Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

Well, it's become patently clear that this thread is a good place for people like me to just let off a little steam every now and then. You know what? I think that Glinner's an appalling bigot too. Only a moron wouldn't.

Just feel that excessive frothing is taking place over a mole hill that's been made into a mountain. Oh, and that some people are becoming almost as pettily destructive as he is. But that's just my opinion. Yours may differ.

Or maybe I'm just fed up of seeing thread after thread on such a limited subject. Or a combination of the above.

Kankurette

It's not just about him though, it's become a general thread about the TERF movement in the UK.

Flouncer

Yeah, if it was purely about Glinner I might agree that it was a bit morbid, but it's a lot more wide-ranging than that. I think the best thing about that thread is that there are several trans posters who regularly post in there - it gives them an opportunity to vent and say their piece in a safe, supportive environment, and we get the benefit of being able to read their perspectives (which are often really insightful and an engaging read).

In the past I've had to give the thread a swerve for a while because it can get a bit depressing reading all the hateful TERF shit, which has at times had a pretty deleterious effect on me - I don't know how transpeople deal with it to be honest - but that stuff is generally balanced out by the insightful comments and humour.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 07, 2021, 08:30:43 PM
Or maybe I'm just fed up of seeing thread after thread on such a limited subject. Or a combination of the above.

It's only one active thread at any given time. If we counted both Corbyn and Kieth threads as generic 'labour' threads, which they sort-of are, then I think we'd be seeing similar numbers over the same timespan.

"there's a busy thread about a subject I don't like" does seem like a bit of a small complaint really.

stonkers

The Glinner threads over the past 1-2 years have made me a lot more aware of trans issues than I think I would have been otherwise. Good work Graham!

idunnosomename

Quote from: pigamus on August 07, 2021, 01:37:12 PM
Does he actually call her that or does he call her Joanne? I bet he calls her Joanne.
i bet he doesn't even know that's her name. I mean he can't even pronounce her surname properly

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotesome people are becoming almost as pettily destructive as he is

I think we will generously forgive that as an enthusiastic overstatement.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Regarding the post on the last page about dreaming of Glinner, I think that's a decent tidemark on one's sanity at any given moment, aye.

phantom_power

Quote from: stonkers on August 07, 2021, 09:45:40 PM
The Glinner threads over the past 1-2 years have made me a lot more aware of trans issues than I think I would have been otherwise. Good work Graham!

It could be argued that he does more for the pro trans cause than many others, He certainly isn't converting anyone who isn't already a rabid cunt to his cause and he is probably turning a few soft TERFs away from the movement with his obvious shittiness. and like you say many sensible people will see past his bigotry and find some interesting information in the replies and responses to him and his cavalry of cunts

Kankurette

I've never been a TERF or particularly anti-trans - I was one of the people who supported adding a T to the LGB Society I was in as a student - but twats like Glinner and the Mumsnet FWR crowd have made me even more pro-trans rights. That and having trans friends and actually getting to know them and hearing about their lives. So thanks, Graham, a winnar is yuo.

Barry Admin

Quote from: stonkers on August 07, 2021, 09:45:40 PM

Worth remembering how much money was raised by #thanksgraham entirely to spite him. https://medium.com/@paws.conde/graham-linehan-protector-of-trans-kids-494c1614cf99

Quote$340,000 for charity and a fifty-seven hour long sustained surge of positivity and celebration of trans people, all prompted by the bigoted actions of one retired comedy writer.

I still stand by the threads :-) there's a lot of support for trans people there, and their own perspectives and experiences, and some great fact-checking that goes into Linehan's wildly deluded propaganda. And funny stuff.

buttgammon

Like a lot of people, I've found these threads really informative. I was never a transphobe thankfully, but those issues weren't exactly on my radar either. My morbid interest in Linehan as a comedy fan has now turned into what I hope is a genuine consciousness about the issue, and the discussion on those threads has been a big part in developing that.

Utter Shit

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times before and there are reasons why I'm wrong, but just in case...is there an argument that this thread could be moved to General Bullshit, or even a new sub-forum specifically for Glinner stuff so that it doesn't dominate whatever forum it is in?

It's a bit depressing that if you're on the main forum index, this thread is almost always the one shown as the last posted in, preventing those browsing the main page from seeing at a glance whatever else interesting might be being talked about. It's long since morphed into an area that has nothing to do with comedy.

chveik

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 04, 2021, 08:55:41 AM
a new sub-forum specifically for Glinner stuff so that it doesn't dominate whatever forum it is in?

a subforum for one thread? don't be an idiot

Sonny_Jim

Maybe as a 'mark of respect' to Glinners slide from Twitter King TV funny man to Full Time Hate Monger we could reflect this by moving the next thread to General Bullshit.

Utter Shit

Quote from: chveik on September 04, 2021, 10:45:20 AM
a subforum for one thread? don't be an idiot

Don't see why not - whichever forum this thread is in, it dominates the 'last post in' section of the main index page at the expense of every other topic in that forum. It's not the biggest deal in the world or anything, it's only an extra click to see the full list of comedy topics after all. But personally I tend to click on the main page first and see what people are chatting about across the forum, and in the comedy forum it's almost always this thread.

Utter Shit

Apologies, I have never seen this thread before despite it having 600-odd posts. Clearly it's been discussed at length haha.

Mister Six

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 07, 2021, 08:30:43 PM
Just feel that excessive frothing is taking place over a mole hill that's been made into a mountain.

The mountainous Moley.

Famous Mortimer

Can we stop posting about fucking Mumsnet in that thread? Start something in GB if you want to obsessively document every idiot who posts on there.

chveik

Kankurette

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 05, 2021, 06:08:38 PM
Can we stop posting about fucking Mumsnet in that thread? Start something in GB if you want to obsessively document every idiot who posts on there.
Why though? He posts there.

Dr Rock

It's the UK's top nest of terves spot.

What's the collective noun for terfs? A shart of terves?

Dr Rock

Mister Six

Nahhh, don't let them appropriate witchcraft. I know some witches and they're very nice (and trans-friendly).