Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:44:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021: well done, he's 13

Started by sevendaughters, January 09, 2021, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2021, 10:18:19 PM
Why is Lennon still in a job? 13 wins from 22?

In a league where he should be walking it, against a very inexperienced manager.

Surely one of the worst managerial performances te past few years?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

5th exit to a 3rd tier side in 20 years. They couldn't give a shit, clearly.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2021, 10:29:20 PM
Real Madrid losing in extra time to ten men *checks* Alco *checks* yano

Not as bad as their thrashing by Alcorcon, who I think were in the 4th division at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlxd-6JiI7M

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2021, 11:58:21 PM
5th exit to a 3rd tier side in 20 years. They couldn't give a shit, clearly.

'Zidane's flower has withered forever'. Bit of an exaggeration that one.

Lost Oliver

Not excusing the challenge, an eye for an eye etc etc but I heard that VVD smushed James' testicles early on in the game. Is there any truth to that? He was out for a few games afterwards.

Newcastle's next manager will be Mark Hughes. Cheap interim to keep us up until the end of the season. He'll then start doing shit next year and the whole circus will repeat itself.

Celtic are gash.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on January 21, 2021, 09:44:08 AM
Not excusing the challenge, an eye for an eye etc etc but I heard that VVD smushed James' testicles early on in the game. Is there any truth to that? He was out for a few games afterwards.

Video here of van Dijk landing "hefty" challenges on both Everton's main attacking threats in the first 90 seconds of the game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZEAndrewHD/status/1317790476926418944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1317790476926418944%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-11849363231085147984.ampproject.net%2F2101152047000%2Fframe.html

Not that Pickford's MMA lunge in retaliation was OK, mind

BlodwynPig

Still no idea how Man City are virtual top of the table if they win their game in hand. Last time I looked they were wallowing below mid-table.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 21, 2021, 09:51:06 AM
Video here of van Dijk landing "hefty" challenges on both Everton's main attacking threats in the first 90 seconds of the game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZEAndrewHD/status/1317790476926418944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1317790476926418944%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-11849363231085147984.ampproject.net%2F2101152047000%2Fframe.html

Not really any comparison between barging someone over and putting in a horrible challenge. The only similarity is that neither player intended to cause injury.

EOLAN

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 21, 2021, 09:51:06 AM

Those clips embody two irritations for me in relation to refereeing inconsistency. 

Of early brutal challenges not me being yellow cards in first 30 minutes that they would certainly have if done after that point.
Also that you have to referee an occasion and challenges in a derby or big rival game should be let go more unlike if it's another League game such as the much vaunted West Brom v Burnley or Manchester United v Southampton.

ersatz99

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2021, 10:05:31 PM
LOVE TELLY

Looks like VAR made the right decision in the Villa game but it's given it must be a shit rule if it yields that outcome, where now for association football?
The Offside Press?
Anyway it was Jon Moss
https://twitter.com/avfc_samir/status/1352032536801779715?s=09

Utter Shit

Quote from: EOLAN on January 21, 2021, 10:28:56 AM
Also that you have to referee an occasion and challenges in a derby or big rival game should be let go more unlike if it's another League game such as the much vaunted West Brom v Burnley or Manchester United v Southampton.

They don't have to let more go, but referees meet the captains beforehand to discuss how they want the game to be officiated. Obviously they don't have a huge amount of scope in that regard, but they are certainly allowed to offer a bit of extra leeway in terms of physicality if both captains agree to it.

EOLAN

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 21, 2021, 11:26:47 AM
They don't have to let more go, but referees meet the captains beforehand to discuss how they want the game to be officiated. Obviously they don't have a huge amount of scope in that regard, but they are certainly allowed to offer a bit of extra leeway in terms of physicality if both captains agree to it.

That one could probably be more the associated commentary that goes with such games than the actual refereeing in fairness.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 21, 2021, 10:26:07 AM
Not really any comparison between barging someone over and putting in a horrible challenge. The only similarity is that neither player intended to cause injury.

Actually I'd say that given Van Dijk put in two heavy challenges on both Everton's key attackers within 75 seconds of kick-off, there was clear intent to "let them know he was there" - less wild and dangerous and with less significant consequences than Pickford's KO move, but planned, deliberate fouls intended to hurt opponents.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 21, 2021, 11:49:09 AM
Actually I'd say that given Van Dijk put in two heavy challenges on both Everton's key attackers within 75 seconds of kick-off, there was clear intent to "let them know he was there" - less wild and dangerous and with less significant consequences than Pickford's KO move, but planned, deliberate fouls intended to hurt opponents.

