Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Yeah I remember it but it's not like they were giving it out in school. Didn't know Judy was a Helen Lovejoy.

non capisco

Is it possible she'd found a mocked up version lying round the office where someone had shopped Richard's head onto the body of Vanilla Ice?

Or the more prosaic and likely explanation for her ire, she'd walked in on Richard rubbing one out to it?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mobbd on November 09, 2020, 12:04:54 PM
We then cut to the silently-listening therapist who, we learn, is nothing but a painted egg.
Some kind of nut, wasn't it?

magval

Do you get to see Madonna's bum and fanny and boobies in that book?

daf

Hardly any really - I saw a PDF of it online, and it seemed to be just moody black and white stuff with leather and whips - not worth a wank.

Norton Canes

They had a display copy of her book in Waterstones - on a plinth right in the middle of the shop, daring all the pervs to take a look.

Took me three days to pluck up the courage.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: magval on November 10, 2020, 09:09:14 AM
Do you get to see Madonna's bum and fanny and boobies in that book?

By that stage we'd seen them already.  I remember the book was being sold sealed in silver foil so you couldn't leaf through it in the shop unless there was an opened one on the shelf, which there never was because it sold like the literal hot cakes.

magval

If there are willies in the book do you get to see them going into the fanny?

Cool OK, I'm done with this bit.

Cheers!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 10, 2020, 11:51:29 AM
Er... ^^

Perhaps the people in Waterstones were more well-behaved than the people in Virgin Records (or HMV, I forget which but one of those two) where I witnessed someone put a bunch of the books on the shelves only for them to be picked clean by pervs like locusts on a leafy thing.  It was not long after publication date though, an unsold copy would probably have survived for longer after the pervs had had their fill.

Norton Canes

Or their empty, so to speak. Like I say, the copy in Waterstones was positioned right in the middle of the room, so impossible to browse furtively. You could see people lurking around the nearest shelves for ages, glancing over at it, hoping I guess that everyone else would leave the shop.

non capisco

Remember when the Justify My Love video came out on its own VHS with an 18 certificate? Madonna laughing all the way to the bank, there. I think the furthest it goes into 18 certificate territory is a topless woman with her nips concealed by a pair of braces grabbing a bloke in vaguely S&M trousers but they also could be like a pair of strides one of the Thundercats would have worn. I fear it was the brief shot of two blokes having a cuddle that may have earned it's STRICTLY ADULTS ONLY certification. I'm not denying it's a sexy video but it's exactly as explicit as the subsequent SNL Wayne's World parody and I can only speculate that they slapped an 18 on it because "There's woofters in this, Brian." Still, one 5 minute music video on a sell through VHS? They were getting away with murder on that format. Two Simpsons series 1 episodes, that'll be £12 please.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember when George Michael's "I Want Your Sex" video was banned, and it was pre-announced that one of the record shops (HMV or Virgin) would be screening it at some particular time.  The shop was absolutely RAMMED when they showed it, on a few normal-sized TV's dotted around the place.

Menu

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 09, 2020, 10:07:04 AM
The Castro thing is mentioned on his Wikipedia page, and here's the original 2006 Guardian interview where Judy says she most despises Osama Bin Laden. Someone on Digital Spy recounts another incident but I'm not sure if it's true (I'm sure I've heard it about someone else):Fidel died in 2016 so if true that must refer to a separate incident?

There's also a 2017 Daily Express column by him about how awful it is that Corbyn supports Castro, that also includes Madeley's disdain for nuclear disarmament, moaning about striking railway workers, and how unpopular Corbyn was. The whole article is brilliantly Partridgean. It's written 11 years after he told the Guardian he hated Castro, so clearly a long grudge (albeit perhaps not one reciprocated by the Cubans). It's pretty clear Madeley is very anti-left wing. Was there ever a strike by workers on This Morning?

That's great, thanks for posting all that. This thread is working to convince me that maybe I don't have dementia after all. Would love to know why he's fixated with Fidel. Seems like Judy's heard it all before many times. So funny!

Menu

Quote from: grainger on November 09, 2020, 02:10:40 PM
The staff of his production company once walked out because the Chocolate Oranges he gave them at Easter had damaged boxes.

BOOM!

Menu

Quote from: grainger on November 09, 2020, 02:05:02 PM
Yes, she (with Richard IIRC) was talking to the person defending the book. She was already a bit indignant about the book at the start of the interview. Eventually, she got annoyed and yelled "well I think it's disgusting!" or similar, and walked off set. I think the interview ended then.
To be clear, she was still in the rest of the show, she just left that particular segment. It's even possible that she was meant to walk to another part of the studio set or something at that point, but her yelling certainly gave the impression she stormed out of the interview.

But this was a long time ago - it's entirely possible/likely that the reality wasn't as I remember it.

It's like that bit in The Day Today where Chris storms out of his own interview. Another Partridge connection!

Menu

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2020, 05:08:05 PM
Yeah I remember it but it's not like they were giving it out in school. Didn't know Judy was a Helen Lovejoy.

Especially with her history of DISGRACEFUL public nudity.

