Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: MoreauVasz on June 30, 2021, 08:20:19 AM
Another Glinner thread?

Why not just create a new sub-forum devoted to him and have done with it.

It's not actually about Glinner, it's about pushy posters dragging discussions off topic with the exact same objections that have already been made tons of times.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteI think Glinner has been a fascinating case study for various reasons, but the idea that we should have more threads or even a pinned topic simply to highlight and repost hateful crap against trans people is almost as bananas as the big man himself.

This. Exactly this.

Barry, you've just said yourself that it's not just about Glinner. I accept that. But with multiple threads all on the same topic and every one bearing his name, it seems to have become more about madhair seeing how witty he can be. In some ways, to me at least, it feels a bit like trivialising the issue.

Why not just consolidate this all into one mega-thread, with a less Glinner-centric title?

Barry Admin

I don't want to, and see no reason for it.

madhair's titles are great, and his summary is ace too; I'd like us to try and flesh that out a bit with stuff like the Glinner cake, and #glinnerisanally or the time he invited JK Rowling to make a last-minute appearance on his YouTube podcast, then said she hadn't turned up because "she's probably out doing her Xmas shopping."

Barry Admin

It's actually weird how people outside this site enjoy the threads a lot more than a lot of the regulars here: https://mobile.twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1385166612924350466

Joss promoted it again a week or two ago, and Katy Motgomerie retweeted it, so some of the most effective and brilliant trans activists actually seem to enjoy the threads for what they are, rather than seeing them as "trivialising the issue."

Janie Jones

Do you all think this is helping? Do you think this is helping trans people feel safer, this obsessing over Glinner's skin/clothing/eyes/tremor etc?

canadagoose

Quote from: Janie Jones on July 23, 2021, 12:34:12 AM
Do you all think this is helping? Do you think this is helping trans people feel safer, this obsessing over Glinner's skin/clothing/eyes/tremor etc?
It's funny, at least.

idunnosomename

also increasing awareness of phimosis

edit lmao just realised that's my post

Sebastian Cobb

Ferris

Counterpoint - is it harming trans people?

I'm not following the main thread because I just don't care what the loopy old cunt is up to, but I don't think having a pop at him for his mad hair or whatever is a particularly toxic thing to do. You could even argue it is apposite considering people's appearances are what he bases a lot of his important journalism on.

chveik

i really want to say yes

Barry Admin

That's a lofty standard to hold a comedy discussion forum to...

To my great surprise tho, it seems it might be?

Quote from: https://mobile.twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1404752349281800194A fair, and reserved, reminder/introduction to whats happened to Graham Linehan.

Rather than regurgitate his drivel on here... he would really hate it if people saw a whole forum having an actual laugh and indulging in comedy, at his expense...

https://cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/inde...

Catalogue Trousers

Another thread started in CC. Ding ding! Round 11 for the two Ahabs.

chveik

i bet there would be some whining too if there were multiple threads about terf shit.

Thursday

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 07, 2021, 07:47:08 AM
Another thread started in CC. Ding ding! Round 11 for the two Ahabs.

You see what happens is, when a thread approaches 100 pages, a new thread is started because longer threads can cause issues with the site. Hope that clears things up.

Kankurette

Quote from: chveik on August 07, 2021, 11:50:20 AM
i bet there would be some whining too if there were multiple threads about terf shit.
At least all the TERF shit can be contained in the Glinner threads.

chveik

idunnosomename

Why isn't there a J.K. Rowling thread anymore? Pure misogyny, that's why.

pigamus

Does he actually call her that or does he call her Joanne? I bet he calls her Joanne.

FredNurke

It doesn't really matter what he calls her; she isn't going to answer.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteYou see what happens is, when a thread approaches 100 pages, a new thread is started because longer threads can cause issues with the site. Hope that clears things up.

You see what happens is, when 9 threads already have approached 100 pages, maybe some people are getting alarmingly obsessive over the subject and need to stop being quite so fanatical. Hope that clears things up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 07, 2021, 04:38:35 PM
You see what happens is, when 9 threads already have approached 100 pages, maybe some people are getting alarmingly obsessive over the subject and need to stop being quite so fanatical. Hope that clears things up.

I guess some people might call me fanatical about subjects such as the Labour Party, cricket, beer, ambient music, pubs. Who arbitrates obsession, as such? When it comes to topics of forum discussion, anyway...

I don't see an actual obsessive such as FORMER BALD POSTER DIGESTIVE TRACT PROBLEMS who posted 1 in every 4 posts on Brexit threads also lasting literally years.

madhair60

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 07, 2021, 04:38:35 PMYou see what happens is, when 9 threads already have approached 100 pages, maybe some people are getting alarmingly obsessive over the subject and need to stop being quite so fanatical. Hope that clears things up.

nah it's good

phes

Yeh it's fascinating, and it's the horrible gift that just keeps giving. If Linehan was going in circles it would be dead as a doornail by now. See the collapse in interest in Gervais.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 07, 2021, 04:38:35 PM
Meh, maybe. I've had Glinner invade my dreams twice since I started reading the threads but I can't stay away. Perhaps it's our own shitty form of "activism", pointing at this one arsehole and going oh my god look what he's done now, in lieu of something more constructive. But on the other hand, maybe it would be worse to just not talk about blue tick transphobia and pretend it doesn't exist, which is a luxury cis people have.

Goldentony

I think grimacing at the idea of the thread every few months, hunched over like Magnus Ver Magnusson lifting an Atlas Stone, has achieved loads. Moreso than scientists doctors architects poets etc could ever hope.