Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:08:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Just checked, and it's deffo that ( " Silent Scream", I mean) .A young Brian Cox is also in it. I always though Susan George was the young wife, but it wasnae her. Although you also have the option of watching this on video, I wouldnae recommend it, the ending is really chilling stuff.

CHILLING NEW PAGE

batwings

Dr Rock

I found it very chilling when I saw it. But i reckoned they could escape somehow. Smash the windows in with the hoover or something.

Dr Rock

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 26, 2021, 10:57:40 AM
Or just wait for the postman.

Postie would be coming to the front of the house, and they have very deliberately been trapped in the kitchen at the back of the house, but, yes, even at the time of that episode's broadcast, after being fully chilled, I remember thinking that they could have smashed the window with that big wooden table, or a chair, anything non- metal, really. The yt comments also have this point mentioned more than once.Peter Cushing's definitely fucked, though.

That Denholm Elliot constant dream one is a lot more disturbing, actually.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 07, 2020, 08:17:00 PM
This from the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzoi1cx7_U

To my mind, the series aired only once, but I always remembered the main bit of theme tune.

It's the reason that the later cartoon of the more famous film is called 'The Real Ghostbusters'.

I've never heard the theme tune before.  It seems to borrow a lot from 'He's got the whole world in his hands'.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 08, 2020, 02:11:20 PM
And in turn there was an animated version of the live-action series that came out at the same time as an obvious cash-in.

The Filmation cartoon of Ghostbusters came before The Real Ghostbusters, I think.  Universal (if that was the studio) were granted the rights to make a movie using the name Ghostbusters.  Filmation quickly decided to make a cartoon of their series to cash in on the success the Ghostbusters brand was now having (they still had the rights to the name for everything except a movie), and that was why The Real Ghostbusters couldn't be named Ghostbusters.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 26, 2021, 11:14:14 AM
Postie would be coming to the front of the house, and they have very deliberately been trapped in the kitchen at the back of the house, but, yes, even at the time of that episode's broadcast, after being fully chilled, I remember thinking that they could have smashed the window with that big wooden table, or a chair, anything non- metal, really. The yt comments also have this point mentioned more than once.

It's actually worse than we thought. Look at this opening show of the fella coming down the path - the kitchen actually has a giant pair or RICKETY GLASS DOORS too. A wooden table would smash them off their hinges (not that anyone without a video would have noticed this, which in 1980 was virtually everyone).

https://youtu.be/CNaIUyYvPzI?t=170

willbo

I remember a similar episode of an anthology show where a newlywed couple wake to find they're bricked in to their home (walls behind the windows and doors). Can't remember which show it was now but it was a Roald Dahl type one I think.

batwings

Having watched The Silent Scream on youtube, this popped up in my yt recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4OtfnNqr6M
(Filming locations of The Silent Scream - Hammer House of Horror)

Of course, someone in the comments is decrying the fact that the Nazi's pet shop / human zoo is now a food shop called Haji Abdul Ghani.

Icehaven

Quote from: willbo on June 25, 2021, 11:22:17 PM
Does anyone remember a short film with Richard Coyle from "Coupling" going out to buy a condom during a one night stand and then not being able to find the house again?

Friday Night In
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ckSyku_gQ

They've possibly ripped that off from Game On when Martin had a date with an American girl which went well but when he went to buy a condom he couldn't find his way back to her flat. Although it's probably just coincidence.

Quote from: willbo on June 29, 2021, 11:45:03 AM
I remember a similar episode of an anthology show where a newlywed couple wake to find they're bricked in to their home (walls behind the windows and doors). Can't remember which show it was now but it was a Roald Dahl type one I think.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088909/?ref_=ttep_ep12
Spoiler alert

The revelation at the end is that they are hi-tech children's dolls in a doll's house from about a century in the future who are so sophisticated that they have consciousness and whose toy house is still in its packaging
[close]

Icehaven

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 30, 2021, 08:09:05 PM
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088909/?ref_=ttep_ep12
Spoiler alert

The revelation at the end is that they are hi-tech children's dolls in a doll's house from about a century in the future who are so sophisticated that they have consciousness and whose toy house is still in its packaging
[close]

That's an old Twilight Zone episode too! There's nothing new under the sun.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 30, 2021, 08:09:05 PMhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088909/?ref_=ttep_ep12
Spoiler alert

[close]

That's one of my big childhood memories, was sent to bed before it ended and only rediscovered it a few years ago online.

willbo

I've got a memory of some kind of British sci fi tv play or episode which I would have seen in the late 80s or early 90s but could have been older. It was about some kind of cunning leader - a manipulative man who became leader of a community/group - possibly in space, possibly in a shipwrecked setting or post-apocalypse Earth. It could have been a Doctor Who episode or something.

What I remember most is a scene where the people who are starting to doubt the leader are talking about him privately, and one person considers that the leader might be ok, and an English actor with a grave clipped voice says "He's Hitler. He's Hitler and we've let him become so" (or "we've let him take over" or something). (meaning he's like Hitler). And it brings them all to their senses and they decide to oppose the Leader.

