Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,462
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit

Started by MojoJojo, November 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Hope your girlfriend recovers quick Racecar. Glad to gear you're in better form in any case, keep it up!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Racecar, you just get well. That's the best thing you can do for your girlfriend right now. You just get well so that when she messages you, you can tell her that you're better every day.

Thanks everybody for your kind words. Each day is a bit easier. I got his ashes back this morning.

flotemysost

Late to this but I'm so sorry about your dog Poirot, it's awful saying goodbye to a pet. Hope you're coping OK.

And get well soon racecar and your gf too - lots of fluids and taking it easy are definitely the way to go. And don't pressure yourself if you can't always get to sleep when you want - I was absolutely knackered the first few nights but was so feverish I couldn't actually drop off when I went to bed, but ended up sleeping most of the day instead. Glad you're feeling a bit better anyway.

Kankurette

I don't want to post this in the war thread, because it's both irrelevant and distasteful, but I don't know where else to put this. Putting it under a spoiler cut as it is potentially triggering.

Spoiler alert
I am seriously considering taking my own life because of the nuclear threat. Nuclear war is my biggest fear and I've been having a lot of problems with intrusive thoughts and the horrible realisation that if we get bombed or invaded, there will be nothing I can do. I have a vague idea of how I'm going to do it - make sure I'm stocked up on painkillers and just swallow the lot and hope it does me in. I'm not sure what I'd do to my cat, whether I'd mercy kill him or give him away.
[close]

Dex Sawash

Does it help to just type that out?
<insert non-specific virtual support>

Kankurette

Frankly, yes, it does. And I can't exactly tell my family because I don't want to scare them.

Glebe

Hold on there Kanks. I very much doubt Putin is seriously considering this, it just looks like sabre rattling to me. Please don't try anything foolish. Take a deep breath and relax. I know this past while has been shitty but well get through this. Lots of hugs and take care of yourself.

Zetetic

I'd also ask you not to do anything along those lines, @Kankurette .

I should be clear that this is partly for my selfish reasons - I am glad that I share this forum with you, even if that's not always terribly clear in my part of our interactions.

I hope this isn't a ridiculous thing to say - but, in the (still) very very unlikely event of a nuclear war, you're probably going to be in a better position to bring things to an quick conclusion after the bombs have fallen rather than before. There's no rush; you'll still have the choice later.

lipsink

I hope you're okay, Kankurette. Big hug. Please don't do anything.

bgmnts

There's not going to be any nuclear war Kanks don't worry about. So stay with us please.

And when it all simmers down, a lot of rancid governments and press are going to have to take a hard look at themselves for this fear mongering. Fuck knows how many people have seen and read this shit and felt the same way.

flotemysost

Just seen this but hope you're doing OK, @Kankurette - please don't hurt yourself, and try to take a break from the news, or any other sources/individuals adding to the anxiety if it's at all possible.

Quote from: Zetetic on February 28, 2022, 03:47:09 PMI am glad that I share this forum with you

Same here, fwiw x

Kankurette

Thanks, everyone. Let's just say there have been some comments in the Ukraine thread that made me think planning my own death would be the safest option. I don't have kids, so at least I don't have that aspect to worry about. I'm going to avoid it for now.

I know I'm doing the exact thing I shouldn't be doing. I know I'm not in the same level of danger that Ukrainians are in. But intrusive thoughts are relentless and sometimes they just won't stop, it's like having a permanent noise in my head.

Fambo Number Mive

@Kankurette I wanted to second the comments made above - there will not be a nuclear war, I hope you are doing ok, and I am glad I share this forum with you.

The media want us to be scared - fear sells more papers and gets more clicks to websites for media. They try to make us look at life through their distorted lens. And governments want us to be afraid so we are less likely to question what they do.

Glebe

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 02, 2022, 11:22:07 AM@Kankurettethere will not be a nuclear war, fear sells more papers and gets more clicks to websites for media.

THIS 1000%

Something I don't really practice but probably should is mindfulness. Definitely been on the phone/TV/laptop too much and must get back into decent walks in the fresh air.

