Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:40:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

it's the fact that he keeps to up the ante that makes the threads going (and the funny photoshops and people talking about stuff not directly related to him) because the discourse around glinner (as a singular celebrity downfall) has been explored extensively at this point.

imitationleather

What I find interesting about Glinner's physical appearance is how it has really changed the more he's gone off the trans-hate deep end. He's really displaying how unwell he is on his face. I think he used to be a reasonably attractive man back in the day.

Like a lot of other posters have already said I find the threads genuinely informative and a very valuable resource. Years back I think I might have had some mildly transphobic views which came from a position of knowing basically zero about the topic, so they've really changed the way I think about things and this probably wouldn't have happened any other way. I talk about stuff I've read in the threads a lot with people who aren't on CaB, so it's also getting out to people who for some reason don't feel like they need internet forums in their life.

Mister Six

I honestly don't think he looks like he stinks of anything but bananas.

And I do think there's value in the cataloguing of his mad spiral. The documents are there, and may be useful for future biographers/psychologists/prosecutors.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2021, 11:01:47 PM
it's the fact that he keeps to up the ante that makes the threads going (and the funny photoshops and people talking about stuff not directly related to him) because the discourse around glinner (as a singular celebrity downfall) has been explored extensively at this point.

Yes.

If he just stopped (Gervais) then whatever and however ludicrous his points, eventually that would be that. Thread dies, nothing new or interesting to say.

If he just carried on but without the doubling down upon doubling down, the thread would be running out of steam (GB News thread). There's no continued ratcheting up of extremity or increasingly fringe/weird stuff then there's nothing new or interesting to say. Garrison thread another good example.

Its the continued output, and the increased extremity of the output that piques interest. Drop out for a few weeks then drop back in - suddenly he's going to fringe protests with a few dozen blue-haired bigots at regional parliaments. The fact it is getting more inherently more extreme (while also being inherently absurd - he's a straight white man who has depth-charged his life and career over this issue that has no impact on him) drives comment.

Captain Z

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 16, 2021, 08:05:37 PM
When Madhair's wonderful thread summary was trending we thought we'd get a huge influx of new anti-transphobes. We didn't. Just some 'wow, those guys are funny and savage,' sort of comments on Twitter.

I don't disagree with the general vibe of your post, but registrations are currently closed. We also didn't get an influx when we were namedropped on primetime BBC1, but the same might have been true then. I believe new members occasionally trickle in if they are proactive enough to go via Barry on Twitter?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Captain Z on September 17, 2021, 12:03:21 AM
I don't disagree with the general vibe of your post, but registrations are currently closed. We also didn't get an influx when we were namedropped on primetime BBC1, but the same might have been true then. I believe new members occasionally trickle in if they are proactive enough to go via Barry on Twitter?

No, I don't use Twitter, haven't for years.

Registrations only just closed again yesterday.  I'm having problems keeping out spammers and banned members at the minute, there's another spam wave, and so we did get a few new people, but there's another 26 accounts that I have to verify, and it's pretty time-consuming. 

I'll bang through another batch tomorrow hopefully, I've had a stinking migraine all day.

Famous Mortimer

As excited as I am to learn what some rando on Mumsnet thinks about some bollocks TERF topic, nothing to do with are Graham. Why not just create a Mumsnet thread in GB if you absolutely, positively, can't stop visiting there?

Kankurette

This is aimed at me, and the reason I posted is because it's related to TERFs and because Bananacunt had a history of run-ins with Mermaids. Put me on ignore if you're that arsed about it. And I'm not going to post TERF shit in the other trans stuff thread. The Glinner thread is also the TERF shit thread anyway, plenty of posts about Millar et al.

JaDanketies

Yeah I feel there are too many potential tangents in the Glinner thread all the time. AOC's dress getting span out is fine, but other terf things are ok imo. I mean we don't want every other thread on the board to be about terfs, and the Glinner thread gets so much activity that this'd be a potential outcome.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 17, 2021, 01:55:25 PM
As excited as I am to learn what some rando on Mumsnet thinks about some bollocks TERF topic, nothing to do with are Graham. Why not just create a Mumsnet thread in GB if you absolutely, positively, can't stop visiting there?

Why not simply skip the occasional post about what the terves at Mumsnet are saying?

Kankurette

Didn't the OP of the queer stuff thread ask that anything Glinner/TERF-related be kept out of the thread?

