Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Why all the gnashing of teeth over how much we talk about him? He used to be one of the biggest names in UK comedy, instrumental parts of some of CaB's best-loved shows, and he's trashed his career and his family because he's incapable of not being a bastard on Twitter. No surprise we have hundreds of pages devoted to him.

(Not picking on you specifically, Polymorphia, I've just noticed it in this thread more than others).

koeman

Quote from: Polymorphia on June 20, 2020, 03:13:09 PM
This thread has truly been one cavalcade of shit after another, and the JK Rowling situation certainly hasn't helped in any degree. I don't even know if the next thread could be the last, unless he's banned from Twitter. Truly an unwise gamble for me to make

I missed a word out of my post. Give the cheque to someone more worthy.

idunnosomename

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM
Why all the gnashing of teeth over how much we talk about him? He used to be one of the biggest names in UK comedy, instrumental parts of some of CaB's best-loved shows, and he's trashed his career and his family because he's incapable of not being a bastard on Twitter. No surprise we have hundreds of pages devoted to him.

(Not picking on you specifically, Polymorphia, I've just noticed it in this thread more than others).
i mean I also think it's important how making fun of his racecar bed and carbonara kits contributes towards the discussion of the insidious pushback on the human rights of transpeople by certain parts of the media, dodgy astroturf groups like the LGB Alliance and the current governments here and abroad.

Thanks, Graham! You make us laugh AND help transrights! Hooray!

bgmnts

I think one could argue its drawing attention to a sick, sick man going through a breakdown, maybe revelling in it? Unsure really.

iamcoop

Quote from: bgmnts on June 20, 2020, 04:11:31 PM
I think one could argue its drawing attention to a sick, sick man going through a breakdown, maybe revelling in it? Unsure really.

I think if that person spends pretty much the whole of their existence bullying, berating and randomly targeting anybody that either disagrees with them or simply doesn't engage in their confrontational approaches on a public forum such as twitter then it's more than fair to discuss that  behaviour here, even more so given they used to be a lauded comedy writer.

The discussions about his wife or his family life on this thread I can do without and find distasteful to be honest. No matter how much hate he spouts.

popcorn

It's certainly no surprise he gets so much attention here, for the reasons you give. Whether it's good or healthy that we're so fascinated is a slightly different question. I posted this (source) 100 pages ago:

Quote from: popcorn on May 12, 2020, 11:54:42 AM

The online bickering and grotty middle-aged Britishness of it all. Truly, a mirror.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: popcorn on June 20, 2020, 06:58:51 PM
The online bickering and grotty middle-aged Britishness of it all. Truly, a mirror.

Maybe even a Black Mirror

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm not surprised it has become even more neurotic to a 'can't look away' level since lockdown because people have more time on their hands now and it is an even which seems to be in flux, has stakes and could go either way. That's interesting, but I think being more objective, the issue/event isn't so interesting it warrants a 'Live Text Updates' level of input on his every movement, whether he wrote comedies in the 90s or not. It is worth consciously stepping back and asking if the priapism over this is healthy.

If it was so normal to produce hundreds of pages about 1 individual involved in comedy in just a few months there would probably be several equatable examples.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 20, 2020, 03:57:46 PM
i mean I also think it's important how making fun of his racecar bed and carbonara kits contributes towards the discussion of the insidious pushback on the human rights of transpeople by certain parts of the media, dodgy astroturf groups like the LGB Alliance and the current governments here and abroad.

Genuinely interested to know how many here became a bit clued-up on trans rights as a result of Glinner's activity? I've said before when I first started being active and less lurky that I was pleasantly surprised at the pretty positive attitudes towards trans people here.

Shoulders is probably right about the level of interest, but if it's in-fact been educating then it's been worth it.

Barry Admin

Barry Admin

Seriously, why can't we just have actual discussions on here now, without threads being constantly derailed by people who have limited (or no) interest in the main topic, who just sit around waiting for a chance to drag it all off topic and subject us to the exact same repetitive meta discussions?

Danger Man

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 21, 2020, 12:41:45 AM
Seriously, why can't we just have actual discussions on here now

Well, one reason might be ...oh forget it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2020, 12:03:46 AM
If it was so normal to produce hundreds of pages about 1 individual involved in comedy in just a few months there would probably be several equatable examples.

Can you think of an equitable individual?

Thursday

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 21, 2020, 12:41:45 AM
Seriously, why can't we just have actual discussions on here now, without threads being constantly derailed by people who have limited (or no) interest in the main topic, who just sit around waiting for a chance to drag it all off topic and subject us to the exact same repetitive meta discussions?

Can you keep your posts complaining about people dragging threads off topic into meta-discussions to another thread please?

Barry Admin

:-). But do you see me going into, for instance, the thread about beer, and trying to irritate everyone there by pointing out that it's probably not remotely healthy to want to discuss alcohol every single day, over the course of hundreds of posts? Or pointing out that people who are incredibly obsessed with alcohol are boring and abnormal and should consider talking about my interests instead?

No, I'm not interested so I leave people to it.

So to clarify: that's the shit I really object to. The backseat moderators who feel compelled to come in every 20 pages and shit all over the discussion just to be annoying, and try to turn the focus round to them instead.

sambwel

Quote from: popcorn on June 20, 2020, 06:58:51 PM
Whether it's good or healthy that we're so fascinated is a slightly different question. I posted this (source) 100 pages ago:
Quote from: popcorn on May 12, 2020, 11:54:42 AM

I don't think that's really relevant, for a lot of reasons, but I'll boil it down to two:

The first is that we are not "A-Logging". We're not trolling Glinner or encouraging others to do so. He is behaving this way of his own accord. We are observing from a distance and talking amongst ourselves.

