Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:09:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perplexicon

Spoiler alert
New page speculation time!
- Jimmy bargaining for his life with a Salamanca is how we opened the series, so it's fitting it's going to be a pivotal moment in how it ends too
- I can see this being the moment that drives Kim and Jimmy apart. Jimmy spends the first episode after Chuck's death trying to process the consequences of his actions, and as soon as Howard shoulders the burden for him, he's suddenly relieved of it. Is he going to let Kim shoulder the guilt of this too, and retreat deeply in to his Saul Goodman persona to avoid processing all of this?
- Kim's going to be absolutely ruined by this. This is not the sexy pranks she signed up for. I hope they don't vacuum her away though.
[close]

Dex Sawash

Spoiler alert
I hope "I save me" is still significant
[close]

Blue Jam

Is there a way to turn off spoilers? I just want to do it temporarily for the purposes of making this thread easy to read. Ta.

The Guppy

What's the usual etiquette for spoilers here? I used them in the early hours before the episode hit UK Netflix, but I don't think they're needed now.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: The Guppy on May 24, 2022, 12:11:29 PMWhat's the usual etiquette for spoilers here? I used them in the early hours before the episode hit UK Netflix, but I don't think they're needed now.

I tend to think that the afternoon onwards following an episode's release should be fair game for open plot discussion. I think it's reasonable to expect people not to click on the thread by that point if they're trying to avoid spoilers.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JamesTC on May 24, 2022, 11:11:44 AM
Spoiler alert
I would have thought it would be relatively easy to deal with Howard. He comes in ranting and raving before his drug dealer (Lalo) shot him. Everybody "knows" he is on drugs.
[close]

Good point, I think you may be right here:

Spoiler alert
Judge Eriksen suspected Jimmy was in over his head with the Cartel and urged Kim to encourage him to talk, and now it would seem obvious to Eriksen why he would be so scared of reprisals from Lalo. Maybe he'll do as Eriksen suggested and pour out a convincing sob story about how he was under pressure from the Cartel and how Lalo is a dangerous man and he had no choice but to secure his release.

In true Saul fashion he may even come up smelling of roses: getting known as that brilliant lawyer who got an obviously guilty client and flight risk off the hook, but hey, his hand was forced and he definitely wouldn't do that again, he's a good man really. The slippery fuck... Except while his professional reputation may be restored, it will be at the cost of his home life with Kim.
[close]

Blue Jam

Old Nehamkin

Now time for a completely arbitrary 7-week hiatus!

Blue Jam

Was Lalo's recorded video message a little callback to Walt's "My name is Walter Hartwell White..." video at the start of BrBa?

Petey Pate

Quote from: The Guppy on May 24, 2022, 10:38:58 AMIs anyone here watching the show, but never saw Breaking Bad? I wonder how much sense the Nebraska scenes make to those people.

I think as well this episode was the first time (in Better Call Saul) it's been made explicit (by Lalo) that Gus is building a meth lab under the laundrette. If you haven't seen Breaking Bad there have been some hints but I can imagine it being pretty confusing.

There's also the flash forward to Saul destroying his office in season 4 which also must be baffling without context from Breaking Bad.

druss

Spoiler alert
I thought Netflix had spoilt this for me by having "Suicide" in the warnings as you click play on the episode but it must have been for the season as a whole. When Howard turned up I thought "Surely he isn't going to blast his brains out in front of them?" which would have seemed like a mad escalation but as soon as the candle flickered I got what was happening.

What a fantastic episode. That's Kim done, I don't think she is going to die anymore but not a chance she stays with Jimmy now.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Who's had the worst fate in the Breaking Bad universe? Howard is up there now.
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on May 24, 2022, 03:00:28 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
Daniel Wormald. Howard may have been humilited but he was never made to sit in a pie and cry.
[close]

Serious answer:

Spoiler alert
I think Howard's death was definitely the most shocking. Even more shocking than Hank's and Drew Sharp's. And more sudden and unexpected than Nacho's. No honorable death for him either, and he won't be seen as an innocent victim, he's going to be remembered as an unhinged drug addict who slept with prostitutes in his racecar bed. Poor Howie.
[close]

lankyguy95

Spoiler alert
[close]
Brock

Povidone

Fucking hell..

Spoiler alert
Called it before this series started but was totally caught off guard by the way it went down. Lalo definitely best villain in all BB/BCS
[close]

JamesTC

Spoiler alert
[close]

Donald Margolis (John de Lancie's character)

EDIT: Chuck has to be up there too.

