Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Das Reboot on September 15, 2021, 06:34:16 PM
It's the mint part that I find most disturbing, though that is because I'm 100% correct in the assertion that mint in savoury dishes is an abomination.

Alright then clever clogs is toothpaste a main course or a dessert

Malcy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2021, 06:28:38 PM
I tired them the other day. Was quite intrigued but didn't really hit the spot for me.

I also got these which were decent:

I'll have a look out for those but reckon I'll need to try a bigger Co-Op than the cupboard sized one next to me!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Malcy on September 15, 2021, 06:13:45 PM
Picked up a big bag of these earlier. Not tried them yet but reckon they'll be nice.

Bottom's let itself go.

imitationleather

Looks like two guys checking out the catering at an audition to replace Peter Hook in New Order.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Those naan chips are tasty but quite hard work on the teeth after a few.

Sebastian Cobb

I noticed that Walkers had some new flavours on promotion, in place of the bland Hot Dog and Chicken Tikka ones promoted during the football.

I didn't see the Madras, sadly, will need to keep an eye out, so got the Thai Green Chilli ones and they're almost nice, but a bit unusual, they taste quite creamy, there's a hint of something curry like and a bit of chicken crisp flavouring. Would eat again.

The Chicken Burrito I'm expecting to be very similar to Roast Chicken. And well, fish and chip flavour snacks are nothing new and usually a bit crap.

Cold Meat Platter

The madras was shit. Just the usual weak bog standard 'tikka masala' flavour.

Fr.Bigley

Aldi do their own carbon copy version of walker's sensations, they're called "perfections".

Chicken and Thyme..absolutely the closest thing to the best crisp ever.

80p a bag, bargain.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Heading down potatotown tomorrow to grab me sum them Walkers limmydishuns.

Kankurette

Steak and Ale Pie Walkers were fit tbf. I'd like to try the Thai Green Curry ones.

H-O-W-L

What is the true arse-blasting, mouth-wrecking salt and vinegar crisp out there? I've always been quite keen on Squares, as they can be deceptively arse-blasting. It's not Coop, they're just relatively strong.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Replies From View

Those fish and chips crisps must be the worst.  An unmitigated whirl of "grease" flavouring.

Replies From View

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 22, 2021, 04:46:43 PM
What is the true arse-blasting, mouth-wrecking salt and vinegar crisp out there? I've always been quite keen on Squares, as they can be deceptively arse-blasting. It's not Coop, they're just relatively strong.

You'd have to go back to childhood, I think.  There were those chipsticks things that had plenty of salt and vinegar careening through them in the early 90s, but nowadays they're like toothpaste.  I suspect the same goes for Discos.

Found those lamb and mint Seabrooks in my local Sainsburys as they have expanded their crisp selection dramatically after getting rid of their fresh counters.

Yeah, not bad. They taste like a mild mix of roast beef, prawn cocktail and salt and vinegar flavours, but not as hideous as that looks written down. Not sure I'd go out of my way to buy them again over other crisps, but I wouldn't run screaming from a bag if it were offered.

Replies From View

Why does lamb and mint have even a hint of prawn cocktail in it?  If that's the case you are in no position at all to be saying "not bad".

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Replies From View on September 22, 2021, 05:07:42 PM
You'd have to go back to childhood, I think.  There were those chipsticks things that had plenty of salt and vinegar careening through them in the early 90s, but nowadays they're like toothpaste.  I suspect the same goes for Discos.

Chipsticks are still salt and vinegary but it's a very "yer dad's flavor" sort of salt and vinegar; the kind that's scented to seem like a magnum round to the mouth but in reality it's just a very middle of the road taste for a clapped out old geezer.

Replies From View

I'm not my own dad if that's what you're implying mr crisps

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Replies From View on September 22, 2021, 07:48:36 PM
I'm not my own dad if that's what you're implying mr crisps

Robert Crisps, beloved inventor of wacky flavors like porridge and wazzgobbler. Held a "GOLDEN CRISP" competition for five lucky winners to have a tour, and the star prize was a lifetime supply of crisps; specifically Jelly Bean & Monterey Jack Cheese flavor.

Hung himself in the derelict of his factory in 1995.

Cold Meat Platter

Supermarket own-brand crisps used to be good for really OTT salt and vinegar flavours. Probably not any more, Lidl's are no great shakes.

Found an Ebay seller that sells salt and vinegar seasoning in kilo tubs though so might take matters into my own hands.

Malcy

Really enjoying those Hairy Burger Bikers or whatever they are called. Not bad at £1.30 a bag either. Remind me of those Morrisons ridged Steak & (i think) ale one's from their finest range or whatever.

And surely the strongest S&V flavour ones were the Discos with the bomb sachet in them from years back.

stonkers

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 22, 2021, 04:46:43 PM

Discos are the strongest I've encountered. Golden Wonder salt and vinegar are possibly around the level of the Co-op ones.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 22, 2021, 07:44:04 PM
Why does lamb and mint have even a hint of prawn cocktail in it?  If that's the case you are in no position at all to be saying "not bad".

Sweetness/vinegariness.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 20, 2021, 07:41:43 PM
I noticed that Walkers had some new flavours on promotion, in place of the bland Hot Dog and Chicken Tikka ones promoted during the football.

I didn't see the Madras, sadly, will need to keep an eye out, so got the Thai Green Chilli ones and they're almost nice, but a bit unusual, they taste quite creamy, there's a hint of something curry like and a bit of chicken crisp flavouring. Would eat again.

The Chicken Burrito I'm expecting to be very similar to Roast Chicken. And well, fish and chip flavour snacks are nothing new and usually a bit crap.

I quite liked the Chip Shop ones, a bit Lemony.

Sherman Krank

Kankurette

Do the chippy ones taste like Scampi Fries?

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Kankurette on September 22, 2021, 09:51:26 PM
Do the chippy ones taste like Scampi Fries?

no he said mostly the jif cleaner from when the aluminium surfaces haven't been properly rinsed yet

Blumf

Live testing of Seabrook's Cream Cheese & Chive Crinkle Cut

Pretty much like all cream cheese & chive crisps, lacking something. Cheese & onion will always be the winner in that fight.

gib

Quote from: Replies From View on September 22, 2021, 10:00:45 PM
no he said mostly the jif cleaner from when the aluminium surfaces haven't been properly rinsed yet

That doesn't sound like something your dad would say.