Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,476
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Who wants to hear my "I met mark proksch and Matt Berry on the street in parkdale, Toronto while I was very high and I had to apologize to mark because I didn't really know his work" anecdote? Spoiler: it's not very good.

Blue Jam

@Ferris, what we really want to know is: Would you sit in pie and cry for the return of your baseball cards?

;) Matt Berry? Are you sure it wasn't Lalo?

Ferris

Possibly, I had smoked a MASSIVE bifter.

I don't know the context and (thank god) haven't got into collecting baseball cards but some of them can be worth millions so yeah, it's plausible if I had a Mike trout rookie card or something I'd sit in a pie and weep until I got it back.

jobotic

Quote from: Ferris on May 27, 2022, 09:18:08 PMNo, it's in Missouri. I think some of the city limits extend into the next county and into Kansas (so there is some Kansas City actually in Kansas) but it's a common misnomer because it isn't really. That nice mr trump made that mistake a few years ago but with all his gaffs (remember he tried to buy Greenland?!) who even remembers these minor ones.

The Kansas City royals are based there, for whatever that's worth. They knocked out the best Jays team for a generation back in 2015 via some Bartman-esque cheating involving a bearded child. All very surreal and I'm certainly not bitter. They were still a likeable team (Cain, Merriweather, Morales) so there you go.

I've never been summoned to a thread before, how exciting!

What?

Ferris

Quote from: jobotic on May 27, 2022, 09:34:40 PMWhat?

If a ball goes over the outfield wall, it's a home run. If it's going to land just short but someone reaches over and catches it, it's ruled a double via fan interference and the fan is thrown out.

*please put on tin foil hats, they're under your seats*

Because nobody wanted a Canadian team in the World Series, this pretty obvious bit of fan interference was ruled legitimate even though that's FUCKING BULLSHIT. Follow that link and watch the video, the fan clearly reaches out and over and the ball was never going to clear the fence but the review room gave it anyway because Canada doesn't draw crowds and TV audiences in the same way 2 American teams would.

Re: bearded child, this is the person who caught it and I think he was 13 at the time but he's in Missouri which is America's Cornwall.

I am still too angry to check the facts beyond that surface level skim and my (furious) memory so might have aspects of that wrong but can't bring myself to review it all.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I bet he's the one who always gets sent into the offy to buy the Frosty Jacks.

jobotic

QuoteThis content is not of interest to people available in your location

Actually I can understand why you're so angry. I will never forgive or forget what happened in the 1999 League One play-off final. As long as I fucking live.

Blue Jam

Rich Uncle Skeleton

jobotic

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Ferris on May 27, 2022, 09:43:18 PMIf a ball goes over the outfield wall, it's a home run. If it's going to land just short but someone reaches over and catches it, it's ruled a double via fan interference and the fan is thrown out.

Wait whaaaat?
Forgive my ignorance but a fan interferes like this and it becomes a Double Home Run?

Ferris

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on May 28, 2022, 04:39:27 PMWait whaaaat?
Forgive my ignorance but a fan interferes like this and it becomes a Double Home Run?

Sorry, a double as in you go to second base so you haven't scored a run but you are on base and may score a run if the batter after you records a hit. A home run is "everyone on the basepaths scores, including the batter" so it's really valuable because teams only score 4 or 5 runs a game.

The automatic double (or more accurately, advance two bases) is a fudge, if a fan hadn't caught the ball then who knows how quickly the outfielder would have got the ball back to the infielders? It's very unlikely to drop for a triple (runner gets to third base) but you'd have to be slow as molasses to only get to first so they call it a double (runner put on at second) which is probably about right and we all move on with our life. There's an argument about fairness because a runner on first in this kind of play is held at third because they only advance two bases (when they could very probably score on a double because fielding teams usually throw behind them for boring defensive reasons) but that's a whole thing and probably too technical to get into.

The double home run is still the stuff of a madman's dream. Perhaps one day.

I will talk about baseball indefinitely given half a chance. Don't enable me.

Blue Jam

Dex Sawash

Junglist

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 28, 2022, 06:13:13 PMWe've got 6 weeks to kill.

Let's all write Better Call Saul fanfiction that slowly becomes more erotic and Cronenbergian

Custard

I've said it from the start, and I still believe this show will have some kind of happy ending, with Jimmy/Saul/Gene meeting up with Kim once more in the final episode.

