Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 780
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:19:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Joss Whedon

Started by Custard, February 11, 2021, 01:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Some of the Buffy cast are coming forward on Whedon's abusive behaviour on set

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56023198

It's been well known for years that Sarah Michelle Gellar no longer talks to him, and she's come forward to support her castmates, so there could be more to come from her. Either way he sounds like a bullying cunt

Butchers Blind

Why does this thread and the Manson one have a little phone beside the title?

touchingcloth

QuoteCharisma Carpenter played Cordelia Chase

I see.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on February 11, 2021, 01:43:10 PM
Why does this thread and the Manson one have a little phone beside the title?

Click the phone symbol if you too have been Joss Whedoned or Marlon Mansoned.

Bazooka

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 11, 2021, 02:07:07 PM

You git, was just about to say that, well not Marlon Mansoned, that is great ha.

bgmnts

So he's just a bit of an arsehole then?

Bernice

Famous Mortimer

I remember it being fairly common knowledge at the time that Carpenter had been fired because she got pregnant; I assumed Whedon's continuing success and beloved stature meant there was more to it. Apparently not.

Custard

The little phone symbol is automatic when you post a thread on your phone. But also because it looks like we're calling Batman to go and kick Joss Whedon's head in

Jerzy Bondov

I'd love to be one of those 'never liked this cunt' people but in this case I'm not. I even really liked his Much Ado About Nothing, filmed in his big house with his famous mates. But his career should be beyond over. Let some people who aren't abusers make some TV shows and films instead, thanks. He's out of order in my opinion.

MojoJojo

This feels a bit weird. I don't want to defend him for being a cunt, but this is being presented like a "me too" thing but there's no actually claims of sexual abuse. It feels like there are rumours of sexual abuse but no one is willing to come forward so everything is skirting round it.

Magnum Valentino

Could you make the argument that with the level of comedy in the first Avengers film that he's also responsible for the lack of tonal variety in comic adaptations too?

It is it fairer to blame the studios trying to ape his style because it looks like easy money?

Blumf

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 11, 2021, 02:07:07 PM

Tool free, dial - 0800-CUNTED

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Bazooka on February 11, 2021, 02:10:11 PM
You git, was just about to say that, well not Marlon Mansoned, that is great ha.

Marlon is the middle brother between Charles and Marilyn and he's a more prolific abuser though his music career never took off.

MojoJojo

Huh, just discovered that Joss Whedon's grandfather, father and two brothers are all screenwriters (along with other things). Also, none of them have a first name with more than one syllable.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assume he is pretty much finished. He just got booted off the HBO show he was doing. He made some statement about it being a mutual decision, but the timing seems highly suspect.

I used to think his vampire shows were very overrated (and always thought his feminist credentials were a dubious) but I started coming around to his stuff with Firefly, particularly the spinoff film, and Avengers 1 is one of the best nights out at the cinema I've ever experienced. I've even been enjoying the vampire stuff recently on All4.

You could see hints of shirtiness, if not outright shitiness, in the way he'd always blame the actors whenever his dialogue got criticised.

I hope Alan Tudyk doesn't get cancelled by association. He's been sticking up for Whedon after the Ray Fisher accusations.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 11, 2021, 03:37:18 PM
Could you make the argument that with the level of comedy in the first Avengers film that he's also responsible for the lack of tonal variety in comic adaptations too?

It is it fairer to blame the studios trying to ape his style because it looks like easy money?
I reckon the first Iron Man film has a lot to do with that.

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 11, 2021, 03:37:14 PM
This feels a bit weird. I don't want to defend him for being a cunt, but this is being presented like a "me too" thing but there's no actually claims of sexual abuse. It feels like there are rumours of sexual abuse but no one is willing to come forward so everything is skirting round it.
Abuse is abuse, no?

Endicott

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 11, 2021, 03:37:14 PM

There aren't even rumours of any sexual abuses are there? He's being accused of being a bully, and of being mean.

dead-ced-dead

I remember reading James Masters' own story of how Joss is a bullying cunt, but it seemed to get buried a bit:

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2550344/buffy-the-vampire-slayers-james-marsters-recalls-awkward-encounter-with-joss-whedon

QuoteI came along, and I wasn't designed to be a romantic character. But then the audience reacted that way to it. And I remember he backed me up against a wall one day, and he was just like, 'I don't care how popular you are, kid, you're dead. You hear me? Dead. Dead!' And I was just like, 'Uh, you know, it's your football, man. OK.' - Masters

MojoJojo

Quote from: Endicott on February 11, 2021, 03:56:13 PM

There aren't even rumours of any sexual abuses are there? He's being accused of being a bully, and of being mean.

I haven't heard any rumours, no. But the way this is being reported makes me wonder if they're out there.
Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 11, 2021, 03:53:58 PM
Abuse is abuse, no?
No. Sexual abuse is clearly different. Things get very silly if you pretend all types of abuse are the same.

I mean, I don't want to defend him, and it sounds like there was a real problem with his behaviour. And it's probably the same systems that enabled him to do that that enabled the sexual abuses in other cases. But I think it's worth making the distinction.

Bernice

Sure, but I'm not seeing the blurring of those lines, just people calling him out for being an abusive bully of a boss.

Johnny Yesno

Incensed about giving Joss stick.

frajer

Joss certainly has Whedon his chips.

Good it's coming to light. Feels like it's been on the horizon for a while as his ex-wife's public letter from a few years ago about his power trips, cheating, abuse of position and abuse in general made for a grim read.

Ambient Sheep

Here's what Charisma Carpenter actually wrote.  Rather worse than the Beeb's summary.

https://twitter.com/btvsarchive/status/1359539302154272769

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Bernice on February 11, 2021, 04:34:39 PM
Sure, but I'm not seeing the blurring of those lines, just people calling him out for being an abusive bully of a boss.

Quote from: Endicott on February 11, 2021, 03:56:13 PM

If Michelle Trachtenberg isn't hinting at sexual abuse here, then I'm not sure I understand why she's emphasising her age at the time and "not appropriate" in this comment she wrote in response to Sarah Michelle Gellar's Instagram post:
Quote from: Michelle TrachtenbergThank you @sarahmgellar for saying this. I am brave enough now as a 35 year old woman....To repost this. Because. This must. Be known. As a teenager. With his not appropriate behavior....very. Not. Appropriate.

El Unicornio, mang

She was 20 when Buffy started, wasn't she?

(any abusive behaviour is inexcusable regardless of her age, obvi)

Edit: misread the quote

Zetetic

Because wasn't appropriate in the ways described by Carpenter, for example, and at the time Trachtenberg was a teenager (and therefore likely to find it harder to know how to push back against it). For example.

QuoteShe was 20 when Buffy started, wasn't she?
15-18.

MojoJojo

Quick look at wiki says she was 15.