Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:20:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crisps [split topic]

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 22, 2021, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 30, 2021, 09:50:05 PM
Sorry. I read that as like they only allowed you to buy two bags per person.
They were making you buy extra, which would be the opposite of a famine.
I appreciate you all putting up with my idiocy.

No! One pack was free. Two for the normal price of one bag.

seepage

In the Co-op yesterday:
One small bag of Walkers Cheese & Onion = 90p
Six-pack of Walkers Cheese & Onion = £1.25

I assume they think single bags will normally only be purchased as part of a "meal deal".

Replies From View

I still carry around the price expectations of my ten year old self when it comes to crisps, chocolates and sweets.  90p for a packet of crisps or a Drifter bar?  Absolutely not, thank you.  I will pay between 15p and 25p and you'll be happy with it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Abhorrent stuff, but try getting a bag of crisps anywhere outside Lidl in Ireland for less than €1.19, even a small bag. The crisp industry is mad on power over here, seen some big bags go for €3.80. Needs bringing to its knees, then kneecapping. A crisp cap, like rent controls would be appropriate.

imitationleather

Interestingly enough, I used to go to school with a Chris P'Cap.

buttgammon

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 01, 2021, 07:07:03 AM
Abhorrent stuff, but try getting a bag of crisps anywhere outside Lidl in Ireland for less than €1.19, even a small bag. The crisp industry is mad on power over here, seen some big bags go for €3.80. Needs bringing to its knees, then kneecapping. A crisp cap, like rent controls would be appropriate.

Some people sum up the absurd neoliberal mess that is Ireland in terms of the rent crisis, but the biggest issue for me is the crisp crisis. It's capitalism gone mad, and the rest of us suffer while Mr Tayto and the Hunky Dory twat roll around laughing at us in a cocaine-induced daze.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 01, 2021, 07:07:03 AM

You're just using kilometres instead of miles because it generates bigger numbers and makes you look wealthy as all fuck

amateur

mothman

Utterly disappointing on every level. I've had ready salted crisps with more flavour. Even as rebranded paprika flavour they fall so short of the mark they needn't have bothered.

touchingcloth

Does anywhere do crisps which are fried exclusively in either olive oil or animal fat? I found some olive oil Lay's recently and was VERY excited, but on closer inspection they were 50/50 olive and sunflower.

Gurke and Hare

Doesn't pure olive oil burn at too low a temperature to properly deep fry in it?

Gurke and Hare

Beef dripping crisps should be a thing though.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 03, 2021, 03:38:44 PM
Does anywhere do crisps which are fried exclusively in either olive oil or animal fat? I found some olive oil Lay's recently and was VERY excited, but on closer inspection they were 50/50 olive and sunflower.

Islington Waitrose used to sell crisps in a big pink packet cooked in olive oil and dusted with sea salt. They cost 4 quid a bag and tasted like total shit.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 03, 2021, 03:46:04 PM
Beef dripping crisps should be a thing though.

You can melt down pork scratchings and simmer your salt n shake inside

Steven88

Quote from: mothman on October 03, 2021, 02:33:38 PM

They taste like smokie bacon. The Thai sweet chicken is the best of the meaty McCoy's.
Utterly disappointing on every level. I've had ready salted crisps with more flavour. Even as rebranded paprika flavour they fall so short of the mark they needn't have bothered.

Neomod

Quote from: Replies From View on October 01, 2021, 07:04:44 AM
I still carry around the price expectations of my ten year old self when it comes to crisps, chocolates and sweets.  90p for a packet of crisps or a Drifter bar?  Absolutely not, thank you.  I will pay between 15p and 25p and you'll be happy with it.

When I were a lad I remember Sainsbury's own brand crisps were 4p a pack circa mid 70's.

Looks like Johnny Trunk missed a trick with this one from copyright Bermuda Triangle, Redbubble.

The Mollusk

Not a crisp bit fuck starting a new thread.

These are fucking excellent. Massive whack of peppery spice, absolutely delicious. Just inhaled what looks like it should be a sharing/snack bowl bag in about 10 mins.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not even nearly a crisp. Clearly inhaling that bag has you all hepped up off goofballs as your post is wilfully non-compliant. Get him out.

Kankurette

Oriental Beef and Chargrilled Chicken are best McCoy's but you can never get them anywhere. I do love the Thai Chicken ones though.

Of all the new limited edition Walker's flavours I've tried so far, it's Lamb Madras > Fish & Chips > Thai Green Curry. It's odd because I love Thai food but it has a weird aftertaste. Not had the Chicken Burrito one yet.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 06, 2021, 02:04:50 PM

These are fucking excellent. Massive whack of peppery spice, absolutely delicious. Just inhaled what looks like it should be a sharing/snack bowl bag in about 10 mins.

Are they even slightly more expensive than a bag of unpeppered cashews?

I'm beginning to experience the private indignation of all those people who first encountered ready salted crisps and couldn't believe that the concept could warrant any kind of price increase. 

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO CARRYING A PEPPERMILL AROUND WITH YOU ALL DAY

The Mollusk

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 06, 2021, 02:09:02 PM
Not even nearly a crisp. Clearly inhaling that bag has you all hepped up off goofballs as your post is wilfully non-compliant. Get him out.

I didn't claim it was even nearly a crisp. In fact I stated the exact opposite beforehand. You're very nearly a dead man though, once I find you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 06, 2021, 02:20:10 PM
I didn't claim it was even nearly a crisp. In fact I stated the exact opposite beforehand. You're very nearly a dead man though, once I find you.

I'll be here, consuming... Crisps.

Jittlebags

Had these on Friday. Expensive, but not at all bad.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, spied those in so called Home Bargains, but I couldn't justify the price. Also, Steak flavour again. Ehh, so done with that flavour.

Blumf

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 06, 2021, 02:04:50 PM

Cashew bastards!!

https://www.slowfood.com/cashew-nuts-a-toxic-industry/
QuoteIn Vietnam, reports going back as far as 2011 from Human Rights Watch and reported by Time suggest that drug addicts in forced-labor 'rehabilitation' camps are engaged in the production and processing, and "those who refuse to work are beaten with truncheons, given electric shocks, locked in isolation, deprived of food and water, and obliged to work even longer hours". Why might they refuse to work? Because the anacardic acid present in the fruit that cashew nuts grow from is caustic, and burns the skin. All this for "a few dollars a month"—all to ensure the lowest export prices possible to supermarkets in the West.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 06, 2021, 02:32:32 PM
Ah, spied those in so called Home Bargains, but I couldn't justify the price. Also, Steak flavour again. Ehh, so done with that flavour.

They did have egg and chips flavour as well, but that sounded wrong.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blumf on October 06, 2021, 02:36:48 PM
Cashew bastards!!

https://www.slowfood.com/cashew-nuts-a-toxic-industry/

Argh jesus. Don't eat them very often but think I might eat them a little less than that.

Replies From View

I'm going to eat them even harder, if anything

Fr.Bigley

Jasha

Quote from: Jittlebags on October 06, 2021, 02:38:19 PM
They did have egg and chips flavour as well, but that sounded wrong.

IKEA had picked mushroom crisps lining the winding back and forth queue at the weekend