Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ben Garrison “reacts” thread (bring your reading glasses)

Started by Ferris, January 08, 2021, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

MojoJojo

I know it's a minor thing really, but it bothers me that there is no understanding of how levers work in that cartoon.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 02, 2021, 07:52:33 AM
Why is the Statue of Liberty a chef
it's a smurf hat. Typical liberty head gear

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_cap

Fun fact: the only reason liberty leading the people has a spikey hat is because it is based off the colossus of Rhodes, which was a statue of the sun god Apollo.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Fun fact fun fact: the Statue of Liberty is also Arabic. The original concept designed by Bartholdi was for the Suez Canal. It was turned down, and he just recycled it for the 100th anniversary of the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_Carrying_the_Light_to_Asia

idunnosomename

oh ha i didn't know that. it's a really amazing project and monument though. it's even built on an old star fort meant to repel the British before the war of 1812. all the French origins really were forgotten in the Freedom Fries era. it's French neo-classical through and through though

Ant Farm Keyboard

Ferris

zomgmouse

chveik

Video Game Fan 2000

I'm fascinated by the Garrison progression.

Stage 1: Garrison makes kitschy attempts at fine art for no money -> makes libertarian political satire for a little money -> Alex Jones posts his art on infowars -> infowars readers get pissed off because Garrison is not a racist far right lunatic but a libertarian, Garrison becomes hated by the far right because he's the only a slightly daft libertarian in a hellpit of reactionary insanity
Stage 2: 4chan discovers this and trolls him by making antisemitic versions of his art labelling everything "jews" and "goyim" -> Garrison is infuriated and hurt at fact antisemites versions of his art being spread by 4chan -> he starts labelling everything in his cartoons to make sure they can't be photoshopped into antisemitic propaganda
Stage 3: Trump happens and Garrison loves him, his brain is now cooked by 4chan trolls -> liberals discover his art without knowing the back story and mock him relentlessly, thinking he does what he does because he's a loon not because his comics get pirated by antisemites -> Garrison is enraged by this and is too much of an internet illiterate boomer to tell liberal mockery from 4chan trolling -> he doubles down on all his opinions and starts doing offensive shit himself, his comics are now frequently worse than the 4chan parodies
Stage 4: Covid happens and Garrison is paranoid as fuck -> Trump loses and Garrison is humiliated -> formerly libertarian Garrison is now so deep in Magaland he doesn't get vaccinated and advocates Trump supported drugs -> he gets Covid and is rumoured to be very sick because he loves cigars and red meat
Stage 5: Liberal Twitter feverishly excited to watch this guy die in real time and constantly bumping updates on him and they hope he dies, he's a one man r/hermancainwards

Video Game Fan 2000

The bizarre thing is there was a period where was doing BOTH offensive far right stuff to please his new fans and still doing his old ironic libertarian anti-nazi stuff at the same time. I know people use 'cognitive dissonance' incorrectly online to mean people holding contradictory extreme beliefs but Garrison is best example of that I've seen seen

He drew this:

at around the same time as those racist Trump and pro-Bannon cartoons.

zomgmouse

MojoJojo

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 04, 2021, 01:51:24 AM
The bizarre thing is there was a period where was doing BOTH offensive far right stuff to please his new fans and still doing his old ironic libertarian anti-nazi stuff at the same time. I know people use 'cognitive dissonance' incorrectly online to mean people holding contradictory extreme beliefs but Garrison is best example of that I've seen seen

He drew this:

at around the same time as those racist Trump and pro-Bannon cartoons.

Any idea about the letter to "Dean, Leeds, UK"?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Dr Rock

Blumf

ajsmith2

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 04, 2021, 08:07:58 AM
Any idea about the letter to "Dean, Leeds, UK"?

I think that is the limited amount of personal details he knew about one of the his 4chan trolls of the time.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteStage 5: Liberal Twitter feverishly excited to watch this guy die in real time and constantly bumping updates on him and they hope he dies, he's a one man r/hermancainwards

Garrison, in other words, is the new Glinner.

Video Game Fan 2000

Glinner deliberately provoked people because he decided, in his head and for no discernible reason other than to save face, that a handful of low profile queer accounts on twitter were gamergate agent provocateurs and not genuine LGBT people. And he's rather build a religion out of that idea than admit he didn't understand why people were annoyed at him. Saying he's much less sympathetic is an understatement.

