-1-640x416.jpg

Look, all of this could be lies and bullshit to benefit from fan-generated buzz like what happened most unforgivably with Picard ("it's a thoughtful character study!") and Into Darkness ("he's not Kahn!") but the set photos and early clips seem to back up the line from production.

Possible Alarm bells:

- a main character called La'an Noonien-Singh - that can't be good, can it? I don't mind a baked-in plot window into possible Eugenics Wars-type stuff but I'm not sure about new Trek's obsession with Kahn and also how her name is unamusingly like "Joan-Luke Picard"or something.

- Akiva Goldsman, writer of Batman and Robin and The Dark Tower is in charge. BUT when I saw the "Star Trek Day" SNW panel, he was the most intelligent-sounding one on the stage and not particularly unimpressive so who knows?

Any thoughts on this and on anything else you've seen/heard about SNW?

Malcy

Picard coming March 3rd, Discovery renewed for a fifth series, Lower Decks some time in the summer and also renewed and the second lot of Prodigy episodes later in the year

mothman

You'd think they'd use a picture of Pike in the new uniform they're using, the one with the almost comical-looking v-neck...

Quote- Star Trek: Picard season two will premiere on March 3; new episodes of the 10-episode season will drop each Thursday.
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season one will premiere on May 5;  new episodes of the 10-episode season will drop each Thursday.
- Star Trek: Lower Decks season three will return this summer for a 10-episode season.
- Star Trek: Prodigy season one (part two) will be available later in 2022 with 10 more episodes.

There will be some overlap with the final three episodes of Discovery season four arriving the same day as the first three episodes of Picard season two. And assuming no more hiatuses in 2022, the Picard season two finale falls on the same day as the Strange New Worlds Premiere, May 5, 2022. And as the previous two seasons of Lower Decks debuted in August, so August 2022 would be a reasonable guess for season three.

Doing the maths, it looks like 2022 could have up to 51 total episodes of Star Trek (if all 10 of the second half of Prodigy's first season arrive in 2022). This makes 2022 the first year fulfilling the stated goal of year-round Star Trek on Paramount+.  And 2023 could be even bigger, with orders for additional seasons of all five series.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/01/18/star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-season-5-premiere-dates-announced-for-picard-and-strange-new-worlds/

Malcy

QuoteSTAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series will feature fan favorites from season two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the years before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

La'an Noonien Singh is definitely related to Khan.

Quote"She's related to Khan, for sure, and the deal will unfold," says Goldsman on La'an Noonien Singh

https://trekmovie.com/2022/02/01/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-teaser-poster-and-details-revealed/

High hopes, but know to know better...

Alberon

What's the point of that? The Khan business can't properly pay off until the TOS episode. Unless she's secretly enhanced, but if so why run around with the Noonien Singh name?

Mobbd

Small thing but, um, he didn't "man" the "helm" did he?

The cowboy on the poster is a bit literal, no? But at least they're thinking in terms of the final frontier now.

The Enterprise in an atmosphere? Urgh. Okay, artistic license I guess.

Singh is a real alarm bell for me.

But I still hold on hope. Probably because I am stupid. But we shall see!