Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

Saul had never been depicted as being able of murdering someone directly.

In the house of Cancer Guy, there was a large piano. It was pretty obvious that the guy reminded of both Walter and Chuck, which was enough to push him to the limit and consider killing him, except that he fell asleep.
And now that it was established that he could kill somebody, it made the whole scene with Marion much more effective, while we would have regarded it as a bluff without the early part of the episode.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 11, 2022, 11:59:13 PMJimmy is in the dock, he stands as the Judge addresses him.
"Do you have counsel, Mr. McGill?" he asks.
Jimmy's about to say, 'no, your honor'.
The doors swing open.
In walks

cgi Lionel Hutz

Roll credits.

fuckitpost

Blue Jam

"All rise..."

Jimmy looks anxious as the foreman stands to give the verdict.

"We find the defendent... NOT GUILTY"

Gasps from the public gallery. This man is as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo, how could he possibly have got off scott-free? He must have one hell of a lawyer. Hang on- who is that camp, rat-faced man walking out of court with an awkward gait but an unmistakable swagger? He reveals himself as he turns and declares to the judge and jury...

"You just got LITT UP!"

Jimmy is a free man! He marries Meghan Markle and lives happily ever after.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rev+ on August 12, 2022, 01:43:50 AMThey've been a mixed bag. I really liked 'Nippy', but 'Breaking Bad' was possibly the worst episode of the whole lot.  Then we have 'Waterworks', which sprung back to be one of the best episodes of the series despite it being deliberately tedious for half it's running time.

We'll know next week how it all comes together, but although I am enjoying the episodes, it does feel like a bit of a misfire.  Just a little bit flat. 

I still don't think there's been a single bad episode of this show, but "Point and Shoot" was probably the least satisfying for me. While it did tie up a lot of loose ends and set Jimmy's final descent into Saul in motion it did feel a bit rushed, and a bit daft. Somehow more daft than "Black and Blue", which I enjoyed a lot more on a rewatch.

I wasn't looking forward to seeing Walt and Jesse so I was surprised to enjoy their episodes a lot more. "Point and Shoot" somehow felt a lot more Breaking Bad-y.

Enzo

Quote from: kalowski on August 11, 2022, 11:27:34 AMJimmy is in the gas chamber. Mike's granddaughter has been given special dispensation by the state to press the button and the posion falls.
Suddenly a door bursts open and it's Walter White (yes, he's alive) with the M60 from the BrBa finale. He blasts open the windows and pulls Jimmy out and into the back seat a waiting car, driven by Jesse. Kim is in the back seat too.
Walt gets in the front and says, "Hit it" and Jesse drives off, to the sound of 'Piña Colada'. They laugh and smile as they drive. "Now that's an exit," says Jimmy as they take the turnoff that says Mexico.

Writes itself, this stuff.

Just a quick note on this. Is there any way we can get the four of them to stand in a line wearing sunglasses while "Livin' la vida loca" plays in the background?

kalowski

kalowski

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: kalowski on August 12, 2022, 09:42:35 PMSaul falls through the bar.
"Drink up, Kim, we're leaving."
Stewart Lee looks on disdainfully.

Rev+

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 12, 2022, 02:43:55 PMI still don't think there's been a single bad episode of this show, but "Point and Shoot" was probably the least satisfying for me. While it did tie up a lot of loose ends and set Jimmy's final descent into Saul in motion it did feel a bit rushed, and a bit daft.

Yeah, I banged on about that after it went out - it's a very tense hour, and from a storytelling perspective it does what it needs to do.  It just mangles the characters a bit in order to get various plot points in place.

OK:  have we all accepted that not a single one of us will be happy about how this ends, however it ends?  I'm ready to be annoyed.  One last prediction, then:

Spoiler alert
Those cops with the disappointing tacos will be back, and will be crucial to how this wraps up.
[close]

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I have never had a fish taco. From what I remember the one in the episode that the copper was complaining about had pollock in it, which is a crap fish. Think I'll stick to chicken or beef.

Lost Oliver

had a vegan fish taco the other day. made with banana or something and it was fucking horrible. maybe all fish, even fake fish, tacos are all shite?

Blue Jam

I've just realised the other cop asking why he insisted on ordering fish when they're thousands of miles from the ocean was another callback to BB, the bit where Hank asks Marie why she's eating sushi when Albuquerque is thousands of miles from the ocean.

Dex Sawash

Fish tacos always have some mayonnaisey shite spunked all over them. Runny mixture of sour cream (good) and mayo (bad). You sometimes get this tribute on nachos1 too.

1. Ignacio fans enter thread

Dex Sawash

Looked up nachos a while back. The dish was invented by an Ignacio, and nacho the  nickname existed long before nacho the food.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 13, 2022, 10:10:45 AMFish tacos always have some mayonnaisey shite spunked all over them. Runny mixture of sour cream (good) and mayo (bad).

Miracle Whip?

