Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Just scroll past the Mumsnet stuff, Jesus Christ. It's not like there's much of it. And the "it's not notable" argument applies to tons of the idiots on Twitter and in the SGB comments, and people still post those up in the Glinner thread. It's long been about more than just Linehan in any case, and the only disadvantage that I can see is that talking about non-Glin stuff makes it marginally harder to calculate the velocity of his flight into madness.

Ambient Sheep

Just for the record, I have no issue with Mumsnet stuff in the Glinner threads, providing it's about them discussing trans issues.  Which as far as I can remember, it always has been.

JaDanketies

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 27, 2021, 05:22:29 PM
going to wring my hands around and say that the racecar bed jokes and ESPECIALLY the carbonara ones and where's my wife ones are embarrassingly stale[nb]banana jokes also going mouldy[/nb]

it's nearly the year of our lord 2022

just my opinion w/e fight me

The Carbonara is mouldy, the racecar bed is one-note, but mocking the divorce still has a lot of life left imo

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 28, 2021, 05:34:14 AM
Just for the record, I have no issue with Mumsnet stuff in the Glinner threads, providing it's about them discussing trans issues.  Which as far as I can remember, it always has been.

All part of the extended Glinnerverse, these are his people.

Sonny_Jim

You see I'm the opposite, I think pretty much everything is fair game EXCEPT the wife and kids stuff.  It's not that I feel pity for him, it's just I think she would appreciate it if she could be completely dissociated with the vile bigot he has become.

Kankurette

The only time I've ever posted Mumsnet-related stuff in that thread is if it's TERF shit.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yeah the Mumsnet posts are few and far between and the ones that are posted are TERF- and Glinner-related. A "Mumsnet thread" would get pushed off the first page fairly quickly and then would have to be dug out to be updated, if anybody cared to update it.

Chollis

wasn't Mumsnet the first place are Graham turned to on that fateful night (of his twitter banning)?

idunnosomename

phantom_power

That BBB line is a classic. It is like he transmogrified from Graham Linehan to Lister in his Twitter grief

canadagoose

JaDanketies

Quote from: canadagoose on September 28, 2021, 12:42:50 PM
It's Gary Gary Gary Glinner

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 09, 2021, 10:56:12 AM

"He's Graham Graham Graham Glinner,
There's carbonara for his dinner,
In his bed he's a Grand Prix winner,
He's Graham Graham Glinner..."

canadagoose

Can the next one of these threads finally be biffed into General Bullshit? About 95% of the posts are fuck all to do with Linehan now.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 24, 2022, 11:12:44 PMCan the next one of these threads finally be biffed into General Bullshit? About 95% of the posts are fuck all to do with Linehan now.

No.

prelektric

Been grimly following this over time, but never felt the need to comment until now.

There was no need to drag his former colleagues into this. For all kinds of reasons, they're not obliged, or compelled, to comment on it. If they want to continue working with him, that is up to them. But that is a professional decision on their part. I don't remember people refusing to work with John Lennon because he was a known wife beater.

We all know what bananacunt has been up to, because he gleefully spreads it all over the place, but don't drag the rest of everyone he's ever worked with into it, that just makes all the tittle tattle gossip even worse, and solves nothing.

The fact that this topic has generated at least, what? 18 threads worth ought to tell you that some here are pretty obsessed by it. He's fucked his entire life, no one here is going to change his mind. Honestly it's almost like a Mumsnet obsession over something you have zero influence on, and it all just becomes a soap opera in forum shape.

He's going nowhere. Also, his crusade is going nowhere. It will die, a shrinking minority that will just get bored and abandon it. He'll be left alone. And that's that.

You're all better than this. Forget it and move on. He won't, but you should.

Unless you're doing all this for some sort of weird kicks and shits and giggles, in which case, fair enough. I used to kick a ball against a wall for hours when I was I kid, never scored a goal. Because there wasn't one. You can do similar here.

Yours sincerely

Annoyed of Gateshead.

Alberon

No one from here should be bothering former, or even current, colleagues.

As to the fascination of watching someone deliberately trash their entire life, that speaks for itself.

We are nearer the end than the beginning. Half the GC crowd are pulling away as he goes too far and the other half because he isn't rabid enough.

I'd add that the threads have become more a gender critical one than just a Linehan one.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: prelektric on May 21, 2022, 05:24:10 PMThere was no need to drag his former colleagues into this. For all kinds of reasons, they're not obliged, or compelled, to comment on it. If they want to continue working with him, that is up to them. But that is a professional decision on their part. I don't remember people refusing to work with John Lennon because he was a known wife beater.

I feel like I'm going to regret a "that was then, this is now" response as it's a whole other issue I'm not qualified to talk about, except to say if it turned out one of Coldplay was beating his wife in 2022 I'm sure he'd find himself out of the band and the work drying up pretty quick.

