Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

020210us Th1ngs

Started by touchingcloth, January 06, 2021, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This thread title...

...is a gobsmack conveyed
...decrees that your dad will ejaculate but once through his human male penis, and be gone
...cinderella's tits.  just her absolute fucking tits
I BET YOU DO DO-DO YOU DOODLE OLD DOOBEN I BET YOU DOOBY DO
...is renowned for rotisserying a robot grief dog within its own grave
wap wap Wap Wap WApWApWAPWWAPWAPWAPWAP
BATON DAVID
OTHER

Sonny_Jim

When you see 'voice coach for Mr So-and-So' in the credits for a film, it's likely that really it's their acting coach.

buzby

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 19, 2023, 10:53:15 AMEven more confusing is that whoever edited the film can't tell the difference between Dean and Sammy's red Corvette and Sinatra's red Dodge Daytona, so the wrong car gets shown at the wrong time towards the end.
It's not that the wrong shot was used by the editor, the wrong car was filmed for the scene (or the script was changed later in shooting and they never went back to reshoot it).

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 14, 2023, 06:58:44 PMI was the person who invented the cache for Internet Explorer. My autobiography which comes out next week talks about it in more detail. You can find Memoirs of a Cacher from Amazon, Waterstones, and all good, independent book retailers.

In the olden days (late 90s) of shit computers AutoCAD used to regularly take breaks from working at all and put a message in a box which said 'Checking cached entities'.

If you were unlucky you would get a 'Fatal Error - unhandled access violation'. Time to hope that there'd been an autosave recently, and you could find it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 19, 2023, 08:56:59 AMIt's a time trial rather than a straight up race, the racers punch their timecard at the start and again the end of the race.  The winner is the person who has the shortest time on their card, so when they are all scrabbling with each other to get to the finish line at the end, it really doesn't matter as they all left at different times.

Makes you want to dig up Dom Deluise's corpse and slap it about a bit.

Even in a time trial, if you all arrive at the finish line at the same time you'd want to stamp your card first, wouldn't you? You wouldn't want to lose the race because you let someone go first.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: buzby on August 02, 2023, 12:07:29 PMor the script was changed later in shooting and they never went back to reshoot it
Having rewatched it recently, I get the feeling they ran out of time/money and just threw together whatever they could.  For example there's an odd animation that gets thrown in there toward the end which doesn't sit with the rest of the film at all.

Sonny_Jim

It's called a 'TV Pilot' because it's like a pilot hole you do before the main drilling.

touchingcloth

I think her biggest deal was she drilled a pilot. Well, the way they drill new holes is they make one hole. That hole's called a pilot. Then they show that one hole to the people who choose holes, and on the strength of that one hole, they decide if they wanna make more holes.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: phantom_power on June 13, 2023, 09:51:39 AMWhat is the incorrect use of "comprise"? I don't recall seeing it abused
Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 13, 2023, 12:23:46 PMIt shouldn't be followed by "of". See also: myriad.

Talking of superfluous ofs, "It's not that big of a deal" (instead of it's not that big a deal) and similar seems to be spreading in the UK now, when it used to be a US thing.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on August 06, 2023, 10:47:37 AMIt's called a 'TV Pilot' because it's like a pilot hole you do before the main drilling.

I think the idea of a pilot (including a pilot hole) comes from the practice of ships being piloted into certain harbours by a local who can easily avoid any hazards. I suppose a TV pilot or a pilot hole are so named because whoever is actually in control has to prove they can pilot through any problems (like not being very good).

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on August 06, 2023, 03:17:46 PMTalking of superfluous ofs, "It's not that big of a deal" (instead of it's not that big a deal) and similar seems to be spreading in the UK now, when it used to be a US thing.

This one drives me absolutely fucking mental.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 06, 2023, 06:11:52 PMThis one drives me absolutely fucking mental.

Yep, this has gotten really bad.

Twonty Gostelow

Gotten is mildly irritating, but it's not illiterate in the way that 'not that big of a deal' etc is.
Also can't stand 'somewhat of a' instead of 'something of a' and people who say I'm a boring bastard.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on August 07, 2023, 11:48:46 AMGotten is mildly irritating, but it's not illiterate in the way that 'not that big of a deal' etc is.
Also can't stand 'somewhat of a' instead of 'something of a' and people who say I'm a boring bastard.

Even the "a" is superfluous really. And the "it's". And the "deal".

I just say "not that big", but sometimes just "not big" can suffice if my face is working.

dissolute ocelot

After 5 days, just got the title of the thread "Oh my collie! Human dog taken for walkies!" It's as in "oh my golly" (BTW "golly" appears to be a minced oath for "God").