Yussef Dent

Getting in very late from a night out around 2005/06 and putting ITV cashcow Quizmania on. It was coming to the end of the show and they wanted to close it out with the end of that particular game to guess items found in a kitchen. Rattling through callers and with minutes to go, the presenter, Greg Scott (who eventually I'll get round to tweeting him about this as there's no evidence for it anywhere and I don't know anyone else who saw it), decides to give away one of the answers with the first word of cheese. "It's four letters, it rhymes with fire, hire, tyre... okay next caller, what's your answer?" It was for something like £3000... a woman excitedly answers "BOARD!"

Another one nobody remembers and I don't know why it was changed, but Chatback with its rave tune of "0891 FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY" became Chatterbox, same music but the number was 0891 21 21 21

Tikwid

Quote from: Yussef Dent on July 19, 2021, 02:07:12 AM
Another one nobody remembers and I don't know why it was changed, but Chatback with its rave tune of "0891 FIFTY FIFTY FIFTY" became Chatterbox, same music but the number was 0891 21 21 21
Scott Walker considers lucrative new licensing opportunity

George White

Quote from: willbo on July 18, 2021, 07:54:02 AM
I've got a memory of some kind of British sci fi tv play or episode which I would have seen in the late 80s or early 90s but could have been older. It was about some kind of cunning leader - a manipulative man who became leader of a community/group - possibly in space, possibly in a shipwrecked setting or post-apocalypse Earth. It could have been a Doctor Who episode or something.

What I remember most is a scene where the people who are starting to doubt the leader are talking about him privately, and one person considers that the leader might be ok, and an English actor with a grave clipped voice says "He's Hitler. He's Hitler and we've let him become so" (or "we've let him take over" or something). (meaning he's like Hitler). And it brings them all to their senses and they decide to oppose the Leader.
Goliath Awaits?

willbo

thanks for the tip on Goliath, I'll try and see that.

Quote from: magval on November 06, 2020, 08:30:03 PM

Also remember an ad that used a Lamb of God song and another where a lad from my school played a goth who was embarassed to be seen with a Lidl bag.

Seem to remember anything that skewed towards the rock scene unexpectedly.

I remember in the early 00s the older girl in "my parents are aliens" had Cradle of Filth on in her room, caused a bit of a stir in Kerrang at the time. I also remember Korn's "predictable" on a recent bbc ad?

some other randoms -

Frank Skinner telling a story on a chat show about his suppository falling on the floor during a dinner date

Richard Madeley discussing a historical woman who had relationships with powerful people (someone like Marilyn Monroe or Wallis Simpson?) with a historical author, and the author bought up the subject's vaginal tightness

Richard Madeley called comic writer Mark Millar "Miller" to which Millar visibly scowled

Benedict Cumberbatch on ITV breakfast to promote the new series of Sherlock starting that evening, they try to make him put a cartoony Holmes deerstalker hat, he understandably doesn't want to (the show is building up to showing in one for the first time) and starts snapping with panic "it won't fit! I'm telling you it won't fit!"

Replies From View

Anyone remember an ostrich running through a desert in slow motion with the Chariots of Fire music playing?

non capisco

Quote from: Replies From View on July 29, 2021, 05:20:58 PM
Anyone remember an ostrich running through a desert in slow motion with the Chariots of Fire music playing?

We found Max the Lion, we'll find this!

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on July 29, 2021, 05:20:58 PMAnyone remember an ostrich running through a desert in slow motion with the Chariots of Fire music playing?

Here's an ostrich's 'wry' eye being cast over that comment!:

(From the Talk Talk music video 'It's Eye Life'.)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 02, 2021, 04:59:55 PM
As a small child, I learned the word 'tomfoolery' from this animated series (1970-71):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0DjdCn6pk&ab_channel=toontracker

Oh I loved that show! It's right on the dawn my memory too, so shrouded on being tantalizingly close to my pre-memory days.

Ambient Sheep

Likewise.  When I first dug out that theme tune from the internet a few years ago, the Proustian Rush was immense, esoecially regarding the opening animations.

jamiefairlie

Here's a very specific and obscure memory that I've never had validated be another living soul. Early evening magazine show Nationwide, of Lawley and Bough fame, around late 81. They used to run a kind of 'battle of the bands/proto-pop idol' thing for new artists. I have a clear memory of turning the TV on and catching the last minute of a young band doing a cover of 'Ice Age' by Joy Division. It was so unlikely that it lodged itself firmly in my brain but I've never found any validation that it actually happened.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 02, 2021, 05:53:45 PM
Here's a very specific and obscure memory that I've never had validated be another living soul. Early evening magazine show Nationwide, of Lawley and Bough fame, around late 81. They used to run a kind of 'battle of the bands/proto-pop idol' thing for new artists. I have a clear memory of turning the TV on and catching the last minute of a young band doing a cover of 'Ice Age' by Joy Division. It was so unlikely that it lodged itself firmly in my brain but I've never found any validation that it actually happened.
There's an amount of it on Youtube, if you've got a quiet evening you could always skim through a few, see if you get lucky.

The Silver Knight

Quote from: willbo on July 18, 2021, 07:54:02 AM

This could be the Twilight Zone episode 'On Thursday We Leave For Home'.