Kankurette

Why do people on here and elsewhere genuinely believe a nuclear war will happen? Sorry, it's stupid o'clock and I'm on painkillers so a bit incoherent.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Every generation believes that they'll witness the end of the world in their lifetime. The tragedy is that they don't. I suppose having it all end would give our lives a bit more meaning, vitality and sense of occasion.
It's been going on for thousands of years, it's nothing new. Meanwhile, the Earth spins on.

lipsink

I watched the most recent Owen Jones video where they talk about it and they showed a clip from 'Threads' that I haven't seen in a while. I know I shouldn't have watched it. I switched it off cos I have anxiety. I was shaking but I've calmed down a bit now.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Kankurette on March 07, 2022, 02:23:02 AMWhy do people on here and elsewhere genuinely believe a nuclear war will happen? Sorry, it's stupid o'clock and I'm on painkillers so a bit incoherent.
I'm not sure they do. It's a lot of desperation to get clicks on their own story, a lot of people who think that unless they say something outrageous, the cable news people won't get them to come back, a lot of misunderstanding of how the world works, etc.

I mean, there's the very reasonable attitude that the world is in a pretty bad place, with all the greed and hate and that. But I think the answer is fight for a better society, not try and take yourself out of it. Or to wish nuclear apocalypse on everyone.

As an expert on these things (I've seen upwards of 20 Italian 1980s post-apocalypse movies) I don't recommend it as a course of action.

Kankurette

Oh Jesus no, I do NOT wish a nuclear apocalypse on anyone! There's a reason why I wouldn't want to survive one. Everyone I love would be dead. You'd have to be extremely misanthropic to actively want one.

Some of the other forums I frequent have people who are 100% convinced Putin is going to nuke us, especially if NATO declares an NFZ.

In other news, I am so, so glad I changed teams because a couple of years ago, I'd have been cutting myself like mad (look at the Everton score against Spurs for context). Now I don't really care other than feeling sad for my brother (and badaids). It was hard. But it is paying off. Small victories, I guess.

bgmnts

Still got the cough and dreading that it's long covid and they have no fucking idea what to do about it. Dreading seeking Stewart Lee on Saturday. Hope i dont make everyone want to stab me or that I cant last the show.

Kankurette

Good luck, and enjoy Stewart. And hopefully nothing will fall on either of you.

Kankurette

My intrusive thoughts are going into overdrive and the stupidest fucking thing ever has triggered them, and it's getting to the point where I'm seriously frightened, even though the last time this thing happened, I was fine. The sky did not fall on my head. Think it's worth making a thread about it in GB?

Glebe

As you say Kankurette, the sky didn't fall. Hope you're feeling better in any case... you too bgmnts.

bgmnts

Yeah back on sert now hoping that will help.

Hope you're all doing well too.

Glebe

Kankurette

Quote from: bgmnts on April 09, 2022, 01:00:22 PMYeah back on sert now hoping that will help.

Hope you're all doing well too.
That's what I'm on and it's worked for me. Hope it works for you too.

Glebe

It's funny how you can get so wrapped up in news and things and let things bring you down. Then you go and read Lord of the Rings with a mug of hot chocolate and all seems right with the world.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Glebe on April 09, 2022, 01:31:39 PMIt's funny how you can get so wrapped up in news and things and let things bring you down. Then you go and read Lord of the Rings with a mug of hot chocolate and all seems right with the world.

Wait till you get to the bit where Frodo is raped

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I wish I knew how to quit you, Mister Frodo.

purlieu

My biggest fear at the minute is long Covid. Not for myself - I'm very active and social and it would be devastating, but I'd find a way of dealing - but because I look after my girlfriend who has ME. I do all the shopping, cooking, washing and am looking at getting back to work this year so we can get our own place and actually have money. I'm terrified that I won't be able to do this for her anymore. Her parents have been awful, unsupportive and often borderline abusive about her illness since she's had it so she doesn't have anyone else to take care of her. I thought I was through the worst of my Covid but this week I've suddenly become really fatigued, literally walking up the stairs is enough to completely wear me out. I've spoken to a few people who've had fatigue come along in their second week of the illness, and I know if I had usual cold/flu type symptoms then I wouldn't think twice about being this knackered, but despite all this I'm still really, really worried.