Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on January 03, 2022, 12:05:20 PMJoe's automated checkouts thing reminded me of some the better bits from the radio shows, (like The Points Of View singers or Adam's Happy Birthday Time song) where he'd obviously started with a ridiculous idea, realised it was ridiculous but then just had to see it through anyway. The sheer desperation of it makes it funnier somehow.

It's a shame their busy schedules presumably make a regular Adam & Joe pod impossible, but then it does make these little moments of gold more precious when they do get together.

The radio show was always best when they prepared material rather than just relying on listener contributions

Virgo76

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 02, 2022, 05:18:41 PMThis was great fun. Liked the bit about the X.

Commiserations for Adam on being cast in the sequel to the offensively bland Illumination's Sing. Garth Jennings is the director again so how he landed it. Name not big enough to get on the post next to Scarlett Johannsen and fuck me, BONO though
Given that he's secured a high profile role in the sequel to a popular and well-reviewed animated film, I'm not sure any commiseration is really necessary. Even if one or two of us might feel a bit sniffy about it, we're not exactly the target audience are we?
Well done to him, I say.

Mobbd

Quote from: Stonefish on January 02, 2022, 11:23:41 PMThat's my theory too. I imagine they first recorded it during the "who wouldn't want a receipt?" days.

A theory bolstered by the slightly dated reference to the "PIN pad".

Icehaven

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on January 03, 2022, 12:05:20 PMJoe's automated checkouts thing reminded me of some the better bits from the radio shows, (like The Points Of View singers...

I still die every time I think of this. "What did we bloopity do to you?"

gilbertharding

As a middle aged man who no longer has a single thing in common with, and therefore never sees or communicates with any of his friends, I always find it a bit bittersweet when Joe is on Adam's podcast. They do always come up with the goods, but it seems as if you can feel the price being paid every time.

Oh - and The Adam Buxton Podcast got a kind of namecheck on the Frankie Boyle show which was broadcast yesterday. Some odd, hard to fathom context - something of a swipe at that kind of podcast culture in general, I guess aimed at Miles Jupp (who has a quite good podcast himself, with Mark Wood the England fast bowler).

popcorn

Crossposting from the Graham Linehan thread:

I'm listening to Louis Theroux's new book, his diary kept during the Covid lockdowns. (It's very good, incidentally.) He mentions that he, Adam and Joe discussed Glinner during a Christmas Zoom chat,  but doesn't go into any detail other than to mention Joe's eyes "glazing over". I wonder if it was edited out of one of the Adam Buxton Podcast episodes.

Pink Gregory

Mister Six

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on January 03, 2022, 05:02:35 AMWhile it's definitely true that he got the gig through his Jennings connection, he is very good in Messy Goes to Okido - amination voiceovers are a good medium for him I think

Given all the characters he does for his adverts, I'm surprised he doesn't get more VO work. Maybe this will lead to more opportunities. He is very good, yes. I'd quite like to have him ad-libbing some Yandrew stuff in the middle of a DreamWorks film full of big American actors. He should get Peter Baynham on as a possible way in. And also because Baynham is great.

Also does anyone have a link to the Sainsbury's advert?

perennialclimb

Apropos of nothing, I was thinking about the fact that Adam never bothered to contact Limmy and get him on, despite all the promises that he would, and despite Limmy being up for it. It seems like such a missed opportunity in retrospect, given it's unlikely ever to happen now.

I wonder if he finds that particular kind of no bullshit, unapologetically working class male comic intimidating? He struggled a little with Bill Burr and although his comedy is totally different to Limmy's, I wonder if that was a factor.

Adam is so painfully upper middle class (and I say that affectionately) that I think he sometimes struggles to connect with people who don't share those kinds of cultural sensibilities.

Anything in that, do we think, or is it total bullshit?

wrec

Quote from: Mister Six on January 04, 2022, 06:47:11 PMHe should get Peter Baynham on as a possible way in. And also because Baynham is great.

He'll probably be hitting the interview circuit soon to promote "Eggs"

The Ombudsman

Quote from: perennialclimb on January 21, 2022, 02:52:48 PMApropos of nothing, I was thinking about the fact that Adam never bothered to contact Limmy and get him on, despite all the promises that he would, and despite Limmy being up for it. It seems like such a missed opportunity in retrospect, given it's unlikely ever to happen now.

I wonder if he finds that particular kind of no bullshit, unapologetically working class male comic intimidating? He struggled a little with Bill Burr and although his comedy is totally different to Limmy's, I wonder if that was a factor.

Adam is so painfully upper middle class (and I say that affectionately) that I think he sometimes struggles to connect with people who don't share those kinds of cultural sensibilities.

Anything in that, do we think, or is it total bullshit?

Not so sure, I think he wouldn't shy away from something or someone that made him feel uncomfortable, especially not how in his career. And I think they would get on OK, plenty to talk about with Limmys strange path to the limelight and his post TV career on Twitch. Maybe he was asked to have him on in earlier episodes and didn't feel then he had the skills yet to talk to someone he hadn't known on the periphery before.