Despite what Mortimer thinks, I do post about things other than MN but they and Bananacunt are part of the same problem. And the TERF crowd Bananacunt is in with do claim that OUR CHILDREN are being brainwashed by trans people, and that schools are indoctrinating kids.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Kankurette on September 17, 2021, 03:47:38 PM
Didn't the OP of the queer stuff thread ask that anything Glinner/TERF-related be kept out of the thread?

and subsequently no one posted in it

Quote from: Endicott on September 23, 2021, 04:20:09 PM
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,87097.msg4555823.html#msg4555823

fab thank you x

edit: uninstalled bc it glitches up the replies to your posts feature

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 17, 2021, 03:44:57 PM
Why not simply skip the occasional post about what the terves at Mumsnet are saying?
Why not just not post that sort of thing? Who cares about fucking Mumsnet?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I said it before, but I think it's good that the Glinner thread is also a general TERFs Gone Bananas thread. Keeps all the ugliness in one place, makes it easier to avoid if you just can't be doing with it.

Kankurette

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 23, 2021, 06:21:30 PM
Why not just not post that sort of thing? Who cares about fucking Mumsnet?
Loads of people don't care about Glinner. And yet.

I'm not going to stink up the queer/trans comrades thread with TERF bullshit just because you're mad about seeing the odd post about Mumsnet in the Glinner thread.

GoblinAhFuckScary

going to wring my hands around and say that the racecar bed jokes and ESPECIALLY the carbonara ones and where's my wife ones are embarrassingly stale[nb]banana jokes also going mouldy[/nb]

it's nearly the year of our lord 2022

just my opinion w/e fight me

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Kankurette on September 23, 2021, 10:59:44 PM
Loads of people don't care about Glinner. And yet.

I'm not going to stink up the queer/trans comrades thread with TERF bullshit just because you're mad about seeing the odd post about Mumsnet in the Glinner thread.
If only there were a third option, like starting another thread! Then we could find out how many people give the tiniest bit of a fuck about what Mumsnet posters think about the issues of the day. If only!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Can the Glinner threads at least be moved to General Bullshit? Linehan's got fuck all to do with comedy any more.

Kankurette

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 27, 2021, 05:25:28 PM
If only there were a third option, like starting another thread! Then we could find out how many people give the tiniest bit of a fuck about what Mumsnet posters think about the issues of the day. If only!
If only you could get it into your head that people post about TERF-related things in that thread, and Mumsnet is TERF central, therefore it is relevant.

Should we not post anything about Spiked? Julie Bindel? Hadley Freeman? Suzanne Moore?

JamesTC

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 27, 2021, 07:21:06 PM
Can the Glinner threads at least be moved to General Bullshit? Linehan's got fuck all to do with comedy any more.

He accidentally doxxed himself at the weekend. The guy is funnier than ever, just unintentionally so.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 27, 2021, 05:25:28 PM

Get over yourself. Or tell the person forcing you to read things that I think it's not on and you should be free to read or not read what you want.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I generally agree with you but we wouldn't have a 'what did this idiot down the pub say' thread and even if Mumsnet crap is terf related we don't necessarily need to see it to know it.

Kankurette

OK, so where do we draw the line with non-Glinner TERF shit? Because loads of people post random tweets from random TERFs on Twitter.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 27, 2021, 07:30:12 PM
I generally agree with you but we wouldn't have a 'what did this idiot down the pub say' thread and even if Mumsnet crap is terf related we don't necessarily need to see it to know it.

I think a 'what did this idiot down the pub say' thread would be quite entertaining. And we already have threads about amusing fringe beliefs etc.

Zetetic

I think the difference is that the views are rarely amusing or novel, but they're some no-name saying nothing new to no-one that ends up being regurgitated here (often giving them a far greater audience than they'd have otherwise).

Zetetic

And I think that MN and its relationship to gender identity and transphobia is interesting, to the point of starting a thread about it - but only if you're going to try to draw out something novel from it, ideally the mass of it, not just "look how this dickhead who doesn't matter said something a bit dogshit".

Edit: Which I don't think is an entirely fair characterisation of Kankurette's posts on the matter - I am being a bit hyperbolic.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 27, 2021, 05:22:29 PM
going to wring my hands around and say that the racecar bed jokes and ESPECIALLY the carbonara ones and where's my wife ones are embarrassingly stale[nb]banana jokes also going mouldy[/nb]

it's nearly the year of our lord 2022

just my opinion w/e fight me

JK Rowling