Just learned that Titusville is just over the water from Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Centre. Gene is obviously going to come to Florida, sweep Kim off her feet, steal a space shuttle and whisk her away from her boring life on Earth so they can live happily ever after eating mint chip space ice cream and doing lots of zero-gravity boffing.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 13, 2022, 10:19:35 AMMiracle Whip?

I think MW is pretty much a 1:1 substitute for mayo. Probably came about as a "healthy" alternative in 50s ala margarine. I think its day is mostly gone except for boomers now judging by shelf space at the stores. Wife uses Duke's (dyoox) like Gomer says his buddy's name on Gomer Pyle USMC

dontpaintyourteeth

Miracle Whip just another thing that got invented by US food manufacturers as a means of using high fructose corn syrup in absolutely everything

Blue Jam

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: thugler on August 11, 2022, 10:39:04 PMIs everyone enjoying these new episodes as much as previous ones? I've been mostly down on this show as a whole anyway, but have just about managed to keep watching. But this is dreck. Just feels like it's been stretched out beyond all meaning, feel similarly to how I did with the el camino stuff. All they can think of for Jimmy to be doing is to inevitably start pulling scams again. The references and call backs, i really don't care, it's like an edgar wright thing where they are stuffed in for no reason but to make the nerds feel clever.

I feel like they've wrung everything possible out of these characters and there's little point to it anymore. I don't really feel like it made sense for the fall out of the lalo stuff to have had this effect on them. Jimmy is still way too different to Saul in breaking bad, and then for some reason he is exactly like that again.

Breaking bad suffered from this a bit after it's best seasons, but there was just about enough at stake to make it worthwhile getting to the end. This is just meandering like hell.

But everyone seems to love it so i guess I'm just weird

Mate.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 12, 2022, 02:43:55 PMI still don't think there's been a single bad episode of this show, but "Point and Shoot" was probably the least satisfying for me. While it did tie up a lot of loose ends and set Jimmy's final descent into Saul in motion it did feel a bit rushed, and a bit daft. Somehow more daft than "Black and Blue", which I enjoyed a lot more on a rewatch.

I wasn't looking forward to seeing Walt and Jesse so I was surprised to enjoy their episodes a lot more. "Point and Shoot" somehow felt a lot more Breaking Bad-y.

I really liked "Point and Shoot" but it was clear they didn't know what to do about Lalo, so his demise played out quite strangely and quickly.

Blue Jam

The detail of Glenn's mandals on Kim's bedroom floor was the icing on that bleak little cake.

Blue Jam

BCS won a few Hollywood Critics Association awards and Beardy Bob had a few drinks:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/hca-tv-awards-broadcast-cable-2022-full-winners-list-1235198593/

A tie with Succession for Best Drama Series? That's unusual. Love Succession tho

grainger

I'm remembering a scene from a much earlier episode where Jimmy has a new office (at HHM?) and there's a weird button on the wall that has a label saying "do not press". He immediately presses it. Or did I imagine this, or remember it from something else?

Assuming it did happen in BCS, it would be weird if the scene wasn't meant to say something significant about his personality. Presumably, it means that he has an urge to do the opposite of what he's told, not matter how rash that might be.

Everyone else here seems to pick up on subtleties in the series much better than I do. So I'd love to know how you all feel that scene fits in with his behaviour in the current season (if it does)?

Blue Jam

It was the episode "Switch", where Jimmy begins working at Davis and Main. That was something of a bookend for the episode, because the cold open has Gene locked in with the bins, with the option to use the emergency exit, but on seeing the warning that pressing the button will alert the police, he decides against it. Then it ends with Jimmy being warned not to press a button but being unable to resist. It shows how Jimmy has a problem with authority and is a self-saboteur, while as "Gene" he has to follow the rules or risk arrest.

(my favourite episode, that one)

dontpaintyourteeth

that moment is one I feel like citing on reddit whenever somebody goes on one of those surprisingly frequent "fuck Chuck, Jimmy wouldn't have acted out if he'd given him a job" rants- dickhead brother or not, he can't fit into that corporate world and that's a tiny example why.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 14, 2022, 04:42:16 PMthat moment is one I feel like citing on reddit whenever somebody goes on one of those surprisingly frequent "fuck Chuck, Jimmy wouldn't have acted out if he'd given him a job" rants- dickhead brother or not, he can't fit into that corporate world and that's a tiny example why.

Exactly. It's like a little warning sign that he just couldn't be trusted to behave himself. After that... running the commercial was bad enough, but resenting something as basic as being expected to follow a style guide? He could never have fitted in somewhere so rigid- or appreciated why they would need to be so rigid. Hence why working at a franchise like Cinnabon, with a brand guide and a uniform, would be Jimmy's idea of hell (and arguably the fate he deserves).

Expecting Chuck to give him a job was pretty entitled behaviour really- why would a white shoe law firm hire someone with a law degree from The University of American Samoa? Granted Chuck should have been straight with him instead of stringing him along to keep him working as an unpaid carer, but Jimmy definitely had a bit of an entitled attitude there. He may loathe Howard for benefitting from nepotism but he ain't that different on that score.

Blue Jam

Elderly Sumo Prophecy