I'd love to hear Limmy on the podcast for sure.

Jerzy Bondov

Maybe they did one and it's sitting in the vault for some reason. They've got a lot in common career-wise (starting off with homemade stuff, sneaking onto TV in a bit of a weird way, being comedians but not really stand-ups, making daft songs on the computer, getting sitcoms knocked back, having a big following online) so I think it would be a good interview.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Has he interviewed Jarvis Cocker? He seems like he'd be a good guest.

I saw Buxton reading his book at the theatre a few months ago. A bit pricy, considering the audiobook costs half as much for thrice the running time, but a very pleasant evening out nonetheless. One of the things he talked about is his string of failed telly pilots, which got me wondering if that's at the root of his cancel culture obsession. Does he think some past behaviour might have hurt his standing in the industry?

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 21, 2022, 04:18:48 PMMaybe they did one and it's sitting in the vault for some reason. They've got a lot in common career-wise (starting off with homemade stuff, sneaking onto TV in a bit of a weird way, being comedians but not really stand-ups, making daft songs on the computer, getting sitcoms knocked back, having a big following online) so I think it would be a good interview.

Very good point, sometimes episodes have been recorded ages ago haven't they. Hopefully that's the case here. And I agree, I bet they have lots in common and enough difference to make it interesting.

perennialclimb

Quote from: The Ombudsman on January 21, 2022, 05:11:51 PMVery good point, sometimes episodes have been recorded ages ago haven't they. Hopefully that's the case here. And I agree, I bet they have lots in common and enough difference to make it interesting.
I'm pretty sure he said on stream that Adam never followed up on it after those initial tweets, so I don't think it ever happened. Which is odd, because I remember him and Herring discussing Limmy's autobiography very positively.

I could be misremembering though, so anyone who knows better feel free to correct me!

billyandthecloneasaurus

I've just been sent a link to "Party Pom Pom".  I can sort of see why Adam is so paranoid about getting cancelled now, cus on the basis of that I feel like it wouldn't be an overreaction to have his actual life cancelled.  Fucking hell.

Pink Gregory

Thing is, to his credit, despite doing some 'it was alright at the time' slightly questionable stuff, like all comedians/broadcasters with a career as long as his will have inevitably done, he's never subsequently set himself up as an arbiter of taste or a free speech absolutist.  So why would anyone come after him, for his mild, mild takes?

The Bumlord

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on April 13, 2022, 03:26:04 PMI've just been sent a link to "Party Pom Pom".  I can sort of see why Adam is so paranoid about getting cancelled now, cus on the basis of that I feel like it wouldn't be an overreaction to have his actual life cancelled.  Fucking hell.

Haven't heard it for a while. Is it the one with the outrageous Caribbean accented middle section?

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: The Bumlord on April 13, 2022, 04:02:55 PMHaven't heard it for a while. Is it the one with the outrageous Caribbean accented middle section?
yeah it is, but its shitness almost transcends the iffyness if you know what I mean.

PlanktonSideburns

Is the concept of being beneath cancellation worse than the idea of being cancelled?

madhair60

thenoise

Is the video where he blacks his lips up to pretend to be Barack Obama saying "in your face Sarah Failin!"
I thought that was pretty funny too BTW.

The Bumlord

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on April 13, 2022, 05:10:49 PMyeah it is, but its shitness almost transcends the iffyness if you know what I mean.

Oh I do, Buckles has a naturally amusing voice and I recall chortling, I must admit #notaracist

Thosworth

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on April 13, 2022, 03:26:04 PMI feel like it wouldn't be an overreaction to have his actual life cancelled.  Fucking hell.

You think he deserves to be murdered for an accent? I'm guessing that also goes for Sting off of The Police, and some of UB40. And I hope to God you never look up Paul McCartney's Meat Free Monday rap (although in that case I think it's the cringeness that transcends the iffyness).

shiftwork2

Never got Adam Buxton, the walking prep school.  I do like how his podcasts end up in the podcast bin, perfect place for them.  That party Pom Pom thing makes the enamel on my teeth cringe.

A lot of people on here like his jingles but they just make my colon retract.

Alright cheers then lads.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Thosworth on April 13, 2022, 06:40:52 PMYou think he deserves to be murdered for an accent? I'm guessing that also goes for Sting off of The Police, and some of UB40. And I hope to God you never look up Paul McCartney's Meat Free Monday rap (although in that case I think it's the cringeness that transcends the iffyness).
Nah I think he should be killed cus it's so fucking shit and embarrassing.  And yeah transcends not in the sense that I'm lolling so much it makes me forget about the bad racism, more that the general rubbishness of it as a whole makes the hate crime voice seem somehow less important in relative terms.

Mister Six

boinks

He performed it on The Horne Section's BBC radio show too, cancel The Horne Section.

ProvanFan

Is it possible Adam's son wrote the Meat Free Monday rap?