The alternatives of Kim dying, or Kim or Saul turning on the other just aren't as appealing, and I think it'd be genuinely heartwarming and satisfying to see them walk off hand in hand, to try to lead "better" lives together. A happy ending, compared to Breaking Bad's utterly bleak one

But I guess it really comes down to whether they (namely Saul) deserve redemption and a second chance or not? The way they really did dick over Howard, which ultimately lead to his death, was massively cunty. Plus of course the stuff Saul helped happen in BrBa

Maybe Gene will be put through the ringer even more before that last episode, so it'll feel more earned

6 weeks. Arghhhhh

BeardFaceMan

Did they give a reason why they didn't start this season off with Gene?

Custard

I assume it's so they can switch to that period for the final one or two episodes? So full episodes with Gene and where he'll ultimately end up

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 28, 2022, 06:46:42 PMDid they give a reason why they didn't start this season off with Gene?

Peter Gould talks a bit about this in this recent interview:

QuoteSpeaking of characters who I care about deeply, when it comes to 601, when did you decide or realize that you weren't going to start this season with Gene?

As we started talking about the whole season, we realized that this season has a very different structure from the other seasons of the show. It has a different structure, it goes into places that we've never been before, there are shocks of many kinds, and it seemed like starting it in a different way was the right thing to do, waiting to see Gene Takavic might make sense at this point. It's no big surprise that Gene is part of the show, because that's the key art: Bob as Gene Takavic, the Cinnabon manager, either taking off or putting on a Saul Goodman sport coat. So I think it's a pretty good bet that we're going to see Gene, but maybe waiting to see him is the right move.

This is a little bit like the question about how your thoughts have evolved on how you wanted to utilize Walter and Jesse, but over seven years, has your perspective changed on what Gene represents to this story, whether it has become more of a tragic fate or a weirdly optimistic destination at some point?

When we started the show, it felt very much like the period at the end of a sentence. But then as the seasons went on, you started seeing that there's more story to be told. Of course, he gets recognized by that taxi driver in Omaha and he thinks about running again and he doesn't. And that tells you that there's more to that story, and it's a story that I'd be interested in seeing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/better-call-saul-season-6-premiere-peter-gould-interview-1235131511/

JamesTC

My wild guess based on the tenuous of evidence is that the last three episodes will mainly switch to Gene with the odd flashback. Reason being that each season has previously been ten episodes with ten different openings. By episode 11, they'll either need to repeat or come up with something new.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I wasn't aware Cinnabon existed in this country until I saw a sign for it at some service station we were driving past. Has anyone eaten there? Is it shit? It looks shit. I don't think the British have a great lust for cinnamon like Americans seem to.

Mobbd

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on May 28, 2022, 07:30:56 PMI wasn't aware Cinnabon existed in this country until I saw a sign for it at some service station we were driving past. Has anyone eaten there? Is it shit? It looks shit. I don't think the British have a great lust for cinnamon like Americans seem to.

I have quite the sweet tooth but generally try to abstain. I visited a cinnabon in (I think) Canada and vowed to never do it again because it would be the end of me. Fucking yum. Just a massive ball of dough and sugar to weigh you down. Stong reccomend if you have some semblence of self-control and a low shame threshold.

Custard

I forgot how sinister the scene is when the two strangers approach Gene and recognise him
https://youtu.be/YFSG5F89VyM

Dex Sawash

Cinnabon does a bread pudding with the day old ones that is the cinnacarb equivalent of depleted uranium. Not even this notorious dozen donut-eating cunt can finish a serving of it. That might be Cinnamonster who does that though.

Fun fact, 10 years I walked past the Cinnamonster in our now-dead mall before I clocked that it was not called Chinamonster.

Only 5.3 weeks to go now.

grainger

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 25, 2022, 08:27:56 PMNot my observation, but I have seen it pointed out that Howard carefully rotating the ginger ale can foreshadowed Lalo patiently screwing the silencer onto his pistol. It also represented Howard's futile attempt to try and contain an explosive situation. The chat with Gary Cary wasn't smalltalk, everything in this show points towards something.

Also just check out the ghost of Chuck watching over proceedings, forgotten by the young 'uns just as Howard will be. Ah, maybe there are more important things:

Interesting shot, making Howard and Chuck alike. Does this suggest that Kim and Jimmy's plan was emotionally aimed at Chuck? Edit: it's been answered somewhat upthread - misplaced guilt about Chuck's death projected onto Howard.

Dex Sawash

Have researched and it is Chinamonster that does bun bread pudding.

Could feel the density just cut/pasting that image url

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Dex Sawash

Was hoping for 'looks like it fell out of your mum's arse'

Blue Jam