I wouldn't describe any of those as intended to hurt the opponent, more 'setting out your stall' so to speak, showing that you're up for the game. But I take your point, the impact they had was more intentional than Pickford's challenge.

sevendaughters

Utter Shit

Pickford is exactly the kind of player that challenge suggests he is, ie. a stupid, impulsive and reckless one. Not a malicious one.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 21, 2021, 12:39:20 PM
I wouldn't describe any of those as intended to hurt the opponent, more 'setting out your stall' so to speak, showing that you're up for the game. But I take your point, the impact they had was more intentional than Pickford's challenge.

Yeah, nitpicking now but I meant "hurt" as in "give them a bruised arse" rather than "snap their legs and put them out for the season" which is what Pickford did to him later.

The Lurker

Personally, I think I speak for all fans who team is in the National League's top two when I say that we should just end the season and promote the top two teams and get it over and done with.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 20, 2021, 10:18:19 PM
Why is Lennon still in a job? 13 wins from 22?

Because the only person worse than Lennon at their job is Celtic CEO Peter Lawwell, the most arrogant skinflint in the west. He appointed Lennon in 2019 against the wishes of most fans who knew his limitations because he was a quick-fix cheap and easy option to manage the team at a time of crisis. Well, who do you appoint now we've lurched to another crisis? Martin O'Neill?!

If there were fans at games, I think Lennon would have been booed out of the job a few months ago. Apparently the club's absentee owner Dermot Desmond was so offended by the protests following the League Cup defeat to Ross County in November, he decided to double down and back Lennon to the hilt. He will probably be sacked by the end of the month by which point it's too late to save the season, and in any case I do not trust Lawwell and Desmond to make the right decisions for the club. The problems at Celtic run deep.

Lawwell has been using the cowboys who run/ran Ibrox as an example of why it's better the devil you know, and it was difficult to get a fair hearing for fans' complaints when Celtic were winning everything possible. But his achievements of the last few years had little to do with him and were built on shaky ground. Keeping Celtic ahead of Rangers by a nose and pocketing millions seemed to be working just fine for Lawwell until this season, when all of Celtic's chickens - crap manager, arrogant CEO, poorly recruited and demotivated players - have come home to roost.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2021, 07:13:57 PM
Because the only person worse than Lennon at their job is Celtic CEO Peter Lawwell, the most arrogant skinflint in the west. He appointed Lennon in 2019 against the wishes of most fans who knew his limitations because he was a quick-fix cheap and easy option to manage the team at a time of crisis. Well, who do you appoint now we've lurched to another crisis? Martin O'Neill?!

If there were fans at games, I think Lennon would have been booed out of the job a few months ago. Apparently the club's absentee owner Dermot Desmond was so offended by the protests following the League Cup defeat to Ross County in November, he decided to double down and back Lennon to the hilt. He will probably be sacked by the end of the month by which point it's too late to save the season, and in any case I do not trust Lawwell and Desmond to make the right decisions for the club. The problems at Celtic run deep.

Lawwell has been using the cowboys who run/ran Ibrox as an example of why it's better the devil you know, and it was difficult to get a fair hearing for fans' complaints when Celtic were winning everything possible. But his achievements of the last few years had little to do with him and were built on shaky ground. Keeping Celtic ahead of Rangers by a nose and pocketing millions seemed to be working just fine for Lawwell until this season, when all of Celtic's chickens - crap manager, arrogant CEO, poorly recruited and demotivated players - have come home to roost.

JOHN BARNES IN!

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 21, 2021, 07:13:57 PM

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Lost Oliver on January 21, 2021, 09:44:08 AM
Newcastle's next manager will be Mark Hughes. Cheap interim to keep us up until the end of the season. He'll then start doing shit next year and the whole circus will repeat itself

Nowhere near pathetic or cheap enough.

Cut price Mark Hughes... Paul Lambert?

chveik

Ferris

If we're doing awful Villa managers then I think Rémi "chocolate fire" Garde and Tim Sherwood are available.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fukkin ell

How not to finish a one on one by Divock Origi

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 21, 2021, 08:44:08 PM
Fukkin ell

How not to finish a one on one by Divock Origi

If I didn't have work tomorrow I'd have put away my cider and broken out the gin after that one.

Wonderful Butternut

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Ha you just know that horrid diving cunt was gagging for that.

Just gotta get through this and Spurs and then we actually grt to watch some football. Don't even care about results, I just hate this shit, shit, shit football.

BlodwynPig