Also just realised that John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" are about places 2000 miles apart. He really was just one of those musicians who're "You're the best hills/roads in the world!" wherever he is.

touchingcloth

"Minced"? Not cool, man. Not cool.

studpuppet

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 09, 2023, 11:49:19 AMHe really was just one of those musicians who're "You're the best hills/roads in the world!" wherever he is.

I was going to say, 'it's whichever hill/road your de-pressurised jet piles your unconscious body into', but then realised that was Payne Stewart, the golfer. In fact, I discovered he didn't pile into a hill/road at all.

QuoteDenver died on the afternoon of October 12, 1997, when his light homebuilt aircraft, a Rutan Long-EZ with registration number N555JD, crashed into Monterey Bay near Pacific Grove, California, while making a series of touch-and-go landings at the nearby Monterey Peninsula Airport.[55] He was the plane's only occupant.[60][61] The official cause of death was multiple blunt force trauma resulting from the crash.

Denver was a pilot with over 2,700 hours of experience. He had pilot ratings for single-engine land and sea, multi-engine land, glider and instrument. Denver also held a type rating in his Learjet. He had recently purchased the Long-EZ aircraft, made by someone else from a kit,[62] and had taken a half-hour checkout flight with the aircraft the day before his accident.[63][64]

Denver was not legally permitted to fly at the time of the crash. In previous years, he had been arrested several times for drunk driving.[65] In 1996, nearly a year before the accident, the FAA learned that Denver had failed to maintain sobriety by not refraining entirely from alcohol and revoked his medical certification.[55][56] However, it was determined that the crash was not caused or influenced by alcohol use; an autopsy found no signs of alcohol or other drugs in Denver's body.[55]

touchingcloth

I reckon once you've made the first touch-and-go landing, just stay landed rather than having another go.

Sonny_Jim

Martin Scorsese has only one Oscar and he didn't win that until 2007.

touchingcloth

Peter Sellers was a cunt.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 16, 2023, 12:56:48 PMPeter Sellers was a cunt.

I think his ill-treatment of wives and children (and occasionally workers on set who looked at him in the wrong way) was known about even before Roger Lewis's book came out, but watching him in Get Back being weird and awkward and charmless made me think Lewis was on to something when he said he was a little insane and a void personality when he wasn't performing. The Beatles had probably all met him before but they seemed unusually wary of him.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on August 16, 2023, 01:43:05 PMI think his ill-treatment of wives and children (and occasionally workers on set who looked at him in the wrong way) was known about even before Roger Lewis's book came out, but watching him in Get Back being weird and awkward and charmless made me think Lewis was on to something when he said he was a little insane and a void personality when he wasn't performing. The Beatles had probably all met him before but they seemed unusually wary of him.

I knew very little about him other than that I liked him in Dr Strangelove and those She Loves You... spoofs with Spike Milligan, but I've just listened to this - https://whatacreeppodcast.com/2021/01/30/what-a-creep-season-9-episode-7-peter-sellers/ - and was surprised by what an absolute prick he was. After I saw that he was the subject of an episode but before I listened to it I assumed he would be a classic arse-fondler, but it's some of the most abusive behaviour I've heard about. More the stuff of a Behind the Bastards episode.

Sonny_Jim

So is there a 2023 thread I keep on missing?

FredNurke

Sellers seems to have been a perfect storm of (probable) neurodivergence, definite mental health issues, too much money and too much fame, and was probably an arsehole on top of all that. He was a deeply unhappy man, if that's any consolation.

touchingcloth

The main consolation is that he had the heart to save us from him putting on an extremely convincing Jim Crow accent and going on podcasts armed with a butterfly net and a bottle of banana Yoohoo.

Incy Wincy Mincey

On Microsoft Teams, when someone sticks their hand up and a number appears next to it, it indicates the order people put their hands up in.

I presumed it was somebody hammering the Hand Up button multiple times to make their oh-so fucking-important point.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought it was Sellers that Milligan poetically and grimly described as " felt sorry for him. He ended up on his own. I thought, he's got rid of everybody else, he's going to get rid of himself and he did." but it looks like it was Tony Hancock who was a bit of an arsehole as well but clearly a troubled man.

FredNurke

Hancock wasn't remotely in Sellers' league, despite running off with John le Mesurier's wife, and upsetting a fair few people (Sid James, Galton and Simpson, etc.). He seems to have found dealing with people very difficult, and consequently did it badly. If he'd stayed off the drink and / or the autocue he might have been all right.

Sellers once said "I am just a vase of flowers, and Milligan arranged me."  "Very poetic - or a complete bloody lie" was Milligan's response.

touchingcloth

B-b-b-b-bennie and the Jets wasn't recorded live.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2023, 12:40:48 PMB-b-b-b-bennie and the Jets wasn't recorded live.

Comes right after funeral for a friend