The second is that we are not actually "cringing". To cringe is to identify with the subject and feel revulsion at the aspects of yourself that you see in them. The closest anyone here comes to identification with Glinner is having been a fan of his work at some point. Any schadenfreude expressed in this thread is born of anger at the genuine harm he's constantly doing his best to inflict on people much less fortunate than him. And regardless of his much-speculated-on mental state, it's nothing like bullying some poor autistic nerd because they remind us that we're not getting laid because we too have Sonic the Hedgehog posters on our walls or whatever.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea this berk and the whole gang of terf berks are interesting,  both in terms of the changes in trans rights in the public sphere, and in terms of twitter boomers radicalising themselves on the Internet. I don't think that contrapoints bit applies here

markburgle

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 21, 2020, 12:23:18 AM
Genuinely interested to know how many here became a bit clued-up on trans rights as a result of Glinner's activity?

There were several people who said exactly that a few pages back and I'd add myself to that list. While I used to have, as someone else said, a "live and let live" attitude for the most part, my tendency of impatience/irritablity towards some social-justice related things did extend towards people declaring themselves non-binary (thankfully something I kept to myself).

I used to see the "GL is a transphobe" thread title and assume it was probably fuss over nothing, but after reading it I'm much less of an ignorant arse (I found JK's piece and the dissections of it v. helpful in this regard, being one of those who failed to spot a lot of the dodgy stuff in it).

I'm really grateful for the education actually

bushwick

I would agree that GL's descent has been educational for anyone watching it - the levels of obsession/madness on show are not a good advertisement for his cause. Combined with good people like Contrapoints, Paris Lees etc having more of a voice and the increasing likelihood that you may know someone who's trans or NB as folk hopefully become more comfortable to be their real selves etc. I know a fair few people who have become more clued up on trans/NB rights as a result of looking into glinner's hysteria.

C_Larence

Quote from: Polymorphia on May 11, 2020, 11:07:16 PM
If this is not the last thread, I will give someone 200 pounds in cash. Or a cheque for 230.
An Alan Partridge reference I admit, but the last thread lasted 3 months, and there's no chance at this point he can go another 3 months, so I am genuine with this...

Actually, I'm tempted to rescind that offer, since looking at him he might well go on forever, and I can't afford the bet...

I'd like to claim this please

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 21, 2020, 12:23:18 AM
Genuinely interested to know how many here became a bit clued-up on trans rights as a result of Glinner's activity? I've said before when I first started being active and less lurky that I was pleasantly surprised at the pretty positive attitudes towards trans people here.

Shoulders is probably right about the level of interest, but if it's in-fact been educating then it's been worth it.

It definitely made me read up on it more to try to have a better understanding of the issues, although even without doing that you can immediately see what a bunch of disingenuous wankers they are just from the tactics they deploy.

Think the first time I was made aware of TERF culture was watching Transparent though.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 21, 2020, 02:10:24 AM
:-). But do you see me going into, for instance, the thread about beer, and trying to irritate everyone there by pointing out that it's probably not remotely healthy to want to discuss alcohol every single day, over the course of hundreds of posts? Or pointing out that people who are incredibly obsessed with alcohol are boring and abnormal and should consider talking about my interests instead?

No, I'm not interested so I leave people to it.

So to clarify: that's the shit I really object to. The backseat moderators who feel compelled to come in every 20 pages and shit all over the discussion just to be annoying, and try to turn the focus round to them instead.

i dunno, i'm an avid reader of this thread, but i think he has a point.  sometimes it's healthy to have someone say "what're you up to lads??", even if you disagree.  i mean, you do get backseat moderators on here at times, full on UM CAN YOU STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS?? BORING!!, but this ain't it.  with respect, like.

Barry Admin

An "avid reader" yet you don't recall all the other times he's shat on the thread to get a rise out of people?

First example that comes up in Google:

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 25, 2019, 09:52:57 AM
Still trying to work out why anyone gives a shit at this point what one middle aged has been writer thinks about trans issues and mental health beyond simply "hmm, oh dear " and moving on.

Surely the disappointment of learning that he doesn't harbour the same opinions and argues like a tosser when confronted should have receded several years ago

The same people who tell CaB members not to feed trolls are the first ones to give them attention via twitter.

Split all this off now, and will be doing the same with any further attempts at derailment.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Nout wrong with a bit of self-reflection. Unless it's just telling others to (in Glinner's words) "Shut UP, Fuck OFF"

QDRPHNC

Quote from: markburgle on June 21, 2020, 10:02:24 AM
While I used to have, as someone else said, a "live and let live" attitude for the most part [...] I'm really grateful for the education actually

Yeah, I'd say I was in the same boat. Following the Glinner saga has made some abstract thing on the edge of my consciousness much more concrete and relatable.

Zetetic

Quote from: sambwel on June 21, 2020, 04:12:10 AM
The closest anyone here comes to identification with Glinner is having been a fan of his work at some point.
I posted a thread called going a bit glinner.

Not about becoming a transphobe, but something in the pattern of probably-counterproductive outrage.

QuoteThe first is that we are not "A-Logging".
I think that's irrelevant to the analysis of cringing.

Ornlu

The fact this thread exists is embarrassing. It's probably given Graham a right old chuckle.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ornlu on June 21, 2020, 05:44:18 PM
The fact this thread exists is embarrassing. It's probably given Graham a right old chuckle.

i doubt it