But more to the point, while Graham's not physically attacking anybody his behaviour's still appalling and if colleagues are letting it slide either out of agreement or fear of losing money then I think bringing them up is perfectly valid. I don't remember anyone here actually bothering any of them though.

prelektric

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 21, 2022, 05:53:45 PMI feel like I'm going to regret a "that was then, this is now" response as it's a whole other issue I'm not qualified to talk about, except to say if it turned out one of Coldplay was beating his wife in 2022 I'm sure he'd find himself out of the band and the work drying up pretty quick.

But more to the point, while Graham's not physically attacking anybody his behaviour's still appalling and if colleagues are letting it slide either out of agreement or fear of losing money then I think bringing them up is perfectly valid. I don't remember anyone here actually bothering any of them though.

Kind of regret making that post now.

But I get what you're saying. I was just annoyed by the whole shitshow.

Sorry everyone.

Quote from: prelektric on May 21, 2022, 06:05:46 PMKind of regret making that post now.

But I get what you're saying. I was just annoyed by the whole shitshow.

S orry everyone.

Nah, you're alright 🙂

This goes way back

C_Larence

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 21, 2022, 05:53:45 PMBut more to the point, while Graham's not physically attacking anybody his behaviour's still appalling and if colleagues are letting it slide either out of agreement or fear of losing money then I think bringing them up is perfectly valid. I don't remember anyone here actually bothering any of them though.
I think it's fair to say that when he was working with the people we're talking about condemning him he was essentially a different person, or to put it more literally, he wasn't monomaniacally obsessed with trans people.

They aren't his colleagues now, most probably have no knowledge or opinion either way about trans issues, so why should they have to talk about it at all? Once having worked with somebody doesn't mean you condone their actions forever after.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

sorry prelektric's post was moved here from the Graham thread where it was (i think) originally in response to people talking about Arthur Mathews and Neil Hannon still working with him on Pope Ted.

You're right, Linehan wasn't the transphobe he is now and I don't think there's many here who'd think Cyril from Father Ted needs to be hassled for his thoughts on Graham's descent. Would just make us as bad as Linehan asking Jo Unwin for example about JK Rowling apropos of nothing.

QuoteOnce having worked with somebody doesn't mean you condone their actions forever after.

This is the flipside to Graham Linehan responding to people who've acted in his shows with a "thanks for your work on _____, but...." as if to suggest he's made them and they should be damn grateful instead of talking out of turn.

prelektric

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on May 21, 2022, 05:53:45 PMBut more to the point, while Graham's not physically attacking anybody his behaviour's still appalling and if colleagues are letting it slide either out of agreement or fear of losing money then I think bringing them up is perfectly valid. I don't remember anyone here actually bothering any of them though.

I will respond to this. Sorry if it seemed that I'd implied anyone here was involved in any shenanigans, that was absolutely not my intent, just poor drafting on my part.

As to your other point, I have to disagree. People will find work where they can. In television, and especially writers, this is an extraordinarily difficult time right now, particularly due to the pandemic. They will try to find work wherever they can find it. The political ideologies of those they are working with are far, far down their list of priorities. That's where we are now.

JaDanketies

Was just in the front room and Keith Allen was on talking about Vindaloo, briefly talked to my fiancée about the racial controversy that the song might've been about and opined that he was a bit of a prick and it's no wonder he's not doing comedy, then she flipped the channel to Britain's Got Talent and I noticed at least three quarters of the judges were also horrible bellends and that I prefer Keith Allen over this sack of shits.

Tldr everyone on TV is a bellend

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 21, 2022, 06:12:47 PMNah, you're alright 🙂

This goes way back

the fucking shaky fucking legs on him

but seriously the most hilarious thing about that clip is that he thinks we've got 18 threads about him in an attempt to big ourselves up. He really believes he's so important that a forum full of mostly nobodies could gain career advancement through pointing and laughing at him. Which, to be clear, is all we're doing.

pigamus

Kankurette

Tbh I'm not remotely arsed about any of the people Bananacunt's worked with.

prelektric

Quote from: pigamus on May 21, 2022, 10:08:48 PMLooking at that thumbnail he looks just like

It's uncanny. It really is. Fuck.

Meanwhile you've just dredged up the horror of Murun. I hope you're proud. :(

I hated that as a kid, still do. No afternoon great tea and Godzilla and stuff and I'm having some sort of stroke please helppppppppppp...)

Kankurette

I was in some retro TV group on Facebook a while back and I swear every week, someone would post about Murun Buchstansangur or, as the mods called him, 'that little grey bastard'. It was the most depressing cartoon ever, not helped by the fact that its main character looks like a grey bollock.