Garrison genuinely did not understand what the problem the alt right had with him was, he was totally confused by it all. One minute they're "new fans" next minute they're "nazi trolls". And its obvious from his cartoons that he still doesn't know the difference between clear cut online factions. Like, he seemed to think the idea that George Floyd coincidentally died from a fentanyl overdose would make him look like an anti-racist, he didn't know that was a pro-police conspiracy theory.

I'm not shedding any tears over people making fun of either of them, but Garrison is just a big dummy whose personal politics used to be a fairless harmless mix of Ron Paul plus a few liberal social issues, then some iffy anti-Obama stuff. With his opinions could have ended up as a RINO or a centrist anti-Bernie guy, like a lot of less batshit Ron Paul people of his age, but instead he got hounded by 4chan and now resistance liberals are jerking off over the idea of him dying a miserable, lonely death while intubulated. It's just a really grotesque tale all round.

jobotic

I don't want him to die. I'd like him to be frightened by how ill he's been, recover and then stop being a cunt who puts other people's lives at risk by spreading his bullshit.

Dr Rock

He spreads anti-vaccine nonsense that will have gotten people killed. I have little sympathy for him.

Video Game Fan 2000

I don't have any sympathy for him at all.

I'm just not into r/hermancainawards misery parties. One thing if its Trump or Brett Kavanaugh, when its just cartoonists and random facebook posters it gives me a chill. Phwoar let me see the tubes go on, lmao look at this obituary. In the case of Garrison its especially weird when you know the thing that set him down the path was specifically anti-semites targetting him and trying to radicalise him. You don't usually get to see how the sausage is made like that.

Also, the "cum" edits are genuinely laugh out loud funny to me and if he dies I'll never see one ever again and that'd make me sad.

Blumf

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 04, 2021, 05:25:14 PM
He spreads anti-vaccine nonsense that will have gotten people killed. I have little sympathy for him.

Patreon just booted him... sorry... he quit Patreon on principal, because of their pro-Covid Vax stance:

https://grrrgraphics.com/we-are-done-with-patreons-censorship-account-closed/
QuoteBut now the tyranny and censorship is at an insane level. Patreon recently changed their terms of service to include "Covid misinformation" which means you can not question the CDC, NIH narrative about the vaccines or other forms of treatment of the wu-flu.

I received an email from Patreon's "Trust and Safety" department asking us to not only delete our cartoons on the Plannedemic on Patreon's platform, but also asking us to delete the same cartoons on our website grrrgraphics.com because we "fund" it through Patreon.

Um, no you vax tyrants, we will NOT be deleting ANY content especially on the website- Patreon, you have no right to censor our website. See email below...what nerve!

beanheadmcginty

It would be really tragic if he was relying on Patreon income to pay his medical bills.

bgmnts

Imagine being pro and anti vaccination, it feels like being pro or anti look both ways before you cross the road to me.

Ferris

Quote from: Blumf on October 07, 2021, 04:58:38 PM
Patreon just booted him... sorry... he quit Patreon on principal, because of their pro-Covid Vax stance:

https://grrrgraphics.com/we-are-done-with-patreons-censorship-account-closed/

QuotePatreon, you have no right to censor our website

Does he own patreon then? Or is it a private enterprise that can do what it likes?

idunnosomename

annoying thing about trying to figure out Ben is none of his cartoons are dated, I mean you can work them out, but bit of a bugger

I think VGF is pretty bang-on tho. although I'm not sure his kitchy but competent semi-cubism (futurist whatever) was ever anything more than a side hustle

Blumf

An old classic of political text cartooning here:

https://grrrgraphics.com/tentacles-of-tyranny/

"Hard working middle classes"

Although, it's another sign of Ben kinda getting it:

QuoteYou've repeatedly heard Joe Biden talk about getting people to 'pay their fair share.' You thought he meant the centi-billionaires, right? Wrong.

They will move their fortunes into offshore trusts and such. They won't pay. The average citizen will pay. Not only will the super rich pass on any tax hike down to consumers via inflation, they'll also escape any burden Joe wants to lay on them. The middle class and working poor will end up paying. Those without power always end up getting the shaft.

Fambo Number Mive

In Garrison's world, you should get a certificate for being "hard working middle class". What a snowflake.

Who is the woman standing next to Biden and why does she have that badge on?

Wonder if the $600 amount has some relevance. Also, if Garrison is (rightly) concerned about billionaires not paying enough tax, why didn't he call for Buff Trump to do something about it when Trump was in power?