JamesTC

Wondered about what the actor at the start was quoting when pushing the trolley. He is quoting Roy Cohn in the play Angels in America. Roy Cohn is a lawyer who died of AIDS. I'm sure there must be some relevance to either Saul, Kim or Howard.

JamesTC

Fucking hell, only just noticed they put the fake moustache on the Frisby guy in the switched picture.

up_the_hampipe

Spoiler alert
Holy fuck! I know people suspected Howard would get mixed up with the wrong people when investigating Jimmy, but I really didn't see this happening. I was suspecting suicide, but I guess after Chuck they can't do that twice. That was nuts and I loved it! Poor Howard. Kim is going to run, surely.
[close]

JamesTC

Why would Kim leave Saul over D-Day? Kim was the main orchestrator for this whole thing. Saul tried to reign it in and even delay the plan late on.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JamesTC on May 24, 2022, 06:07:44 PMWhy would Kim leave Saul over D-Day? Kim was the main orchestrator for this whole thing. Saul tried to reign it in and even delay the plan late on.

Spoiler alert
Did you see that a man was killed in front of her? I don't think she'd run to leave Jimmy, she'd run to get away from this extremely frightening situation.
[close]

NoSleep

Quote from: JamesTC on May 24, 2022, 06:07:44 PMWhy would Kim leave Saul over D-Day? Kim was the main orchestrator for this whole thing. Saul tried to reign it in and even delay the plan late on.

Spoiler alert
Because it was all risque fun until that moment. As I said earlier, this echoes the same point in BB (end of part 1 of last season) where Hank reads Leaves Of Grass in the loo and realises who his brother-in-law really is. Likewise Kim re:Jimmy.
[close]

NoSleep

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 24, 2022, 06:05:50 PM
Spoiler alert
Kim is going to run, surely.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Right after she changes her soiled underwear.
[close]

The Bumlord

Quote from: NoSleep on May 24, 2022, 06:57:32 PM
Spoiler alert
Right after she changes her soiled underwear.
[close]

Spoiler alert
The washing machine from the Young Ones goes nom nom nom
[close]

H-O-W-L

Spoiler alert
That shot of Lalo behind Howard is going to be as iconic as any other shot in BCS/BrBa now I swear: https://i.imgur.com/3esHGol.png

The way he looks almost like a demonic ghost-face because of the contrast zone created by his eyesockets and moustache...
[close]

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What exactly is the point of this mid season break shit? It's not going to encourage people to watch more of your channel in the interim, it's just going to piss them off.

Blue Jam

I think the mid-season break being about the same length as the amount of time Bob Odenkirk took off to recover from his heart attack may not be a coincidence, especially as it happened during the filming of episode 8 and that's the episode part 2 will begin with. Apparently Peter'n'Vince didn't want a two-parter but I guess the show is also about the same length of time behind on post-production, so rather than hold the whole thing back they agreed to put it out with a short break.

It has also been suggested that ending part 1 before the 31st of May will make it eligible for the 2023 Emmy nominations, while starting part 2 in July will make it eligible for the 2024 nominations. Bit cynical perhaps but possible, not that it'll ever win an Emmy anyway...

dontpaintyourteeth

I'm just thankful there won't be an entire year in between like they did with BB

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 24, 2022, 09:33:13 AMIncredible eye acting from Bob Odenkirk at the end there. I felt every bit as horrified as Jimmy looked.

Jimmy's trembling-lipped, wide-eyed look of horror really reminded me of something and I've just realised it's the look of sheer terror on Hans Landa's face at the end of Inglourious Basterds when Aldo Raine tells him he's going to give him something he can't take off. Yep, that good. Who would have thought The Hated Milk Machine had it in him?

I have also just realised why Jimmy was silent and Kim was doing the talking- not just because Kim hadn't told Jimmy Lalo was still alive, it was also bit of a callback to the scene where it was Kim who talked Lalo out of killing them- sorry Kim, you're good but lightning doesn't strike twice. Looks like she really is made of sterner stuff than Jimmy though!

Howard's little "One of the smartest and most promising human beings I've ever known... and this is the life you choose?" speech also mirrored Hank's "Walt, you're the smartest guy I've ever met..." before his own death scene. Incredible performance from Patrick Fabian too of course, great subtle drunk acting portraying a broken man who isn't going to get another chance to land on his feet.

Just give them all Emmys already please.

Twit 2

FUCKING HELL

Was already practically clapping at how the Howard plan came off and then that happened.

Anyone notice Kim was wearing the earrings that she stole as a kid?