Menu

Quote from: non capisco on November 11, 2020, 12:06:45 AM
Remember when the Justify My Love video came out on its own VHS with an 18 certificate? Madonna laughing all the way to the bank, there. I think the furthest it goes into 18 certificate territory is a topless woman with her nips concealed by a pair of braces grabbing a bloke in vaguely S&M trousers but they also could be like a pair of strides one of the Thundercats would have worn. I fear it was the brief shot of two blokes having a cuddle that may have earned it's STRICTLY ADULTS ONLY certification. I'm not denying it's a sexy video but it's exactly as explicit as the subsequent SNL Wayne's World parody and I can only speculate that they slapped an 18 on it because "There's woofters in this, Brian." Still, one 5 minute music video on a sell through VHS? They were getting away with murder on that format. Two Simpsons series 1 episodes, that'll be £12 please.

There's lezzers in it too, mate! PHWOOAAARRRRHH!

Glebe

As a wee lad, two chins singing "What is the point of killing yourself to live?" on The Tube. No, really. Cracked me and me friend up.

Menu

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 11, 2020, 01:00:58 AM
I remember when George Michael's "I Want Your Sex" video was banned, and it was pre-announced that one of the record shops (HMV or Virgin) would be screening it at some particular time.  The shop was absolutely RAMMED when they showed it, on a few normal-sized TV's dotted around the place.

Because that song was banned from the radio, me and my friend convinced another boy that it was to the same tune as 'Faith' but with different lyrics. "I a-want your sex a-sex a-sex! I want a-your sex!" And he fell for it like the fascist he was! Interesting fact: I've still never heard the song and have no idea how it goes

Pseudopath

Quote from: Menu on November 11, 2020, 01:14:01 AM
Because that song was banned from the radio, me and my friend convinced another boy that it was to the same tune as 'Faith' but with different lyrics. "I a-want your sex a-sex a-sex! I want a-your sex!" And he fell for it like the fascist he was! Interesting fact: I've still never heard the song and have no idea how it goes

Ha ha! You weren't actually far wrong.

George White

Javine Hylton on Come Dine with Me thinking Jan Leeming was called Jan Mee Ling, and that she was Chinese, so made her a Chinese banquet, and then her mum said, "That's not JAn Mee Ling,  it's Jan Meeling (sic)".

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Glebe on November 11, 2020, 01:11:52 AM
As a wee lad, two chins singing "What is the point of killing yourself to live?" on The Tube. No, really. Cracked me and me friend up.

I remember this... Might have been 'Def 2' / Snub TV.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember the episode of "Why Don't You" where they got a new theme tune, but years later I realised they were telling a blatant lie.  They way I remember them introducing it was to say a kid had sent in a cassette with a letter basically saying "I recorded you a new theme tune", they played the cassette, and it was instated as the new theme from the very next episode.  Obviously that can't have been the truth as it's obviously professionally recorded - and sounds slight speeded up - and isn't something a kid dashed off on their tape recorder.

Another old memory is of two kids on Swap Shop singing a song with the lyrics "I hate babysitters", one kid singing the other with a keyboard constantly playing the same note over and over again.  Years later I discovered one of them (presumably the one with the keyboard) was Adamski,

Menu

Quote from: George White on November 11, 2020, 07:33:32 PM
Javine Hylton on Come Dine with Me thinking Jan Leeming was called Jan Mee Ling, and that she was Chinese, so made her a Chinese banquet, and then her mum said, "That's not JAn Mee Ling,  it's Jan Meeling (sic)".

Fucking hell.

Menu

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 12, 2020, 01:53:17 AM
I remember the episode of "Why Don't You" where they got a new theme tune, but years later I realised they were telling a blatant lie.  They way I remember them introducing it was to say a kid had sent in a cassette with a letter basically saying "I recorded you a new theme tune", they played the cassette, and it was instated as the new theme from the very next episode.  Obviously that can't have been the truth as it's obviously professionally recorded - and sounds slight speeded up - and isn't something a kid dashed off on their tape recorder.

I don't want to come over all Jerry Seinfeld(!) but what was the deal with Why Don't You? What a strange programme. It's really resonant of summer holidays. That feeling where you were delighted to not be at school but have then been instantly reminded that holiday kids TV is absolute dogshit. Why would I want to watch a bunch of geordie kids put up a tent?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Menu on November 12, 2020, 02:23:43 AM
I don't want to come over all Jerry Seinfeld(!) but what was the deal with Why Don't You? What a strange programme. It's really resonant of summer holidays. That feeling where you were delighted to not be at school but have then been instantly reminded that holiday kids TV is absolute dogshit. Why would I want to watch a bunch of geordie kids put up a tent?

I remember me and others at school being under the impression that they picked the kids that hosted each series from random schools, and we hoped they'd choose our school.  I was told years later by a bbc guy that someone had 'taken a backhander' to allow the kids of bbc employees and their friends be the hosts.  Another version I heard was that they were from an acting school.  Either way, anyone hoping they'd choose their school didn't have a hope in hell of being chosen.